It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dumbing Down of Each Generation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I read in my college government textbook, a couple years back, that the average college graduate of today is less knowledgeable than the average high-school graduate of...either the 1960's or 1970's. Sorry, I don't recall which one. Point being, we're definitely learning less, remembering less, caring about less, thinking about less, etc...

I think this partly has to do with diet. I tend to tie diet in with many of the problems today. The topsoil has been mostly depleted of it's nutrients. On the whole, people eat garbage (at least where I live in Texas). They drink waste.

Just look at what's in those damned energy drinks. People are finding the need to pump so much caffeine in their body mostly because the body is already damaged. Caffeine basically pumps out the adrenaline, faster than it can be restored. It's not natural to put such pressure on our system for extended periods of time (day after day).

Most people are sub-clinically in starvation mode, while keeping with the status-quo of pushing beyond repair! It doesn't matter that most Americans are overweight or obese, we're still starving from lack of adequate nutrition. This leads to detrimental psychological states. Depression, apathy, mania, insomnia, schizophrenia, etc...

It doesn't help that we've got video-games and idiotic T.V. programs like American Idol. It truly does seem like we're being conditioned into utter stupidity. Is this true, though? I think most people willingly take the easy route. We've simply got it too good these days (at least we did!), and most people could care less to engage their minds in any real sense.

(un)Civilization is tragic in it's current state. Disgusting at worst, blissful at best. Neither extreme perception really does much for the situation though. It simply seems we're devolving at an accelerated rate, and their's no turning back.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

First i should say i don't watch american idol because i think it's retarded. That said, what's wrong with it? really? sure it's not my cup of tea but for people who like battle between talentless idiots which ends in a slightly less talentless idiot being the winner - whats wrong with that as a concept?

I live in one of the most fertile areas of the world so i don't know about it being down to mineral depletion, although yeah i'm sure Texas has terrible problems with that. I can't agree enough with you on the low quality of the average diet; energy drinks, snack food, instant pizza, etc - certainly in America because u guys have no real food safety rules, if someone wants to sell a sweet made of Aspertame, MSG and a host of other non-nutritive poisons and sell it as UNCLE JOE'S HEALTH DROP then they can.

The REAL problem is no one even cares, live - work - die that's all most people are ever going to do in this depressing world, whats anything even matter? I'm sure most people would be more than able to make the effort if they wanted to but they won't, someone else will do it or it won't get done -what's it got to do with me? kinda attitude. That and whatever has been tried in the past has never made anything better, all that great worthy TV from back in the day - didn't make the world any better did it? People are apathetic, the majority always will be that's how it's bound to be - if you want something doing, get up do it yourself and make it easy for people to trundle behind on your path with their eyes half closed.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy

First i should say i don't watch american idol because i think it's retarded. That said, what's wrong with it? really? sure it's not my cup of tea but for people who like battle between talentless idiots which ends in a slightly less talentless idiot being the winner - whats wrong with that as a concept?

??

You said it's retarded. I said it's idiotic. How is spending your time watching something idiotic/retarded not a wrong? Would you say watching paint dry is right? I'm not trying to make this into a moral issue, but since you took it there I'd have to say willingly being a part of the dumbing down of humanity is wrong. We may not have too many options with some things that are going on in the world, but not watching idiotic/retarded programming is one of them. I don't watch regular T.V. I refuse to be brainwashed by advertisement & the shows I do watch aren't retarded & are commercial free.

The REAL problem is no one even cares, live - work - die that's all most people are ever going to do in this depressing world, whats anything even matter? I'm sure most people would be more than able to make the effort if they wanted to but they won't, someone else will do it or it won't get done -what's it got to do with me? kinda attitude. That and whatever has been tried in the past has never made anything better, all that great worthy TV from back in the day - didn't make the world any better did it? People are apathetic, the majority always will be that's how it's bound to be - if you want something doing, get up do it yourself and make it easy for people to trundle behind on your path with their eyes half closed.

People are apathetic, but I don't think all people are nihilistic as you seem to be. Many great things have been made better over time! Haven't they?! We used to punch holes in cards and feed them into gigantic storage devices just to make a simple computation. I think that thing has gotten better. If you're talking about making the world better than I agree. We've been slowly demolishing this planet.

I find it great folly to say something seems to have been one way, is currently so, and that being the case...it must always be so. Have we learned nothing at all? Have we not advanced our selves in every which way since the dawn of our species? Intellectual capacity. Emotional capacity. Just because it's not currently being used properly, doesn't mean that we're always going to be in a rut.

