It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA image of the day...but what's that???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
NASA has just posted its image of the day from the STS-125 mission, available online on this page

I'll post it here too, as I have saved it and added it my media section as well..
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8ad380fac553.jpg[/atsimg]

So what's so interesting about this picture...

A little odd thing I noticed.. have a look at the arm, go to the elbow joint... then look straight up to the Earth.. can you see the smudge?

Is that a cloud?

Or does it look more like the blur of a high speed moving object..
I only have ACDSee to have a look at this portion of the picture properly, but here is what I have found... all I did was open ACDSee editor and adjusted the 'curves' to effectively brighten the image...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c90e944e28d9.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Interesting! Could it be a reflection from some object attached to the shuttle either in the cargo bay or another area out of frame? It is an odd little anomoly, any picture guru's have any input?

Fry

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Awesome picture! I really don't see anything odd, but also I don't know what part you are trying to point out. Interesting nonetheless

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Not to be a party pooper, but I'm thinking its glare hitting the shuttle/equipment from what appears to be the sun in the background.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cds4344

I was wondering if anyone might have this problem.. I am on a laptop so my screen is slightly different in its display properties..

Anyway, click on the picture itself or on the link provided..make sure you can see the entire picture.. on the right side of the picture you will see the arm.

look at the joint on the arm, then look right above it into the darkness of the Earth...you'll see this 'smudge' .. if you still can't see it, try brightening your screen a little or look at the screen form slightly different angles.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spikedmilk

No problem spike.. all thoughts are appreciated..working out what it is is part of everything on ATS

I have considered reflections, smudge on the lense of camera, and obviously a cloud.. but if it was a reflection from something inside the shuttle, then it should be a bit brighter than it appears, unless it is a dark surface being reflected.. look how brightly lit the shutle still is..

The 'smudge' looks very similar to how a jets vapour trail dissipates ...but this, to me, looks more like a movement blur..

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I'm on a work computer atm, and you know how high tech they are. I want to see this on my personal pc so I can enhance it etc. I'm sure someone who is a photo expert can tell if this is a normal phenomena or something odd, because at this point I can't tell.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
well, I'm no expert here, but to me it matches the glint off the arm....thats where we're looking right - the tailfin?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/60f123c2c47a.gif[/atsimg]

(i apologize, i dont know why the quality of the pic dropped)

[edit on 21-5-2009 by spikedmilk]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
There is another oddity in this photo on the left side edge toward the top. When zooming in it appears like a classic disk shaped object.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by spikedmilk

This area... right above the arm in the darkness of Earth.. top of this pic.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/27a2354fd4a7.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

gotcha, i was looking the wrong spot. My apologies...in any case my cp is only showing blackness....i'll have to wait see what somebody else comes up with for edits. (Work cp = no good for edits)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

You mean this bit..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/93f20b627da6.jpg[/atsimg]
Hmmm.. gonna go brighten that one up..

And yes spike, I thought that might be the issue for certain screens.. old glass fronted screens might not have the display properties of some of the newer flatter 'gel/plasma/lcd' types...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Yeah thats the one...even looks like a cockpit or observation bridge at the top when I use my imagination

On the full size image you can zoom in really well. www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 21-5-2009 by ExPostFacto]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Looks very much like a cloud I'm afraid. nice bit of imagination though

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae631b26c1d8.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
lens flare
they are very common, when strong light is in frame or in vicinity.
more experienced photographers know this.

[edit on 21/5/09 by depthoffield]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
yup.. as much as I get into NASA conspiracy.. this one is definitely a lens reflection from the light source on the tail.. my question though.. they are in space correct??? Where are all the bloody stars? Does NASA either get rid of them? or are they in space at all? or are they in a section of space where stars just... go on vacation or what? every time there is a NASA image, there arent any stars. I understand clarity and all, but damn.. leave SOME natural stuff. Ugh..I hope obama does go straight with the disclosure. Then we can have so much more knowledge.

top topics

join