It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Hardcore and the Law of Attraction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Have we missed a quick route to bliss?

I've always loved Happy Hardcore, even though it's a fringe type of music. Most of my mates at school hated it, but I can't get enough of the speed, the sweet melodies, the from the heart lyrics and the awesome, massive positivity.

I've always been interested in the Law of Attraction, and recently been wondering about music, and it's ability to quickly inject a mood into yr soul. So... Will listening and meditating with the most positive music ever made give you a quick hit of serotonin, endorphins and happy vibes, and will those vibrations spill out into your life? It can be hard to ramp up the positivity, so why not do it the easy way? Have we been searching out obscure meditation tapes and paying through the nose for binaural beats when a quick path to instant bliss is right under our noses?

Alpha Waves and Happy Hardcore

One of my concerns is the high tempo of HH might move you into high beta, and not let you relax enough to access the deeper areas of your mind. This has been brought up by a few people. Personally, it makes me excited but chilled at the same time. Last night listening to DJ Ravine on Youtube I felt in touch with a real positive force...

Is ambient/New Age music really the most 'spiritual'. I'm not sure, we don't always need to be super slowed down to be blissed out and enjoying the world- Sport, Dancing, Playing Music- Your hearts beating fast but you're enjoying life to it's fullest. Can you reach alpha and below when yr heart's pumping? I'll have to check it out. Second, we're humans and supposed to run around and do stuff- maybe Happy Hardcore charges up the more material, social aspects of your life.

The following links are about Psytrance, a relative of Happy Hardcore.

From a student at Berkeley University

The basic tempo is significantly faster than most mainstream trance music, and this has been attributed to the fact that constant sixteenth notes at a tempo of 145 bpm gives a rhythm almost identical to that of the naturally occurring alpha waves in the brain.

From Psyology

It is worthy to note that a neural link is often made between the alpha waves frequencies of the human brain between 8-12Hz, associated with the state-of-trance, and the constant stream of 16th notes that is produced by Psytrance. When played at the suggested average of 145 bpm, Psytrance yields a flow of musical events at an average of 10Hz. Scientifically verified, Trance-inducing. Coincidence or more?

From The Phenomenon of Goa Trance

The frequency of alpha waves in the brain, critical in inducing trance states in humans, lies approximately between 8 and 12 cycles per second, and varies from one person to the next. Many traditional trance-inducing musics of the world contain rhythmic elements which mirror these rates. Typically performances start at the lower level and increase over a period of hours towards the higher level. The gradual increase in frequency allows for the variation in different human alpha wave frequencies. In Goa trance there is a constant stream of 16th notes which when played at the suggested average of 144 bpm yields a flow of musical events at an average of 9.6 cps. This situation parallels that of traditional trance musics. However if the average tempo of Goa trance has increased there is a chance that partiers with alpha wave rates in the lower end of the range might not lock with any of the music being played in a party situation.

Sure- Trance is slightly different from hardcore, but still...

Happy Hardcore on Youtube:

Dj Ravine Over 2 million views

Scooter

Against Happy Hardcore

HH gets laughed at for being superficial and cheesey. Plenty of Drug problems at raves, but I'm not interested in discussing that, it's against T+C's and it's boring.
I've listened to it plenty, I'm stone cold sober right now and anyone who tells you you need drugs to understand this music hasn't experienced decent, disciplined meditation. ***Requesting Mod help to keep the topic clean***

A Cool Idea

If anyone's got a Flanagan Neurophone... HH pumped straight into your body might be an awesome experience.
A Youtube comment about Neurophones:

Here is a little history on the neurophone concept. It was invented by Antonio Meucci About 1849 he called it the Physiophony, later named neurophony it was a discovery while using electrodes to help cure medical illness while trying to fix a guys migraine. His discovery allowed deaf person to actually hear, he set up music halls for them to dance to the music as they could hear it clearly.

