It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Amazing Dandelion (its not just a weed)!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I had no idea just how wonderful this little plant that grows on nearly every lawn really is... read on....

Dandelion roots act as an ani-viral and the funny thing is another name for dandelion is Swine's snout..lol This "weed" is a great source of vitamins A, B complex, C and D. It also is rich in iron zinc and potassium!

Most all parts of the dandelion plant are useful, first, uses for the leaves:
The leaves make a great diuretic and help rinse the kindneys.
Liver problems
swelling
upset stomach
boils
digestive problems
heartburn

the roots can be used for:
appetite stimulant
digestive aid
gall bladder and liver problems ( great for detox)

the flowers can be used to make wine and add flavor to a salad.( young tender leaves can be used for greens)
You can dry the leaves and roots use them this way or you can steep them into a tea...
These are just a few uses for this amazing little plant that most of us consider a pesky weed!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
good post

you can also gather the young plant before it sprouts a stem but has its leaves spread out. gather a bunch and boil it like spinach, squeeze a little lemon over it, add a dash of salt and yum!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
So this would be good to know, among many other things, it the SHTF in the worse way? I need to research to see what other "weeds" can be eaten raw. I live in a very urban area and there is very slim pickens in the way of wild plants.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Star and flag, this is the type of post we need more of, especially as the economy keeps showing signs of faltering. When i'm hungry I like the idea I can go out in the yard, or the woods behind the house; may not taste like steak and taters, but at least i'll be eating and staying healthy.

Keep it up, i live for these posts, and am currently waiting on several books to arrive on plant usage for my general area of the US. You never know.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Yummy, now that sounds like something that I could sink my teeth into!! As you stated, make sure its a young plant or the leaves are bitter! Thanks for the recipe!!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lel1111

I would suggest getting a guide to edible plants. I have a very good one, it includes photos and drawings, and shows plants that are dangerous look-alikes.

*thumbs up*

EDIT- TO EVERYONE- please be aware to check to make sure what the herbs and plants you eat do not interact with a medical condition or medication. Common sense, but some can make things like birth control inactive, trigger reactions, or even cause more serious effects.

Be careful.

[edit on 5/20/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by lel1111

I have posted this before, but the yucca plant is useful for hygeine purposes! The root or tuber can be sliced and used as soap and shampoo, it even lathers!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
*~
Excellent topic.
My grandfather used to make wine from dandelions and my grandmother used to put in in salads all the time.
They grew a lot of other stuff too.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I used to eat them all the time when i was younger
not so much anymore...i used to make a batter and deep fry them,not the most healthiest thing in the world but they did taste yummy imo.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Can't wait to tell my kids this. They love Dandelions! They always pick them to give to my wife and I. Very interesting information.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Be very careful if harvesting dandelions in urban and suburban areas. They tend to be exposed to all manner of chemicals, especially pesticides and herbicides (they are resistant to a number of them, but may still be coated with residue).

If you're making dandelion wine, be especially careful. Just, er... generally exercise caution. Keep some morphine handy for the next day, and make sure you hide all firearms - you may consider taking your own life when the dandelion wine hangover hits it's stride, best to keep the temptation at bay.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Not too take away from the OP's topic, but onion grass, chickweed, wild parsley, and mint are good too. All long time favs in my grandparent house along with the afore mentioned dandelion.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
That's really interesting - thank you.

I've got a large garden full of dandelions because I spent last summer blowing the 'clocks' all over the place. I loved them so much I wanted more and this year they (and just about everything else) seem bigger than before. Some of them were competing with daffodils for light and grew very tall.

I infuriated my housemate by insisting you could tell the time by dandelion clocks and 'proving' it by clearing one with three puffs at three o'clock the other afternoon. Some people, even when you give them proof they won't have it

I've had to start snipping the 'clocks' off over the last few days because I don't think I can afford to have too many more growing here next year. I've collected two carrier bags full, so if anybody wants some........

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

Mint is good for nausea and stomach upset.

Parsley is good for inducing uterine cramping and menstruation.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Ginseng is another plant that grows wild, although much harder to find!

The best place to search is in little to no traffic wooded areas.
It has many many beneficial medicinal qualities such as:

slowing the progression of alzheimers
reduce chances of getting cancer
boost immune system
lower blood sugar levels
fight fatique
the list goes on and on....

I encourage each of you, if you know of a plant that grows in the wild that is beneficial in some way, please post info here as we may all need this before its over with!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Around here we purchase a salad mix at the store all the time called "wild greens" or something that has dandelion greens in it. It's got some other weedy-like things in there too. It tastes good in any case.

What's "just a weed" anyway? Isn't that just a name for something you're cultured to despise because it is successful despite human attempts to control it?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Tons of information can be found online, and there are books you can buy. I know probably over 100 different ones myself, mom knows more. But it can be dangerous, especially for someone on medications or with any allergy or who has a condition.

Ginger- Nausea
Chamomile- Nausea, hair rinses
Anise- Can be used on babies to reduce colic
Raspberry leaf- