It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists identify new lethal virus in Africa

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Scientists identify new lethal virus in Africa

www.breitbart.com

ATLANTA (AP) - Scientists have identified a lethal new virus in Africa that causes bleeding like the dreaded Ebola virus. The so-called "Lujo" virus infected five people in Zambia and South Africa last fall. Four of them died, but a fifth survived, perhaps helped by a medicine recommended by the scientists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Now this wouldn't be pleasant to catch! A newly identified Ebola like virus found in rodents, and is named "LuJo". "Lujo" stems from Lusaka and Johannesburg, the cities where it was first identified.

Tests determined it belonged to the arenavirus family, and that it is distantly related to Lassa fever, another disease found in Africa.

It's after killing 4/5 of those infected and they suspect it's transmitted through exposure to bodily fluids.

"Wash your hands" seems to be the universal method of staying healthy!

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-5-2009 by Atlantican]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I recently saw this as well, was considering posting it, but you beat me to it!
Well done.

As frightening as this new disease it, it's thankfully shares ebola's 'achilles heel'... it's TOO effective and quick. However, if that disease reaches somewhere, like, say... Europe or Asia, we're looking at some very serious implications. Or if this new disease decides to slow things down a bit.

Or if one of the CDC workers examining their sample is a moron and contracts it, takes it home to their families, and they bring it forth to the greater Atlanta metro area.

Now I've gone and freaked myself out a tad. Back to my coffee.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Hehe as with anything, there's always a chance of a mistake or lab accident.

I just can't imagine what would happen if, say, swine flu or standard flu mixed with it! Not that it would, but hey, there are LABS around the world!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Ebola or Lujo by themselves would pose a far greater threat than H1N1 if they were to ever reach a metropolitan area because of the onset of symptons. By the time the correct virus had been identified you would probably have hundreds dead with thousands more infected.

Once again, thankfully, ebola and lujo are blood-borne pathogens

For now.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Oh great another plague out of Africa.

In all seriousness and i mean this as politically correct as possible, has ANYTHING worthwhile ever come out of Africa? I mean I cant remember ever hearing of a new scientific discovery or novel business method or anything of value (not talking about natural resources) having come out of that miserable continent.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
LOL DC!

Allegedly, they have produced one President of the USA! LOL! Not sure if POTUS counts as production or innovation but hey!

You have a point, though. Those poor souls are left to rot in the desert and probably not even told that there are rich forests and lots of water to be found, not far from the money!

As for production, besides exploited music & dance talent it is probably the largest mineral producer on the planet and will be for years to come. Too bad all the wealth goes to the warlords, and via their "protection tax" to a couple well known elitist & royal families.

I hope one day the people rise up and destroy the dictators as well as hunt down the dictator's puppeteers. The native Africans I've met are probably the sweetest people I've ever met. Their love for their land is blinding their hatred of their oppressors.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
See, theres another good reason to just nuke Africa, kill all of them, and turn it into the worlds Landfill or somthing. I mean we could use a "World's Mall" or somthing bad@$$ like that. Haha,
Just kidding. But it is a problem this new virus. Its somthing else to keep an eye out for. Just hope it doesnt cause a problem like the ALL MIGHTY H1N1 Pig Flu thing, which was stupid and still is. People bugging out over nothing. I dont think theres much to worry about if your healthly and strong.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Oh come on!!.... Don't we have enough viruses!!?!?!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Well, its not a flu, and it seems that it is only transmitable through contact with bodiliy fluids.

God forbid a virus like this becomes airborne. This would make swine flu look like a little sniffle.

The one thing that bugs me is that they bring this virus to study in New York (Columbia University) and Atlanta (CDC). What if this thing got loose in a large American City.

Also, I have a question for those who know more about biology than I do: Is it possible for a virus like this monster to mix with and mutate with a flu virus like swine flu?

If the answer to that question is yes, talk about de-population in a hurry.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This virus can't be mixed with something like the flu because the viruses are different and cant me mixed like you would mix say a beagle and a pit bull and make a dog with a super nose that's tough as hell. The protein coat on the outside of the virus capsule most likely dosent make it viable outside of bodily fluids for long times like the flu virus. for most of these viruses known as hemoragic fevers the danger comes when the patient bleeds out of every oriface then goes into seizures flinging blood and other bodily fluids around. its really not pretty but not one of those end of the world viruses, kills too quickly.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolate Cancer

In all seriousness and i mean this as politically correct as possible, has ANYTHING worthwhile ever come out of Africa? I mean I cant remember ever hearing of a new scientific discovery or novel business method or anything of value (not talking about natural resources) having come out of that miserable continent.

Oh my, in my opinion, plenty of worthwhile things have come out of Africa. We tend to assume that only viruses, monkeys and such originate there. I am not so sure. Maybe left alone, the peoples of Africa would thrive in their own way.

We know that many African people were taken into slavery only to have their offspring do amazing things in many places, including the US.

What business do we have focusing on the African people or the continent in a negative perspective?

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
These hemmoragic viruses have been manufactured by the world governments as a means to cut down on the worlds population. This would make the New World Government easier to institute. Just my thoughts..........

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GuiltyByDesign

Actually some moron will just packaged that bad boy right up and cart it around and it will go as a "missing vial". That seems to be the MO these days.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I can tell you that as a South African, there has been good things from that country, as for the rest....well, not much to say there (sadly) Just genocide after genocide. But South Africans have always been innovative and aspiring people.

Like Professor Chris Barnard, who performed the first heart transplant! The G5 and G6 cannons in the old SANDF. Not to mention being the first and ONLY country to have developed and had WORKING atomic bombs and dismantle their program (Libya's wasn't complete - so they don't count)

Here's a nice little link for you: www.southafrica.info...

Pratley putty holding together parts of the Apollo Eagle lander in 1969!! - I think you should seriously re-consider your question, and maybe do a little research?

(I will agree however, that the rest of Africa, unfortunately, is way behind to be honest
)

Not to derail thread, just some more nice links:

www.sagoodnews.co.za...

www.cpsl.co.za...

www.scienceinafrica.co.za...

Some more nice links

[edit on 29-5-2009 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Give this "Lujo" virus to the Baxter company, and let them study it...lol...

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by noroman

Originally posted by noroman
Give this "Lujo" virus to the Baxter company, and let them study it...lol...

I think that honestly was one of the better jabs at a Corporation I have heard on here in some time. Kudos to you.

Cept just like the past few times Baxter has made an "Oops!" they will pay off millions of dollars to make it not hit the top headlines

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Africa is quite the most beautiful piece of land that exists on this planet.

Sadly, go there and hang out with the natives, you're bound to get some deadly virus.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

We came out of Africa...

Don't whine, second line.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by SkepticPerhaps]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Diamonds come out of africa, although those are used to enslave the males of our species by the females so i guess that thats not good either.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join