It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist congregation meets every Sunday morning to discuss how they've rejected organized religion

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by Daniem

RE-READ, and dont make assumtions as if this was said to proove if atheism is a religion or not. Read as is.

It was. Here, allow me to provide the whole statement:

If atheism is a religion, then theists would have no reason to criticise atheism being taught in schools as part of religious education.
But it is amusing to see the classic "I know you are but what am I." principle applied once again. I am not making any assumptions.

Nope. There is a big difference between positively believing that a thing does not exist, and simply lacking belief in it's existence.
If someone asked you about unicorns, would you say "I believe there are no unicorns", or would it be more honest to say "I do not believe in unicorns"? These are two different answers. Nobody disbelieves in unicorns purely as a matter of personal faith.

Only when you base your arguments off semantics.
And am I to assume you're are claiming all atheists are the latter? If that is the case I refer you to what I said to another about blanket generalizations and large groups of people. Basically a to z your argument is flawed.

Again, apply the same reasoning to the Gods of other religions. Example : if you are a Christian, do you believe Odin does not exist? Or do you not believe in Odin?

And if such non belief is a religion as you claim, then may I say that you a member of the "No Odin" religion? Is it a matter of faith that Odin does not exist? Can I come along to your no-Odin church with you tomorrow?

LoL!
If I was Christian I think it would be pretty obvious I didn't believe in Odin, it would inherently a statement that I didn't believe in Odin. Gee your arguments are fun.

Why are you laughing at coherant arguments? Daniem has provided you with an accurate description of the 'semanitics', as you like to call them, which differentiate between a person who DISbelieves in something pro-actively and a person who just doesn't believe in that thing. It is a marked difference and if you stopped laughing, you might realise that your arguments are pretty weak. There is no need to be so arrogant.

I liked your last quote, 'If I was Christian I think it would be pretty obvious I didn't beleive in Odin'. Surely the same applies for an Atheist? It's obvious we dont beleive in a God?

A lack of belief is different from believing that something does not exist. It is not semantics, you only need to stop and think about it to realise that.

My understanding of most religons is that they provide some supernatural answer to the universe's creation, that there is a belief structure based on unproved facts and it is unmovable.

Atheism couldnt be more different from this, as it is a LACK OF BELIEF. Please try to understand that.

You never answered my question in my first post, so I will ask it again:

Your comparison of the gathering described in the article to religion is parallel to Football fans meeting every Saturday down the pub or at the stadium to discuss and share in their similiarities. Is football a religion?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
The way i see this is as a sort of support group. Atheists by and large are reviled in numerous societies. We are told that we can't possibly have any morals, some even go so far to say insane things like if you're an atheist you are fine with killing people and cannibilising them (an actual argument i heard i promise). So i can see why some atheists would want to get together for a little support when they are very often bashed from all sides.

I see nothing wrong with it. Now if they start chanting Richard Dawkins name with an altar and believing he'll hear their prayers, well then it would be a worrying thing lol.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by benzon

Im gonna put this in a way so you people all get it.. If you're a Christian, then you suck at life!

Hi Ben, I like your assertiveness; but, easy tiger!
I wasn't suggesting you were Christian, I was just making a point about it.
If it makes any difference- I am not one either.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

I love you.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Atheism can become religious if it deals with absolutes.

An example would be if an atheist stated there is absolutely nothing that could be a god.

This statement coming from the infintesimal perspective of a human on earth would amount to being religious as it would be a faith based belief.

On the other hand if an atheist said I am not convinced of the existence of a god, it would be different. This wouldn't be an absolute statement of faith, but lack of faith.

I have met both kinds of atheists in my life. Those who have convinced themselves without a doubt that a god would be impossible and others who havn't been convinced of anything.

More than likley this group contains both types.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
why do Christians hate atheists more than Satanists?

just curious, that poll said only Scientologists were more disliked

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

You're comparing Weight Watchers with any other religion, including Atheism? I think you're the one who's got something to think about.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
I think that is a good idea. It helps the kids to explore many possibilities. And to show them that the parents don't know everything.

