Originally posted by dizzylizzy Don't you guys have 'In God we Trust' on your money? how many athiest and Buddhist are offened by
those words on something used and seen every day.
Yes, many people do take offense at the Confederate slogan "In God We Trust" being added to the United States Currency in 1956 to replace "E
Pluribus Unum" that had been in it's place since 1782. And now that you mention it, I'll be sure to write Congress about it right away.
At least "God" only offends a little more than 20% of the population, as the other almost 80% worship a God of some sort. God isn't the sole
property of Christians. So mainly Atheists and Wiccans and some of the Eastern Religions would take offense at a non-denominational reference. All of
the other World Religions would be fine with "God" even if they call him Thor or Brahman, or Yehovah, or Shang-ti, Cthulu, or Flying Spaghetti
Still that doesn't make it right to offend more than 1/5th of our brothers and sisters.
Originally posted by dizzylizzy This is a memorial cross that has been there since 1934 why suddenly is it and others
Doesn't your Bible teach you "To everything there is a season,
a time for every purpose under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 3:1.
Our forefathers came here to escape religious persecution. The settlers at Roanoke were escaping Christian persecution. The settlers at Plymouth Rock
were escaping persecution from the Church of England. Many early settlers were escaping persecution from the tyranny of the Catholic Church. My
ancestor Joseph Putnam still had to face religious persecution at the hands of Christians even here, during the Salem Witch Trials. Our Founding
Fathers learned from the mistakes of the past and attempted to put an end to religious persecution when they drafted the basic tenets of our Nation.
Even though this Nation was founded on principles that would protect the religious right of each person from persecution by all other religions,
religious persecution by the Christians still persisted, even into the late 1960's.
Thanks to the Beatles exploring Eastern Religions, and the Flower Children of the late 1960's and early 1970's, people came to grow more tolerant of
other religions. Where once it was a social stigma to profess a faith other than Christianity in America, it was finally tolerated (just as it was
supposed to be according to our Constitution).
It took a generation or two to die off before the majority of those that were left truly understood and valued Religious Freedom for all...not just a
select few Protestant sects of Christianity.
If anyone suggested in the 1950s that the Christian Cross was offensive to other religions, they would have had a Cross burned on their front lawn by
cowardly men wearing white robes and pointy hats. Today, if the cowardly men wearing white robes and pointy hats show up on your doorstep, the Sheriff
will come to run them out of town, even if the Sheriff is a Muslim and you happen to be Jewish.
A lot has changed in the 70 years since that Christian Cross was erected as a monument to veterans in that National Park. We now recognize African
Americans and Women as equals, rather than regarding them as genetically inferior and sub-human property as many once did. We also now recognize that
those who have made sacrifices in serving this Nation weren't necessarily Christian.
As time progresses, we learn and grow, and hopefully become a little wiser. We cannot change the wrongs of the past, but we can show that we have
learned from them. It was wrong of our grandfathers to erect a Christian Monument to commemorate only some of the veterans who gave of their lives.
The least we can do is place something that commemorates all of those veterans, regardless of their Race, Color, Creed, or Religious Denomination (or
And, if there are other monuments to the many that wrongfully represent the whole, then those can be dealt with too, in due time.