It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dumbing Down of Each Generation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Here we go, this has been on my mind for a long time.... But I didn't know how to explain it. And maybe I still don't.

I am not that old, so can't really go back too far, so this is already pushing it.

In the 1950's - 1970's-ish, kids were able to watch things that were educational. Things that made them think, or taught them things. It made kids be naturally inquisitive.

Examples:

1950's Mr Wizard would provide some scientific stuff to kids in a fun way.

I dunno how to imbed... or it just didn't work?
Oh well, moving on....

1980's... My time... My all-time favourite show.. My Little Pony.
Taught kids to work together, problem-solving... seeing the best in people... To try and always see the rainbow through the clouds.

Dunno if this one will work, either....

Now, an example that depresses me...

This is what is offered to children of today. Welcome to the dumbing-down. Where children learn from Dora that in America, speaking Spanish is a MUST. In My Little Pony, value a pair of socks more than your family -- and the worst problem you will ever have to solve in life, is trying to get those shy pegasis' to join your tea party.

Good luck, this in combination with funding for schools dropping by the day, and we are truly screwed as a country.

EDIT: Typo...

[edit on 24-5-2009 by LostNemesis]

[edit on 24-5-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I would have to agree. I have seen some of the most appauling things on tv that kids should not see, but yet its directed at kids. My first example would be Ed, Edd, and, Eddy. When I was younger, I found comfort in science and geography. With a little Looney Toons added in, I learned perserverance from Wiley E Coyote.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by acewilliams

No hate against Spongebob or anything, but has anyone seen those videos that show pconstant remarks made by Spongebob and the rest of the cast relating to vulgar topics? Its worth a look.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I'm not so sure it's a conscious dumbing down but more a sign how progressively shallow our society is becoming.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Piranha

I try to avoid Spongebob. When I have seen it, I have literally felt like my IQ was dropping. It is a horrible show, and I believe the only reason they would get away with the vulgarity is that parents cant stand watching it.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I would hate to think of the dumbing down of cartoons as anything less than a conscious and deliberate decision on somebody's part.

thisguyrighthere once posted a video that made me think about this topic further. It was the deliberate control over all programs on the television, to make sure that nothing of any quality would come on the TV at any time.

Back on topic.... When I was a kid, many of us learned the alphabet and numbers before entering school. Even Sesame Street provided at least that much. Shallow, and stupid, is not something I want to look forward to.

As it is, I wonder how kids will transition from the 'age of plenty', to more of a '3rd world status' lifestyle. A time is coming, when every 8 year old will not be equipped with an Ipod and mobile phone.

In the 3rd world, many children are not entitled to an education at all. With the quality of the shows for kids to choose from now, does it seem maybe we are moving that direction??

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

You see design, I see cause and effect run amok into a downward spiral. Who is to say is correct? I am not egotistical enough to say I. *Not saying you are either.* But I think it's a by-product, people demand less quality, less quality is given.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I have to agree with the OP sadly . I have been talking about that with a few of my friends recently . Has anybody recently watched the main kids channel , meaning cartoon network
If you don't , humour me and try a session lets say 1h , and I bet you you will be amazed , but not in a good way

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
I'm not so sure it's a conscious dumbing down but more a sign how progressively shallow our society is becoming.

You're joking, aren't you. An intentional constant dumbing of humanity is clearly one of the main parts of the agenda.

The prime responsibility for the pitiful current situation does not lie with the humans themselves but with the lies and corruption of the PTB network and their mainstream media. They’re literally - and deliberately - dumbing down humanity and preventing/destroying any spiritual development, by massive disinformation and thousands of lies. A being cannot evolve if he/she’s constantly lied at and misinformed. Things cannot change for the better while the excruciating misuse of the mainstream media persists.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by WonderfulWorld]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Thill

My kids watch the "Sprouts" channel which has some rather good shows on there.
www.sproutonline.com...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by WonderfulWorld

See the post above thill's please.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I ageee with the OP when my kids were young there was many informative yet fun childrens programmes.

Imo childhood experiences have been dumbed down, here in the UK many children are not allowed to play in the park, walk to a school that is 10 mins away.
The government has brainwashed parents that there is danger around every corner.
Little Johnny or Susan sits at home watching rubish tv or playing mind numbing X box games or whatever the latest gadget is.

The only learning now is at school which is State controlled.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Not exactly true. Like the example I gave above. You have to have cable and dig for the channel. There are a few still showing good shows. But I do agree the crap pile is getting bigger.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Everytime this sort of discussion comes up, I can't help but think of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

If you haven't read this particular novel yet, I cannot stress it's importance enough. If you read it and still don't get it, U2U me anytime.

