It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberty University Bans College Democrat Chapter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Liberty University Bans College Democrat Chapter

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com

CNN) – Liberty University, the evangelical school in Virginia founded by the late Rev. Jerry Falwell, is drawing heat Friday for its decision to revoke recognition of the College Democrats' chapter on campus.

According to the Lynchburg News & Advance, the school decided a week ago the organization "stood against the moral principles" held by the school and therefore could no longer be sanctioned.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Tsk tsk. In the last few years, a clear rift between religion and politics seems to be widening. I realize a left wing group operating in a right wing school would probably get flak, but banning?

Schools are surely making headlines lately for disagreeing on others' views on abortion. Notre Dame will just be the tip of the iceberg, and a school of its prestige probably will give confidence to other right wing schools to start voicing their opinion more against the Democrats.

Discuss.

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

...the school decided a week ago the organization "stood against the moral principles" held by the school and therefore could no longer be sanctioned.

Apparently the moral principles of the school do not allow for its students to have any beliefs that may conflict with Republican views. What is wrong with this school? I thought it was an evangelical school? Not a Republican school...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Childress says she was told by Mark Hine, the vice president of student affairs, that "'You can't be a Democrat and be a Christian and be a university representative.'"

Of course you can't be a Christian and a Democrat.. What a moron.

Its a private school, so its within their right. I just feel sorry for all of the students who go there. "Liberty" university? I guess they mean the liberty to believe only what they want you to believe.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage

...the school decided a week ago the organization "stood against the moral principles" held by the school and therefore could no longer be sanctioned.

Apparently the moral principles of the school do not allow for its students to have any beliefs that may conflict with Republican views. What is wrong with this school? I thought it was an evangelical school? Not a Republican school...

I dont see it as a Republican school, it is a school that belives that abortion is wrong, and since the Dems are supporters of abortion they are under attack from relgious people. This is know different then some of the Ivy League schools and "left leaning"? schools from banning ROTC on there campus due to the militarys dont ask dont tell policy.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
I dont see it as a Republican school, it is a school that belives that abortion is wrong

Yet at the same time this school parades around freedom of thought and belief, heck it also outright promotes the constitution and celebrates "constitution" day on a regular bases. Hypocrisy.

www.liberty.edu...

Now this university is a private institution, its their right to ban these groups as they see fit. That being said they are a bunch of hypocrites, as are many southern social "conservatives".

and since the Dems are supporters of abortion they are under attack from relgious people.

Im sorry, but the last time I heard, freedom of belief and speech mattered to "social conservatives", now its a matter of "so long as that speech doesnt offend religious folk". More hypocrisy.

If folks cant deal with different points of views they better take of their "constitution parading" because they dont really stand for it. Whenever a far right socially conservative media commentator calls out outright to all rightwingers to rebel and attack liberals, its called "freedom of speech", but ofcourse when its liberals using their god given right, its all of a sudden "a threat to us religious folk".

This is know different then some of the Ivy League schools and "left leaning"? schools from banning ROTC on there campus due to the militarys dont ask dont tell policy.

Private institutions as well.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

This is know different then some of the Ivy League schools and "left leaning"? schools from banning ROTC on there campus due to the militarys dont ask dont tell policy.

And those schools would be???

[edit on 22-5-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Another example of the intolerance of religius fanatics, we all sit here and talk about muslim fanatism but we forget to notice our own fanatics here that also get into positions of power and construct public policy from that point of view also.

A university should be a place in which the exchange of ideas is fomented not abolish.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

I dont see it as a Republican school

Then what is it if Democrats aren't welcome? It certainly then at least becomes a political right leaning school, it offers no room for politically leaning left. A religious school should not decide that someone is not adhering to it's morals because they are part of a left wing political party. Unless you know each individuals feelings on all issues you can not even determine if they are pro-choice, etc.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Harvard and Columbia are two that popped up right away, I believe there are more but won't swear too it.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by uncommon-sense
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Harvard and Columbia are two that popped up right away, I believe there are more but won't swear too it.

I don't agree with that either. There's no need for them to take sides on a political issue.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Well, although I do not agree with the mentality of the Universtity in question here, I wouldn't even visit said instituition, and likely wouldnt even associate with someone who went there....

that being said...the tuition is on par with 25,000 bucks a year...so why would someone pay all of that money to be somewhere they arent wanted.

I guess its a good hard lesson to all those at Liberty University. Luckily all those who are already there can easily afford to get a quality education elsewhere where there is a more open atmosphere for them.

Again, I am not for the close minded tactics of repressing groups or organizations.

But by the same token, I am certainly not going to feel bad for the students at Liberty who have the ability to vote with their feet and their money....and who made the choice to pay to go to a religious institution.

--Kross--

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

It is a Universal fact....

If you are self righteous... then you are an IDIOT.

That principle never fails.

new topics

top topics

join