It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Desperate California Could Split Into 4 States

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Desperate California Could Split Into 4 States

www.businessinsider.com

The clock is ticking on California, which must slash its way out of a $21 billion deficit in order to stave off default (that is, if Uncle Sam doesn't extend the state a TARP bailout before then).

But Breakingviews actually proposes a much more radical solution, which is breaking California up into 4 distinct states (seriously). Think of it like good bank/bad bank, but for states.

Actually it's a little different. The idea is not that this will solve the state's financial problems, but that it will split it into four coherent political units, which would be:

* San Diego/Orange
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Well what do you think about that people? This is just a theory right now, but from the looks of the web search on the subject, it looks some are actually considering this. I do not see any government officials saying this but it looks like they are getting the public's feet wet on the idea without putting their name on it.

With President Obama stating that if they bail out California that other states will want money, it does not seem so far fetched that they would consider this. We have bailed out Insurance, Banks, Auto, but it seems like they are drawing the line in the sand with our States. I guess they would rather see them break up.

What are your thoughts on this? T.A.R.P. of dissolve California?

www.businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I think it could be a good idea. It would help pay for things. And that would improve the economy. But i would like to know why they dont do it. What bad things would it cause? Besides all the flags needing 3 extra stars and there would be 53 states.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think it's a good idea, except just being split up into two states which would be Northern cal and Southern cal.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Many years ago there was a proposal to split California into 2 states Northern California and Southern California. I don't think it ever made much progress, but these circumstances may revitalize those efforts.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Its about time.

Only I prefer a somewhat diagonal split - - from the north west - to the south east.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Interesting proposal. I think four is too many, maybe two, but it is finally thinking outside the box for solutions. It seems like most of the time all they do is try to think of new ways to collect taxes instead of rethinking the way money is spent. as long as there is the feeling that government money is free money, this situation will not resolve. I'm not just talking about the golden retirement packages for california officlals but government contracts for all sorts of things that could be solved differently. whether it's a massive new computer system that doesn't work out (oh well, no harm done) or bringing in highly paid consultants to do a study on something that could have been dealt with more simply, the attitude is that the pocketful of money should never be empty.

Look at the scandal in britain about the MPs outrageous use of expense accounts. One story I read implied that the fault was with the media for exposing it, for putting the MPs under such pressure, rather than that the MPs have been acting like spoiled children who are outraged at being found out. Elected officials in all countries should start acting responsibly about the use of public money for any use.

Does the entire state of california share the spending attitude or is it mainly the large number of people in the Los Angeles area that dominate the state?

[edit on 23-5-2009 by earlywatcher]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I remember that. I was living in Southern Cal back then. Now I am in Northern Cal. I don't see what harm it could possibly do, and since there is a sort of quiet rivalry between NorCal and SoCal, I'm sure most of the state would agree.

But four states? Hmmm, interesting.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Yup, the proposal was a line form the northern edge of the Golden Gate Bridge, around Sacramento and across to split Lake Tahoe....it all fell apart over Lake Tahoe....as a native of California, us northerners have really never had any love for the southern half of the state....I can't really see four distinct states, but two, definitely...

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

I can't see CA being split into four states, two would be the max.
And why cant Obama bail out CA anyways? Is he saying that private businesses are MORE important than the states that make up the US????

[edit on 5/23/2009 by rangersdad]

[edit on 5/23/2009 by rangersdad]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

I don't think that would work. California is a rich place, but divide it into four and some regions will have more wealth and influence than the others. And besides we don't need 4 more useless elecoral college panels anyway.

In theory it would be a great idea, but then you'd have to create individual state laws for each quadrant, apoint a senator and a governor. That's alot of revamping of political system just to save California.

I say sell it back to Mexico or something.

Just kidding, I love California, but that's what you get when you let Arnold run the place.

~Keeper

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
American tax-payers were scammed out of hundreds of billions of dollars for the international banks and corporate welfare, why wouldn't we use some on those funds to bailout California?

There are a lot of people in California I love, and I suspect the same can be said of millions of Americans.

Our government virtually forced us (and our children and grandchildren) to cover the gambling debts and excesses of greed of rich bankers and elites around the globe..., yet we're supposed to simply let California fail? That seems totally absurd!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

While the problem is serious, the state's uber-democratic system is broken beyond repair. It's truly a failed state, in the classic political science sense of the term. If it were its own country, the US would be consulting with the UN and NATO about establishing a presence and supervising elections.

Link

That's it people. Keep voting democrat and I'll be saying "I told you so" way sooner than I expected to...

Yes, Nancy Pelosi sure is doing her constituents proud!!!

Semper

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Quadrupling the cost of governments....

Not a very good idea.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Hmm, I think ints an cool idea, but don't think it will come to pass because of the addition of two more liberal leaning states. Like the article said, that would solidify Democrat domination in Congress and The Senate. Maybe if they give the central conservative one additional senetors or something?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
california will probably fall off into the ocean soon

i wouldn't waste any time dividing up a pie that wont exist much longer

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
why not split LA into parts and let them be ruled bu Texas, Alaska etc ?
so that the rest of California and northern states could take a break?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by blujay
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I remember that. I was living in Southern Cal back then. Now I am in Northern Cal. I don't see what harm it could possibly do, and since there is a sort of quiet rivalry between NorCal and SoCal, I'm sure most of the state would agree.

But four states? Hmmm, interesting.

Hey! I'm a born and bred SOCA - victory baby. For Real - born in a trailer park in Compton. My dad used to take me Jack Rabbit hunting in Fox Hills. Torrance was dairy farms.

I don't think people not from CA understand how much of an agricultural state it is - - some land still owned by prominent Mexican families. There is a huge cultural division.

CA is NOT a Liberal state - - it has AREAS that are extremely Liberal. I would love to see it divided from the NW to the SE. Encompassing the more Liberal coast in a west CA. Not sure what I'd do about San Diego though - it used to be such a nice place - - till it went all conservative.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This could be a GREAT way to stimulate the economy.

Think about how many text books will have to be edited, reprinted, advertised for sale, shipped and transported.

The same for flags and flag disposal.

Also the huge amount of clothing that is produced with the American flag on it that would need to be manufactured, advertised, shipped, transported etc.

We could use television to pressure people into feeling non patriotic if they do not have the new 53 state flag!

53 Stars or you are you are a Terrorist!

Merchandising merchandising merchandising!

This is a giant economic jump start stimulus!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
To me it looks like it would actually cost even more.

Just splitting it in 2 you now have 2 states that owe 1/2 of what the one state did which = still same amount of deficit.

However you now have to build and fund more state facilities. Come up with the new state's laws and regulations. Change every piece of paper that is associated with the two states to accurately reflect the separation and who lives where along with who is in what state.

This may help the state in the sense that it would all have to be funded by the federal govt. plus the cost of the deficit.

Sorry but right now no one other than the govt. and maybe a few gungho people are going to bother purchasing a flag or apparel with a new star on it. And all of that will be paid for by the state and federal govt. also sense they will be the primary purchasers.

It would be cheaper for the govt. to just cover Cali's debt in the end.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join