The Way Forward

HH needs to slow down a bit, maybe to 145 bpm to take advantage of the Psytrance effect, shed its gormless fringe image, and be properly researched by individuals and serious, open-minded scientists.

Questions

1. Do you often use music in meditation? What kind?

2. What's the most positive music you know?

3. Have you experienced positive LOA effects that you can directly attributed to music?

4. Do you think the combined positivity of people at concerts has a positive effect on the matrix?

5. Are you aware of any other research on Electronic music and brain waves?

6. Have you ever tried a Neurophone?

7. Any producers out there who've tried slowing HH down and making Happy Ambient trance?

[edit on 15f20093pmWed, 27 May 2009 13:14:22 -050022 by HiAliens]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Happy hardcore is the only music i listen to even though i have not been clubbing or raving for 11 years now. Loved it then and now.

One thing i noticed about happy hardcore, is that certain groups do not seem to like it, have you also found this.

I just loved the sounds and the really happy feelings it put through your body.

Psy trance form what i remember bored me.

I found either fast techno or happy hardcore was class.

I thought about this stuff like you, and highly probably the music was devised in some music lab or something, measuring peoples emotions. There is so much going on behind the scenes.

If it was my way i would tell everyone to listen to happy hardcore, if you have depression it is class for you.

But i did notice that some groups do not like it when i was younger, lol.

But you right happy hardcore is the best music in the world, and i always think its like what old compossers used to create in the old days. Just listen to the piano sounds in happy hardcore, and you fill up with emotion, it must be like how people used to listen to mozart all those years ago.

You do not need drugs to experience happy hardcore, just relax, and let yourself go. I do not do drugs, and i still love it so much.

[edit on 5/27/2009 by andy1033]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I see no reason as to why good mood music (of any genre) could raise your good mood vibes (no, not DJ Vibes
) I don't tend to listen to music to meditate to, unless it's floaty, ambient type tunes, with very relaxing tones. harder faster music, i prefer to listen to when I want an uplifting experience, or just a little dance in me bedroom. Music is fantastic for elevating your mood, it's why i never listen to sad music, as i don;t want to be sad. Even if i am sad or depressed, I'll whack something on i can dance to. (but not happy hardcore, I'm sorry, but that's overdosing on happy for me, prefer some nice solid acid techno, hence my username, for me, it's happy music, as i associate many a cracking night out to it))

I also listen to angry music, like gabba, when I'm angry. I can feel the tension melt out of my fingers as a 500bpm track hits me upside the head. Mellow stuff when I'm angry, makes me more angry. (I'm strange like that)

edit to add (cos i'd gone off on one) I see no reason as to why listening to happy music, which makes you feel great inside, could help with the LOA. As happyness is a much stronger energy than anger or hate. So it sort of stands to reason that it could work.

edit again, cos I like it like that.... Back to not needing drugs to enjoy dance music. A little poem i wrote many years ago.

I do not need xtc, amphetamines or lsd
ketamine skag or coke, you see
Cos music is a drug to me
it makes me dance, move my body
jump like a loon, at a party
You could say I'm a techno junkie
As i'm quite happy with a spearmint wriggly.

aaaand good night

[edit on 27/5/2009 by Acidtastic]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

One thing I noticed about happy hardcore, is that certain groups do not seem to like it, have you also found this?

Yeah, there's a lot of snobbery and general nonsense around music, specially when yr at school. One thing I think with HH is that people are so depressed in general nowadays that they think any sincere, pure, loving feelings are cheesey + shallow. I mean, some people sneer at that Scooter song I posted... If you don't like HH then fair enough, but it might be worth questioning why...
EDIT: I don't mean to imply that anyone who doesn't like HH is definitely a depressed snob! Maybe it doesn't float yr boat. I just think some people are frightened of the sincerity and find it difficult to feel those true, deep emotions.

highly probably the music was devised in some music lab or something, measuring peoples emotions. There is so much going on behind the scenes.

Behind the scenes? Like what? Got any links or any stories? I'm open minded and would love to hear anything.