This can give the kids more power and choices to think and believe on their own.

It will be interesting to see how it develop.

Children need to feel safe. They tend to worship the ground their parents walk on as the parent is viewed as the font of all knowledge and the provider of all need. As they grow older, children naturally come to realise that their parents don't know everything.

Why open their minds and hearts to such insecurity before they are mature enough to cope?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daniem
reply to post by Darth Lumina

It actually is a religion, you can deny it all you want, but it is. You don't need to have a god in order to be called a religion, nor do you need a church. Atheism IS a religion.

GRRRREAT argument.. "since I say atheism is a religion, it is!" Not very convincing.

As posted before, the definition of religion doesnt fit atheism, as:

It is NOT a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, It doesnt have a set of beliefs and practices, No code of ethics, etc.

So you see, "it acctually is not a religion"

You probably dont believe in Zeus or Odin, that doesn mean your are part of a no Zeus religion, or no Odin religion.

If me not believing in Yahweh is a faith, then you not believing in other Gods is an equal faith.

What is there for me to argue about? Fact is fact. It is a religion. You're "arguements" aren't convincing me that it isn't a religion, nor does your post that I'm replying to. Let's see, atheists get together, discuss how there isn't a god and go around like christians "spreading the word". The only difference between an Atheist and a bible thumper is that they don't have a bible, yet. A solitary wiccan or pagan doesn't have to follow a set of practices, beliefs, none of that, would you say that isn't a religion too. You can cry, whine, and scream until you are blue in the face, Atheism IS in fact a religion, live with it. Atheists can't prove that there isn't a god, nor can a christian prove god exists, so in my eyes both sides are wasting their time.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Bet these organised atheists spend more time mentioning God than believers do!

Wonder if they know how evangelical they are? Wonder if they are aware that their atheism is a form of religion?

God probably won't mind that the atheists like to say disparaging things about Him and his adherents; at least they are talking about him, which indicates that they think about him, perhaps even have feelings about him!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Church is a place where people gather and talk about their beliefs. Atheists laugh at them for doing so.

Now atheists are going to church. That is what they are doing in the article. You can call it what you want, but it is church.

Atheisim is the new religion. A religion where you go to church to talk about how you don't believe in religion or church.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
why do Christians hate atheists more than Satanists?

just curious, that poll said only Scientologists were more disliked

Atheists are satanists, whether they know it or not.

An atheist will rarely attack any religion other than christianity. It is christianity that atheists are mainly opposed to and this takes them under the domain of satan.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by teapot

Atheists are satanists, whether they know it or not.

An atheist will rarely attack any religion other than christianity. It is christianity that atheists are mainly opposed to and this takes them under the domain of satan.

This is simply astounding. Not only do you show an ignorance of what Satanism is, but you actually believe that atheists attack Christianity more for no reason! The reasons atheists have been so vocal over Christianity is because Christians have been one of the most vocal religions, getting into education and other areas where they have no place being as they have no scientific basis for their ideas. Christians also tend to be the major force in American politics and treat atheists like second class citizens. You Christians go on about being persecuted but you are the majority religion!

Atheists are equally opposed to all religions, that is one definition of the word. Stop thinking you're so special with your religion and realise that all religions are held in equal disbelief to an atheist.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Church is a place where people gather and talk about their beliefs. Atheists laugh at them for doing so.

Firstly not all atheists laugh, some of us just don't care and believe you have every right to think what you think. However the reason some atheists laugh is because you're talking to a being with no evidence to prove it exists. Atheists when they meet up actually talk to other real people and spend no time praying to a god to let them into heaven because they're fearful of hell. You have absolutely no more evidence for your belief than i have for a belief in unicorns orbiting venus and a child does for their imaginary friend.

Originally posted by jd140
Now atheists are going to church. That is what they are doing in the article. You can call it what you want, but it is church.

