It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist congregation meets every Sunday morning to discuss how they've rejected organized religion

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I got that because they are manipulating their kids.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Lumina
Atheism IS a religion.

Exactly

Atheism is a religion and Christianity is a relationship, there is a difference

I have realized that I have have the most profound relationship with one of my unicorns, I understand it all better now

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Oh, I thought you were directing that at me and was at a loss to understand why. Thank you for clearing that up.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by 5thElement

Yet he said nothing of the sort. If you must resort to strawmen do try to be less obvious about it. Pretty please?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
"Why is the sky blue?"

"Because God make it so"

BOOM! It's over!

This is exactly what I meant by by previous post. No, BOOM, it is not over. Just because God created everything, doesn't mean there wasn't a reason behind it, and a way behind it.

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
How is telling the kids that people believing different things brainwashing them?

And no, it doesn't tell the kids that the "answer doesn't matter". It expands their perceptions and understanding and to help them explore the possibilities and to find the best answers they could find.

Is that so? Then why is it that like most other religious segments of the population, children of atheists generally grow up to be atheists? Unless you mean that the 'best answer' is atheism

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Atheism is a religion and Christianity is a relationship, there is a difference

My gosh, I want to blow the biggest raspberry I can fathom; but, I am laughing too much.
What a predictably, sickening employment of word-play!

Are you a politician- If not, I'd consider it, if I were you. There is big money to be made from such mind-boggling rationale. Maybe you can donate it to the Church!
Oh yeah, and remember: Its not a Tax, its a Levy!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth Lumina

It actually is a religion, you can deny it all you want, but it is. You don't need to have a god in order to be called a religion, nor do you need a church. Atheism IS a religion.

GRRRREAT argument.. "since I say atheism is a religion, it is!" Not very convincing.

As posted before, the definition of religion doesnt fit atheism, as:

It is NOT a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, It doesnt have a set of beliefs and practices, No code of ethics, etc.

So you see, "it acctually is not a religion"

You probably dont believe in Zeus or Odin, that doesn mean your are part of a no Zeus religion, or no Odin religion.

If me not believing in Yahweh is a faith, then you not believing in other Gods is an equal faith.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

Did not read the definition did you? If your going to haggle about definitions you might want to at least know it. Not treat your own person intrepretation as universal fact.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
It amuses and at times annoys me how little we have stepped beyond our pack animal/tribal hunter gatherer natures. How often and easily we break up into opposing camps at even an hint of disagreement which leads to conflict between these two camps, then of course the conflict takes on a life of it's own with both camps being severly atagonistic towards each other just because "It's the other camp." and will base our identity off those group association. All the while claiming we are individuals.

An individual wouldn't need churches, study groups or what-the-frick-ever-label for "support".

[edit on 22-5-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

One group are rational and can take humanity to the ultimate level. The other group are irrational and dangerous with nothing to offer humanity but superstition. I know who I'm siding with.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
i have not read the whole post, so sorry if this has been mentioned already.

to me, it sounds like they have formed their own religion without even thinking!

i dont get it though, why ditch religion and still waste your sunday morning when theirs the whole week, any time really, to see people and teach children values . . that should be done all the time really , not relegated to a sunday morning.

this is kind of why i dont call myself an aithiest , ive always seen it as a kind of psudo religion of its own, i have no religious beliefs, but i dont see the need to preach about it.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

Contradiction. I love it! I never considered blanket generalizations about large groups of people rational. But, eh, who knows. And that is just one thing I can find wrong with your statement.
But in all honesty, by all means, join the tribe that most suits you. Convince yourself it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and declare it transcendent of human nature and some of the nastiness human nature entails if that's what tickles your fancy. Just don't expect me to. I have better things to do with my time.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

post by Daniem:

If atheism is a religion, then theists would have no reason to criticise atheism being taught in schools as part of religious education.

post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows:

That makes sense to you? Atheism isn't a religion because theists would have a problem with it if it was taught as a part of a religious education?

RE-READ, and dont make assumtions as if this was said to proove if atheism is a religion or not. Read as is.

post by Daniem:

The difference between "believing there is no God", and "not believing there is a God, is that the first is a belief, the second is a lack of that belief.

post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows:

the only difference in those two sentences is the location of the negatory word. Rather like saying, " I see no tree." and "I cannot see a tree.", it means the same thing.

Nope. There is a big difference between positively believing that a thing does not exist, and simply lacking belief in it's existence.

If someone asked you about unicorns, would you say "I believe there are no unicorns", or would it be more honest to say "I do not believe in unicorns"? These are two different answers. Nobody disbelieves in unicorns purely as a matter of personal faith.

Again, apply the same reasoning to the Gods of other religions. Example : if you are a Christian, do you believe Odin does not exist? Or do you not believe in Odin?

