It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Shuttles Will Be Sold After 2010 Retirement - NASA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Space Shuttles Will Be Sold After 2010 Retirement - NASA

www.nowpublic.com

NASA has announced that the final three Space Shuttles will be sold after they are retired in 2010.

After nearly 30 years of service, and over 120 missions into orbit, NASA’s Space Shuttle fleet will be grounded for good in 2010, and NASA is hoping that schools, museums and other appropriate institutions will be interested in purchasing one of the orbiters for permanent display.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The last three shuttles will be sold at the tune of $42 million dollars freight not included. Freight will run you $6 million. I guess that's a good deal considering thru the years NASA has spent billions and billions on this shuttle program. It's a shame that after all the time and money invested in this program, this is where it ends.

I can't wait to go to the museum that purchases these to get a tour.

www.nowpublic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Oh thats a descent price, i can see someone like MS or some Sultan in Dubai as another added tourist attraction.

F1: 1957 Ferrari sold for $12 million

One of the most beautiful and significant racecars in the world, a 1957 Ferrari 250 TR, sold for $12 million Sunday, setting a world record for a car sold at auction.

The red-and-black “pontoon-fender” Testa Rossa was sold at RM Auction’s annual Ferrari Leggenda e Passione event at the Ferrari factory in Maranello, Italy. It’s the first time this Ferrari has ever come up for auction.

www.blitzcorner.com...

[edit on 21-5-2009 by tristar]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Mudman21

One of the Russian shuttles (Buran) eventually became a theme-park attraction. I wonder if any of the Space Shuttles are destined for a Disney park:

A spaceship in a Moscow theme park is all that remains of the ambitious plan for the Russian shuttle Buran, abandoned for financial reasons when the Soviet Union collapsed

Link

Interestingly, the only Russian Buran space shuttle that ever flew in space (unmanned, fully automated take-off and landing) ended up a twisted pile of wreckage after its hangar collapsed on it ... sometime in the late 90's or this century (not sure exactly when).

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Does anyone have any idea as to what NASA is going to replace them with? There has to be something..

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

NASA will be taking a huge step backwards with the same type of craft they used back in the 60's ... a 4 man module stuck on the end of a huge rocket...
Link

You have to love budget cuts!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Wow... Our species sucks....... How can we take a step back in the realm of science? HOW COULD ANYONE ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN!! (even though it already has many times) This is a huge blow and whoever did this needs to assassinated immediately.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I wonder how I could come across buying a tile off of the bottom of one? I think it would be something cool to have! Does anybody have any links as to where we'll be able to get our hands on this stuff? Surely they're not gonna sell the whole things, they'll have to "part them out"...

Sucks that we'll be taking a step back too... But as DAN said... You gotta love budget cuts!! Haha

top topics

join