Last, who do you think are the best HH producers? I don't want to get too caught up in a general music discussion but I'm still exploring it and I'd like to know who's good.

[edit on 15f20093amWed, 27 May 2009 11:20:08 -050008 by HiAliens]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Go on to youtube and check out videos which use the solfeggio scale. This is apparently "pure" music notes. Certain tones are said to be good for certain things, like healing, and dealing with awakening the spiritual nature inside you.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The collective experience EVERYONE has at a show is a magnificent thing. To bring thousands of people together all focusing on one thing central stage, well, its just plain awesome. Ive always thought this collective experience is a very tangible thing, even if we cant physically see it with our eyes.

as long as were adding vids....

alot of people hate Rush and some of their stuff is about as complicated as music could possibly be.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by HiAliens

1. Do you often use music in meditation? What kind?

Personally I prefer New Age because I do Yoga and I am still stuck in the "fast beats=dancing or clubbing or getting ready for work" mentality. I do however love, love, love the electronic new age genre.

Showtunes! No, really!

3. Have you experienced positive LOA effects that you can directly attributed to music?

Always.

4. Do you think the combined positivity of people at concerts has a positive effect on the matrix?

The crowd makes the concert or the performance in my opinon.

5. Are you aware of any other research on Electronic music and brain waves?

I have heard about it before, but never to the extent as you just described it. Like I stated above, I love the effect BPM has on my energy...I suppose thats why they call it "Trance"?

You know, I had never heard of one until today. That would be a fun experiment.

7. Any producers out there who've tried slowing HH down and making Happy Ambient trance?

Actually yes! When I used to have my turntables I think I bought some HH records that were on sale
I enjoyed HH when I was out but not really home on my own. I would try to slow them down to more my style....but I was rubbish (hence why I don't have them anymore)

I really enjoyed your thread. I had never thought of BPM and brain waves, only the heart. I will now research this more because the more I think about it.....it seems to be right on the money!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'm back again. Back to what you were saying about people who classify stuff as "cheesy" . Now, I classify Scooter as cheesey. Infact, if there was a cheese scale, Scooter would have just broken it, and i want my money back!!

Now, old school classics can, i suppose, be seen as happy hardcore thse days.

I mean, DJ Reckless- I think it's time to make the floor burn. Is hardcore, and it's happy. But it's not in the same league of happy as scooter, or the party animals. (if you like scooter, you'll like them)

Piano rifts for the win!! Going back to a time of quality happy music
(in my opinion of course)

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

alot of people hate Rush and some of their stuff is about as complicated as music could possibly be.

What's with the Rush reference? Did I miss something here?

I don't listen to the stuff in this thread, I don't even consider it music but each to his own. I can admit I am a music snob, always have been, so let's just leave it at that. I can, however, answer some of the questions posed.

I just picked up some Beatles - the Purple Chick/Dr. Ebbet's needle drop series, really good stuff. How it was supposed to be heard, at least as close as can be got and it's really quite astounding. What the Anthology never was. The White Album sessions is ten discs - it's really impressive the job they did with this. Too bad it will never be released so people could know about it, as it stands now it's only a torrent download.

Rock Television - Progressive Rock

Transatlantic - Stranger In Your Soul

Just a little taste of some of what I listen to.

Of course! Just watch a few minutes of this show - Rush in Rio - the crowd is amazing. Say what you want to about the sound but the crowd makes the show much more interesting.

Rush In Rio

As I typed that last link, Rush In Rio came on the prog channel I'm watching. A little weird synchronicity. Now I'm busy playing air drums.