Atheisim is the new religion. A religion where you go to church to talk about how you don't believe in religion or church.

So weight watchers is a religion? Book clubs are a religion? Martial arts clubs are a religion etc etc. All of these clubs meet to discuss their interests, they are not classed as religions. You need to consider that there are a few classes of atheists, the major ones being those who refuse to believe that god exists, and those who don't believe in a god because there is no evidence. They are different groups, despite how you consider us all the same.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Outstanding!!!

'Education', was 'founded' by 'religions'.

Only in the rich west can atheism flourish.

Christianity/Christians ARE an easy target! What with all that Christian tolerance and that!

Still with the rise of anti semitism, the Jews are again on target for all those people who have a problem with God.

But their are many organised religions in the world and they rarely get a mention by the atheists! Why is that?

Why get upset just because a christian sees atheists as being in league with satanists? Surely if God does not exist, then neither does satan?

Thanks for the compliment! I've never seen myself as 'special' just because of my faith.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Outstanding!!!

'Education', was 'founded' by 'religions'.

Only in the rich west can atheism flourish.

Outstanding yourself, you are right, only in rich places can atheism flourish because people in poor countries absolutely need something to justify their horrible circumstance. This goes to show that religion is nothing more than a comfort blanket.

Please backup your statement that religion founded education. Most of human existence is from pre-history and therefore we do not know if it was based upon religion or not.

Christianity/Christians ARE an easy target! What with all that Christian tolerance and that!

Actually Muslims would be the easier target.

Still with the rise of anti semitism, the Jews are again on target for all those people who have a problem with God.

Sadly anti semitism never went away. Interestingly many christians are anti semetic.

But their are many organised religions in the world and they rarely get a mention by the atheists! Why is that?

You are blinded by your faith. As i said in my last post, atheists criticise all religion. Look up Pat Condell on youtube for a very elequent atheist who walks about all religions.

Why get upset just because a christian sees atheists as being in league with satanists? Surely if God does not exist, then neither does satan?

I was upset on behalf of Satanists actually lol. I was not upset, i was just pointing out a fact. You are a seemingly religious person but are ignorant of other religions. Satanism is a religion that itself acknowledges a god and therefore cannot be mixed up with atheism. I was not upset, just correcting your lack of knowledge.

Thanks for the compliment! I've never seen myself as 'special' just because of my faith.

It wasn't a compliment, read it again. I was saying you seem to think you are special.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Not to rain on the parade, but by definition, atheism is not a religion.

2.a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Does it concern the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe? No. Atheism sole tenant is that god(s) do not exist. There's no dogma attached to that.

Does it involve superhuman agencies who one observed rituals to? nope.

Does it offer a moral code? Nope.

It's not a religion, get over it, it's just a bunch of people that decided that one of the many gods that's popular at the moment does not exist. Now move along.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

By whos definition? Atheists? Don't kid yourself, it is a religion. Many don't consider buddhism a religion because they don't worship a good, but they are still a religion. Atheism is a religion, get over and move along. Next.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Lumina
reply to post by WolfofWar

By whos definition? Atheists? Don't kid yourself, it is a religion. Many don't consider buddhism a religion because they don't worship a good, but they are still a religion. Atheism is a religion, get over and move along. Next.

Buddhists have a set code, various sects but each has it's set code. They worship buddha, not as a god but it's a universal symbol. Hence it being a religion. Please point to anything that all atheists worship. Atheists don't worship anything. You might try and argue that they worship science but worship denotes priasing something beyond all critical values. To be blind to any faults of the worshipped object. Atheists do not do this.

Now get over it and move along lol.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Atheism is not a religion. Even if it was what difference would it make really? You get to go to church and instead of just bashing atheists individually now you get to bash the "Religion" of atheism? Does that really seem worth all the fuss? This is an argument over semantics and it is completely useless.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by ExistenceUnknown]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join