It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAACP Against Free Speech at NASCAR Event

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Story Here

Members of the Miami-Dade branch of the NAACP want the Confederate flag banned from the Homestead-Miami Motor Speedway, and they will meet Thursday to decide whether to boycott a NASCAR race slated there for November.

Personal Opinion ... If the NAACP boycott a NASCAR race in Florida it won't do any damange to NASCAR or it's income levels.

NASCAR's response -

"... we don't regulate the lawful behavior of our fans or prohibit free speech and expression of our guests," Gray told FOXNews.com. "We can't tell people what to wear. Where do you start? Where does it end, as far as individual expression?"

NASCAR already doesn't allow the Confederate Flag to be sold at any of it's merchandise outlets. And NASCAR has nothing to do with the Homestead-Miami Motor Speedway other than they have one event there each year. However, the NAACP wants the Confederate Flag banned from all spectators ... from them bringing them in to wave, to their clothing, to stickers on their cars .... banned from entering the grounds. If I'm reading this correctly, they want NASCAR to do something about it.

Comments?

[edit on 5/27/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Like you said NASCAR won't be phased at all by a NAACP boycott... I mean seriously how many of them went to the race last year? Probably very few...

NASCAR's fan base will easily fill any empty seats at the track during the Sprint Cup race. Not only that but most NASCAR fans aren't caught up in the whole pollitically correct game, but they would loudly be against any actions to limit their freedom of expression. A roudy bunch we are, lol

No action will be taken.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The NAACP fights for freedom and equality and then wants to take these same principles away from other people. The NAACP has been a joke for a long time and to me this organization is only hurting the black cause.

The rebel flag to a lot of people is not about racism and slavery. It is about heritage and history. My father used to fly the American and rebel flag every 4th of July and has since stopped since the flag has been turned into a symbol of hate, racism and bigotry!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by XTexan
Not only that but most NASCAR fans aren't caught up in the whole pollitically correct game, but they would loudly be against any actions to limit their freedom of expression.

I'm not into NASCAR at all. But my parents are. If you were to go tell my parents they couldn't do something, they'd do it just to tick you off.

My parents are from the North and aren't into the Confederate Flag Heritage thing. But if you were to tell them that they couldn't wear it on a t-shirt, then by golly they'd go out and buy Confederate Flag t-shirts and shove it in the face of those taking the freedom of speech rights away from others.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Oh for petes sakes, let the folks wave their confederate flags and pretend their back in the 1700's in cottonfield Alabama... its their right, we are all entitled to what we feel in this nation, its in the constitution, doesnt matter how wrong it is, we all have that right. Its time for the NAACP to step back and take a breather. Pritty sure a couple of disgruntled southerners and their flags aint ganna harm anybody. The NAACP does more harm to what they stand for calling out against these basic rights... however ludicrous they are been used for.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
NAACP boycotting NASCAR!!!!!! OH NO!!!!
Like that's gonna hurt NASCAR.

I live in NC and I'm not into NASCAR, but of all the people I do know that are would tell the NAACP where to go in a heartbeat. The confederate flag is not necessarily a racist thing and there is history behind it other than slaves in cotton fields. I'm not from here and the flag being flown or worn or stuck on a truck doesn't offend me at all. It's called freedom of speech and tolerance of other's beliefs.

I got news for the NAACP, they are a joke. Water off a duck's back to NASCAR fans and if they really want to push it, and the Homestead-Miami speedway and that area would be really pissed if they push the issue and NASCAR decides not to run there in the future because they'll then lose out on a heck of a lotta money.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

I think this is the first time that Southern Guardian and I are in full agreement.

I lived in Alabama for 9 years. For some reason some folks still want to pretend the war never stopped. I had a very southern neighbor who kept saying 'it ain't over yet' ..
... and she was supposedly well educated. (but she didn't know where Montana was on a map of the USA ... her quote 'I ain't never going there so why should I care where it is')

For some folks that is the reason they still carry on with that flag. For others, it's a matter of heritage. For still others, it IS a segregation thing. But they all have their right to have their flag.

If the NAACP wants to stop free speech for these folks then I think those folks should demand that RAP by black 'artists' be taken off the airwaves because it insults police officers and women.

Seriously though ... if the NAACP trys to run a shakedown boycott I'm sure no one will notice or care.

[edit on 5/28/2009 by FlyersFan]

top topics

join