Music is about the only thing I enjoy in life anymore. Been listening to some new(Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know, Planeshift - Fatebreed)) and old stuff(Queensryche - Operation:Mindcrime) recently and it's gotten my blood flowing a little better. It helps ease my mood with all the idiotic crap going down.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
ive always hated happy hardcore. too little girl-ish for me. not trying to hate, just opinion. I know people that like it, but the beats are too bland for me. (enter night at roxbury dance with UMPH UMPH UMPH HOUSE HOUSE MUSIC MUSIC)

ive always been a big jungle and drum n bass fan. NO LIGHTS IN THE JUNGLE ROOM!! i like the darker driving bass with drums and eerie highs. scary sometimes how dark a beat really can be.

within the past few years ive been listening to minimal techhouse (swayzak, akufen...) really gets me in the mood for work. its like a soundtrack of life for me. ive never liked pop music and the lyrics are just distracting. hate corporate attempts at music. thats the real reason why they are losing money; suits making music. another topic tho im sure.

I definitely agree with you about reaching a higher plane while listening; no drugs needed. Good music that isnt distracting can really awaken you while listening.

heres some samples of minimal with a description as well.

Minimal techno is a form of electronic dance music (EDM) that is considered a minimalist sub-genre of techno. It is characterized by a stripped-down[1] aesthetic that exploits the use of repetition, and understated development. This style of dance music production generally adheres to the motto less is more; a principle that has been previously utilized, to great effect, in architecture, design, visual art, and Western art music. The tradition of minimalist aesthetics in Western culture can be traced to the German Bauhaus movement (1919 to 1933). Minimal techno is thought to have been originally developed in the early 1990s by Detroit based producers Robert Hood and Daniel Bell.[2][3]

en.wikipedia.org...

swayzak - no sad goodbyes

swayzak - speedboat

white noise carousel - Oceania Indymedia Newsreel (really out there)

akufen - psychometry col 3

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Boys and girls

I can't stand Happy Hardcore. It just pure cheese to me. I'm more of a DnB fan really, its just immense. I love it when the bass is just surrounding you, with some brilliant speakers, its just pure bliss.
Ill post some tunes in a sec that i really love.
I do quite like dupstep too, but i just can't stand the negative feeling often attached to some of the songs.

Here's the greatest Drum and Bass tune ever:

And abit of dupstep

What you guys think of those babies then?

Love&Light,

Jacob

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Thanks for all your interesting replies. I'm reading and enjoying all of them. I'm interested in going deeply into the meta-physical and neurological aspects. I'm listening to a DJ Ravine mix right now and like some people have said, the energy goes all over your body. I can feel it in my legs, woooosh.

Proposed Experiment

-Take four young people from a pool of a hundred of so.
-Psychologically profile them so they're as similar as possible.
-Give them 4 types of music. A)Death Metal, B) Classical C) Happy Hardcore and PsyTrance D) Country
-Each person must listen to his/her selected music group at least four hours a day.
-Catalogue mood, emotional stability, blood pressure, serotonin levels, dietary habits, social habits.
-Take a month off and continue to catalogue
-Each individual swaps to next group and experiement continues.

Might make an interesting documentary.

Big Question

Bearing in mind recent discoveries in science that show we may be connected to others energetically, Sheldrake's morphogenic field, ancient religious texts that speak of mind to mind communication, and your own gut feeling:
Do you think that a DJ's feelings may be able to modulate onto to the sound from the speakers and affect the crowd's emotion?
I'm not talking on a psychological level, like the effect a big name has on you, but on an energetic level which sees the body as an antenna sender/receiver.

From The Manual, "How to have a number one the easy way" by the KLF

The Techno sound of Detroit, the most totally linear programmed music ever, lacking any human musicianship in its execution reeks of sweat, sex and desire. The creators of that music just press a few buttons and out comes - a million years of pain and lust.
We await the day with relish that somebody dares to make a dance record that consists of nothing more than an electronically programmed bass drum beat that continues playing the fours monotonously for eight minutes. Then, when somebody else brings one out using exactly the same bass drum sound and at the same beats per minute (B.P.M.), we will all be able to tell which is the best, which inspires the dance floor to fill the fastest, which has the most sex and the most soul. There is no doubt, one will be better than the other.