Who knows?, we might not make it through the next couple of centuries, but I see no point in putting it cut in stone. IMO there seems to be much evidence pointing to the former, but I'm willing to go against the grain on this one. I think we're worth it, no?

edit for: we're not an "it's", so I changed the 4th & 5th last words to reflect this

[edit on 24-5-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
also the shows for young teens, in america are just rediculous. its all crap you know the stuff of nikalodeon and disney. It's like its made for mentally retarded people.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Well said. I was going to post the same arguments but you beat me to it.

Put current kids in a room full of kids from 40 years ago and it would be pretty obvious that todays kids have much more knowledge.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thill
I have to agree with the OP sadly . I have been talking about that with a few of my friends recently . Has anybody recently watched the main kids channel , meaning cartoon network
If you don't , humour me and try a session lets say 1h , and I bet you you will be amazed , but not in a good way

A few months ago I was at a friends house and she has 2 little ones under 5. We were watching the Cartoon Network and I was surprised at some of the stuff on there. Sponge Bob has shocked me a few times because some of the content just seemed inappropriate for kids! I dont have kids so I usually watch TLC, Disc and the History Channel... As for Dora my friends daughter loves her! I was watching it and had no idea what was going on since well I dont speak Spanish but the little one understood and she repeats what is said in it....I personally grew up on Thundercats, Smurfs, Fraggle Rock and Snorkels..lol!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I saw leave others to what they want and follow your own path. Otherwise you are no better than those that are on constant crusades to take away other's freedom because they don't like what people do with them.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

What is it that I said, which makes you think I'm trying to control anyone but myself? I stated observations and opinions. I never said I was trying to tell people how to be.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I LOVED Mr. Wizard as a kid.
One of the best shows on TV.

We are being dumbed down, no question about. In fact, it's by belief that our entire educational system is merely a means of ensuring the majority of our population feel they have no other options other than to work their tales off at the mercy of the wealthy.

I dropped out of high school my sophomore year and started my first company. I've had many ups and downs since then but now in my early 30's I do very well and there is no way I would have been able to do what I do had I followed the standard system.

We need to be pushing our youth to create their own futures, not relive those who came before them.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy

It's quite simply and ego thing, in fact kids are on average much smarter now than say fifty years ago due mostly to the internet.

I wouldn't gauge smartness as the ability to use and to learn internet and computers... Maybe slighty because computers and internet dominate a huge part of our everyday business nowadays.

But look at what kids doing on the internet mostly, they don't look at topics like Orbital Mechanics or Astronomy or Electronics, unless it's their homework.. On their free time, you can count that they're either browsing some torrents, p2p, some online game, social networking sites or chatting...

During the old times, when I got nothing to do, got some homework, I hang out at the library, and when I'm bored, I read another book that's unrelated to my homework but a subject I'm interested in... Infinitely better than visiting your social networking site when boredom starts creeping in...

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I think it's less 'dumbing' down, than prolonging childhood.

I've done extensive geneology work on my family, and for example, some ancestors of mine fled the civil war. A family of 9 children, wife and husband. He was a Piano teacher. Their oldest son was 12. At one point, they settled in Missouri for a time, and the husband and eldest son went on ahead to go buffalo hunting in order to create income for the family.

Imagine, a 12 year old hunting buffalo. Imagine, a piano teacher from the South Carolina. I could tell tales of their adventures west, but point being, these children were never treated as the infants that we treat our children today.

In fact, in my lifetime I've seen great changes. When I was young it wasn't thought of being a big deal to have a 12 year old babysit for you. I know - I did most of my babysitting from ages 11-15, before I got too old to want to sit home on a Friday night. How many people today would leave their children with a 12 year old?

I walked half way across town on my own to school. Now, kids aren't allowed out of their yards alone.

And don't tell me that it's that times are more dangerous, that's a lie. We have less crime now than in the 70s. Even juvenile crime is about the same as it was in the 1950s. We're hysterics, drama queens and it reflects in the way we raise our children.

And it's nothing to see 20 year olds, 25 year olds, even 30, still living at home, or still in school, unmarried, no children, living what is being labeled a prolonged childhood. Contrast to another era when you were grandparents by the age of 40 and now, many people only begin to have children in their late 30s.

Our children are babies because we treat them as babies. I suspect we dont' want them to grow up because we don't want to grow up. So we don't give them responsiblities, we dont' treat them as what they are, adults in training. We spoon feed them and baby talk to them long after these things are necessary.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Ok, I found a Spongbob video, try to bear it, it's only 4 minutes long!
It's more "subliminal messaging" then dumbing down, but it's worth a watch. It's quite humorous at the same time.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I have to disagree generally.