*note - DO NOT WATCH THE "MOVIE" VERSION. It has little to nothing to do with the actual book. It was extremely "dumbed down" (so much in fact, that I ripped my hair out watching it and still want to scream my fool head off when anyone references it. It's horrid.
)

Sorry I'm not giving any Cliff Notes out of the book here, but it's for a reason. I know you guys aren't afraid of a little "homework".

______

(edit to add)

Does anyone think the rise in childhood autism might have something to do with this new breed of children's programs?

[edit on 5/24/09 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
(edit to add)

Does anyone think the rise in childhood autism might have something to do with this new breed of children's programs?
[edit on 5/24/09 by GENERAL EYES]

WOW! I am willing to bet that it has something to do with all of the kids being diagnosed as ADD or Hyperactive.... Honestly, what kid wants to sit and learn anymore? It apparently is not ingrained into them from an early age, like it used to be. I think even Bill Nye the Science Guy was better than the Spongebob: Ed, Edd, and Eddy crap that comes on now!!

Also adding:
I have to say, it's horrible to hear that the same thing is happening in the UK. Parents are constantly being bombarded by the idea that their neighbours molest kids. Or that there is a terrorist waiting behind every bush. I mean, come on... This might be a total break down of the family unit. Brainwashing in the schools, attempts to ban homeschooling...
And then they got propaganda to make sure nobody trusts their neighbour too.

It is MUCH easier to manipulate and control a dumbed-down, poor populace.... A look at ANY third world country will tell us this.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I believe that it is a dumbing down. As time has gone on, we have needed people to create technology. When we got to the point where technology could create itself, there was no more need for builders. Soon we might not even need human programmers. Looking at the advances of technology, it has a direct correlation with the decline of human intelligence.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by acewilliams

While I disagree that technology is creating itself I do agree with the rest. But you'd be hard put to convince me this was by someones design short of some pretty compelling evidence. Says something about man's inherent laziness you ask me.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I'd rather have people glued to the television set enjoying what others may consider "substandard programming" as opposed to the alternative of those self-same couch potatoes getting into who-knows-what kind of mischief because their base desires weren't being catered to.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I just wanted to add this, since this is ATS and all....

The My Little Ponies, UFO-related. Since when are kids encouraged to think about UFO's/Flying Saucers????

Just, awesome... And I think keeping an open mind is discouraged from a young age. It has been many years since the earth had its last Leonardo da Vinci...

People are just NOT growing up and creating things anymore. I think the shows being dumbed down, may be a part of that.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
since pre-roman times people have been moaning about how kids are getting dumber, ruder and anything else you can imagine. It's quite simply and ego thing, in fact kids are on average much smarter now than say fifty years ago due mostly to the internet.

It one of those classic tricks of the mind, because 'older folk' don't really 'get' what the kids are talking about (memes, media references, modern tech such as twitter) plus they now see the world very differently to when they were a kid, years of work and dullness set the brain into a fairly ridged pattern and it's thus easy to forget how different the world looks through kids eyes.

So don't worry it's all fine - the low quality TV tat from your forgotten age isn't smarter or cleverer than programs available in the modern world, mobile phones aren't going to ruin spelling (in fact quiet the inverse it was proven) and the internet isn't turning people into a nation of lazy slobs anymore than the TV of your day and age did.

basically this is the same debate as the text message ruining the english language debate, - never once do people who make such a wild claim stop to see how people used to communicated, the great romantic poets for instance Byron would themselves trim "you're" down to "UR" when writing letters to friends due to the high price of paper - i don't think anyone ever said Byron was destroying his ability to use english lol.

Edit to add: I really should have mentioned the Cherry Picking Fallacy too, TV is full of good programs for kids about art, science and things

also: what exactly #IS# the problem with teaching kids that socks are good in winter? it's a whole heap more useful than that silly science program, srsly what kid is gonna say 'oh conduction stops the paper reaching burning point, that'll be useful during my formative years...' socks are where it's at my friend. Also it's far more important to teach kids how to understand and coexist in the world around them, i certainly don't want to offend anyone but maybe that's what older generations lacked?

The kids brain seeing the many types of person, many possible positive and negative personality traits, etc will build in capacity for this - the complexity and interestingness of kids TV is much higher now, maybe the problem is some of the older generation don't even understand it? I'm shocked to see spongebob in the hate list, i'm 27 and i can still pick up the occasional life lesson from spongebob! maybe you should try relaxing and enjoying whats going on then you'll start to grock it, maybe?

[edit on 24-5-2009 by NatureBoy]

[edit on 24-5-2009 by NatureBoy]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join