[edit on 15f20093pmWed, 27 May 2009 13:19:17 -050017 by HiAliens]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
whos afraid of detroit???

quote from above: "The Techno sound of Detroit, the most totally linear programmed music ever, lacking any human musicianship in its execution reeks of sweat, sex and desire. The creators of that music just press a few buttons and out comes - a million years of pain and lust."

i think this is what that means....

stanton warriors

actually BT is famous for doing this with numbers as the creator of his music. His numbers of choice are the fibonacci sequence.

BT has written his own software called BreakTweaker for his latest album. He was intending to release it in 2007 under his software company, Sonik Architects. He plans to then come out with a line of tools and plugins specifically aimed at musicians and DJs, including his signature stutter edit.[33] He has a team of developers now working on delivering a feature-complete product leaving him free to focus on higher level architecture and development. In addition to his "BT Stutter" edit,[7] BT's signature sound is also achieved by means of a method of sound manipulation called granular synthesis, where sounds are broken apart into tiny pieces and rearranged to create very chaotic and wild soundscapes.[34] BT is one of the direct pioneers of time correction techniques.[35] Time correction is a method by which a producer takes a series of samples with random occurrence (such as rain) and time corrects each individual hit according to a rhythmic and mathematical grid, much like the BT stutter. The result is that the seemingly random pulses take on a rhythmic form as well as a developing pattern, but retain their chaotic and unpredictable character. Transeau has developed his own method of time-correcting which he calls "nano-correcting," which is correcting any note shorter than a 64th note (he often edits to the 1,024th and 2,048th notes). He is writing a book on stutter editing and time correcting and has included a chapter on nano-correcting.[35]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JacobNH

i like your style

heres some db for ya. one of the hardest tracks ever IMO

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

Ah nice one mate, that tunes pretty smart.
The drop at about 1:10 is immense.
Cheers man,

I could go on and on with some tunes for you, but i dont wanna steal the thread topic

But heres one :

I really love that tune, it has a really strong positive feeling attached to it, and if you listen to the lyrics at the beginning, i think he speaks alot of truth.

Heres the lyrics:

"Sometimes I, I feel like I dont know what's going on
And sometimes I'm led to believe everything I know is wrong
I keep on telling myself that it's real
And always keeping the truth it's all in my mind
Explanations for the way that I feel
Are so hard to find"

I think those lyrics are quite true.

So back on topic, i've never thought of pumping music through a Neurophone before, i can imagine it would be quite cool.
The different styles of music with different feelings would be awesome too.
Can anyone could buy a Neurophone?

Love&Light.

Jacob

[edit on 27/5/2009 by JacobNH]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony

What's with the Rush reference? Did I miss something here?

I don't listen to the stuff in this thread, I don't even consider it music but each to his own......

.....Now I'm busy playing air drums.

I was simply drawing a blind comparison of Rush to HH because the OP stated some people dont like happy hard core because it is to complex or busy.

all i have to say is "Peart - For the Win!!!!"

If i ever had to make a winning field goal or something, i would have to have this song playing, because it takes me from 60 heart beats a minute up to about 120, haha.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
getting this thread slightly back onto the metaphysical side of things....

See if this gives you those tingly feelings. This is the solfeggio thing I referenced earlier.

Some say that music can effect matter, and that music many years ago, would have been in this scale, nice and pure. The frequencies we tune instruments to in this time, are apparently not to solfeggio scale. You'd have to get that checked, as I'm not sure if that's actualyl true or not. Just reciting from memory.

Anyway, check the video, see if you can feel anything.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
on the subject of binural beats... Have you guys heard of a program called iDoser?

not sure if this post will stay up because of the subject of what this program is supposed to do, but heres a shot.

www.i-doser.com...