There are quite a lot of shows on TV for all ages ranging from informational to simply entertainment (nothing wrong with either of them).

Truth be told, my generation is as stupid as any generation. As for being less "knowledgeable", somehow I doubt that if we are looking objectively rather than at any particular subject. Today there is simply so MUCH information that people (the scale increases as age decreases due to the use and understanding of technology) have to either know a little about a lot or a lot about a small subsection.

Humanity has been, is, and will be about the same if you average things out. Violence, sexual depravity, education, etc, etc, etc go in cycles.

Back in the 80s and 90s we made fat disgusting pigs out of ourselves and our children by eating nutrient deficient foods by the truckload. Now there is a rather large market share of alternatives for people to choose from.

Be at ease, control what you can, and realize that humans have always been apathetic and stupid followers and probably always will be.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I think you just don't understand them...
btw, the only show i like is flapjack.
www.youtube.com...
and here is a FULL episode!!!
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 24-5-2009 by cancerian42]

[edit on 24-5-2009 by cancerian42]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

There are quite a lot of shows on TV for all ages ranging from informational to simply entertainment (nothing wrong with either of them).

Be like that kid who watches Star Trek and see what happens if a fellow classmate finds out!

It's not just television shows, but ideas that may also come from the telly, that being 'scientifically aware' is also a stereotype for nerds and 'losers' generally.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
hmmmmmmm.... you know. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should use my film editing skills and perhaps try creating an educational show on Youtube similar to those Dr. Wizard clips (since kids now a days think "black and white movies are LAME"). Granted, it probably would not have the kind of impact it would have if say, it was shown on the mainstream. But hey, it's a start.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The education of the 60s and 70s was of such a high standard that you could leave school legally at 14 and 9 months and you'd be "educated" enough to go out into the world.

Can you imagine a near on 15 year old today being that equipped educationally?

I left school when I was legal at 14 years/9 months.
People are shocked when I tell them this as a lot of my co-workers have assumed that I'm uni educated.

I went back to technical education during my 30s and had to start at getting my certificate in general ed. I got credit and passed 3/4 of the course and finished it in 3 months.
This is someone who has no extra educational input since leaving school.

I was totally shocked at how simple Year 10 education was.
We were doing that level of work in Primary school.
This is just my own experience but a lot of people also went onto higher learning and University and the educational standard back then was pretty stringent.

I think there is a purposeful reason for all of this by TPTB.

They needed "educated, smart" slaves to advance technology, medicine,
and a lot of other disciplines that improve our lives and so only wanted the best of the best on the job.

Then when it got to the stage where not so many people were needed to brainstorm and produce results because of technology, they decided to dumb everything down as the slaves weren't needed anymore.
The hard intellectual work and toil had been done.

Another aspect to this is if you dumb everyone down so much, you have to stay in the education system for longer and therefore they have you stuck, by law, in their institutions where they can brainwash you for a longer chunk of your life.

It's a multi purpose, multi pronged scheme that in no way is of any benefit to US but THEM.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
What I cannot believe is that anyone doubts that the downward trend in education was anything but intentional? One need only go back to the mid to late nineteen eighties and read some of the commentaries by leading educators to see that they not only planned this, but laughed that parents would be too stupid to know their children were being conformed into the progressive’s new age of government and societal evolution.

I think the most important factor moving us toward a secular society has been the educational factor. Our schools may not teach Johnny to read properly, but the fact that Johnny is in school until he is sixteen tends to lead toward the elimination of religious superstition. The average American child now acquires a high school education, and this militates against Adam and Eve all other myths of alleged history… ‘When I was one of the editors of ‘The Nation’ in the twenties, I wrote an editorial explaining that golf and intelligence were the two primary reasons that men did not attend church. Perhaps I should now say golf and a High School Diploma (which has evidently replaced intelligence).

Paul Blanshard, “Three Cheers For Our Secular State”, March/April 1976 The Humanist Magazine

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SGTChas

so are you angry that people are now too smart to get tricked into religion?

The guy who said people are young for longer, yes thats because the world is more complex now - much more complex, at fifteen i could have gone out with my dad and done some basic living however could that fifteen year old buffalo hunter survive in the technical complexity of the modern world?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I remember watching this video and thinking wow that interviewer is great! you would never see such things on TV now.www.youtube.com...

I think there is a dumbing down but you cant just blame the government,people also need to take responsibility for it.The culture in the west is near vomit inducing.Especially the celebrity culture and the teenage girls usually associated with it.I simply cant imagine what the world will be like when its over run by these idiots.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join