And if such non belief is a religion as you claim, then may I say that you a member of the "No Odin" religion? Is it a matter of faith that Odin does not exist? Can I come along to your no-Odin church with you tomorrow?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
i have no religious beliefs, but i dont see the need to preach about it.

When Palin is president in 2012 you will

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Yet he said nothing of the sort.

I know.

Yep, I said it, not him, isn't that obvious ?

I was just expanding on "Atheism is religion" further...

If Atheism is a religion then it must be (IMO) the lowest one on the totem pole, hence others (Christianity for example) are more like personal relationship with God then just religion

Atheists (IMO again), however, have long ways to go to achieve their personal relationship with no God (to have a status as born again Atheists)...

What I'm actually trying to communicate here is that I accepted that "There is no God" is set of beliefs, therefore religion

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

RE-READ, and dont make assumtions as if this was said to proove if atheism is a religion or not. Read as is.

It was. Here, allow me to provide the whole statement:

If atheism is a religion, then theists would have no reason to criticise atheism being taught in schools as part of religious education.
But it is amusing to see the classic "I know you are but what am I." principle applied once again. I am not making any assumptions. Oh, and here:

Irrelevant Conclusion: diverts attention away from a fact in dispute rather than address it directly.
Example
Argument: Kim Jong Il believes that war is justifiable therefore it must be justifiable.
Problem: Kim Jong Il can be wrong. (In particular this is an appeal to authority).
Special cases:
purely personal considerations (argumentum ad hominem),
popular sentiment (argumentum ad populum--appeal to the majority; appeal to loyalty.),
fear (argumentum ad baculum),
conventional propriety (argumentum ad verecundiam--appeal to authority)
to arouse pity for getting one's conclusion accepted (argumentum ad misericordiam)
proving the proposition under dispute without any certain proof (argumentum ad ignoratiam)
Also called Ignoratio Elenchi, a "red herring"

SOURCE:en.wikipedia.org...

Nope. There is a big difference between positively believing that a thing does not exist, and simply lacking belief in it's existence.
If someone asked you about unicorns, would you say "I believe there are no unicorns", or would it be more honest to say "I do not believe in unicorns"? These are two different answers. Nobody disbelieves in unicorns purely as a matter of personal faith.

Only when you base your arguments off semantics.
And am I to assume you're are claiming all atheists are the latter? If that is the case I refer you to what I said to another about blanket generalizations and large groups of people. Basically a to z your argument is flawed.

Again, apply the same reasoning to the Gods of other religions. Example : if you are a Christian, do you believe Odin does not exist? Or do you not believe in Odin?

And if such non belief is a religion as you claim, then may I say that you a member of the "No Odin" religion? Is it a matter of faith that Odin does not exist? Can I come along to your no-Odin church with you tomorrow?

LoL!
If I was Christian I think it would be pretty obvious I didn't believe in Odin, it would inherently a statement that I didn't believe in Odin. Gee your arguments are fun.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   

No, you were making assumptions and treating them as fact with the intention of trying to sound funny. And did rather poorly at that.
Or do you honestly think that everyone who has any criticism of something *this case atheism* must be that things opposite *this case theism or more precisely unless I missread your inference Christianity*. Too bad dualism is unrealistic at best.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   

In politics, we have one ruling party and one opposing faction; such is the futility of democracy!
Religion is political too; but has the element of Dogma. This is the difference. atheism lacks its own dogmatic purpose.
So, just because Atheism is opposed to religion ( and is bereft of Dogma- in its own right ); does that really make Ateism a religion?
I think we could change our mind if there were a network of meeting places, and spiritual surrender to a higher being. if Atheism hadd these concepts it would have its own dogmatic approach, so therefore be considered a bonafide religion.
But, without preists, a congregation, and church; as it is only opposition.
Creating the above fraternity, would say be similar to Satanism?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Roark

If you ask me, then "organized" religions are as useless as "unorganized" if you feel me.

All the ethic and values we have descended from jesus, but we know that stuff now, so why can't those christians just accept that not everyone believes what they do.
The most famous words jesus taught was 'treat others as you want others to treat you' or something like that, but everyone knows that by now, so i see no reason why they can't just mind their own fairytale business.

But to be perfectly honest, if i had a religion it would totally be nordic religion. it's basically the same as christianity, except there are more gods, and you honor them by getting #faced.

Im proud of being a hethen.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by benzon

If you ask me, then "organized" religions are as useless as "unorganized" if you feel me.

Ahhh. the concept of Attachment/Non-attachment; I do believe that is Zen and Not Christian.
You wouldn't know about Christianity, unless Roman Emperor Constantine, organised the original Catholic Chuch; for his empires profit.
This was established in 325AD, with his formulation of the Council Of Nicea.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Im gonna put this in a way so you people all get it..

If you're a Christian, then you suck at life!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join