I-Doser Labs is the leading producer of Binaural Brainwave CDs and computer applications. Using proven, scientific, and safe methods of synchronizing your brainwaves; a simulated state can be achieved through the use of our advanced audio CDs, or the I-Doser Application, and a pair of high quality stereo headphones. Our Binaural process has been refined with years of research and development. With thousands of satisfied users, the I-Doser Labs CDs, MP3s, and the I-Doser Application for PCs continue to lead the industry as the only safe and effective method to achieve a simulated mood or experience.

apparently you are supposed to use really good headphones and it will put you into a trance where you believe you feel a certain way.

i think its more placebo effect than anything as i have tested this and only got a headache. i think my eyes crossed at one point

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

HiAliens, what's good......Beats. Rhymes. Life.
Well, I've been in the DJ scene for over 15 years, so I feel I need to respond to this thread. Interesting thoughts, btw. Refreshing.
I grasp ya!

As for Laws of Attraction, Music might be the ultimate tool.
Music is also the universal language.
Yes, music "spills out in my life" on a daily basis.
Instant bliss indeed.

It's amazing how any melody, can touch core. I don't care if you're in your 70's, but throw a lttle George Clinton on and the finger starts tapping.
I tap the music source frequently. "Sessions" as I like to call them in my life.
As for HH, that's your cup of tea then brutha. I liked the speedier BPM's when I was younger, and one cool thing about electronica in general, is the various different styles, trends.
DJ Ravine has crazy skills on the decks btw. He reminds me of Q-bert on the cuts. But yeah, glad he can elevate you to another level.
For me, it's always the 'female vocals' in the cut that do it for me.

Here's a GEM I'd like to share. It's Orbital remixing Lisa Gerrard's "A Perfect Sunrise." You may find her voice familiar from the movie 'Gladiator.' (Now We Are Free) Her voice gives me the goose bumps.!

Yeah, I'm all about breaks. Dj Rap, Adam Freeland, Icey, Hybrid, etc.
And of course, turntablism, and the past ten years MASH-UP.
I really got the hook on Mash-up. I'm a HUGE DJ Z-Trip fan.
I highly, highly suggest dowloading the "Easy Listening" mix on this link:
(go to downloads, scroll down, it's in 4 parts)
This mix will knock you on your asS! I remember when I first heard it, (mid 90's) I wanted to get my hands on it soooo bad. It was bidding on E-Bay for $500. I ended up getting a copy on cassette, from exchanging music from some1 in UK.
Ohh yeah, sorry. here djztrip.com...

Here's a quick fix. if you have 90 seconds to spare, go to 4:30 in the video:

It mentions the documentary "Scratch" which is a complete masterpiece!

As for Ambient, yes indeed. There's alot of really good stuff.
My favorite label actually is Waveform Records (out of Texas).
www.waveformhq.com...

They have plenty of good streaming all day long, for free.
As for their compilations, absolutely incredible. Here as some of my favorites.
TWO A.D (really good laid back (soft beat) ambient.
EARTHJUICE (reggae dub ambient) good stuff!
SLUMBERLAND (very, very chill ambient)

I can't help myself without mentioning Hybrid again.
They really clinch it for me in terms of melody, finesse, creativity.
www.hybridsoundsystem.com...
They have good downloads available, and you can listen in on past sets.

Wide Angle (album) is an absolute must own.

To answer some more of your questions:

Absolutely. First off, I live for shows. What better feeling is there than catching a sick show, and trying to make the feeling last because you've had such a good time, and met so many cool people.
Again, the universal language. Music.

5. Are you aware of any other research on Electronic music and brain waves? Not certain, but the first thing that came to my mind with this question is Richie Hawtin. aka PlastiKman, aka, Fuse.
en.wikipedia.org...

Here's his website: www.plastikman.com...

He's teamed up with Bobby Bird (UK) and the Higher Intelligence Agency label, and if anyone in the industry touched base on music and brain waves, it's these guys. Richie's a sicky!
From a medical side, not sure. You'd have to look into it more.

Not yet.

Check out Simon Reynolds. Also, Omni Trio, and even Goldie, who's been developing new styles outside of Jungle.

I think you'd really like trip-hop. Kinda fits in the category.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Indeed. And Mix Master Mike alllllllllll day! Legendary!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join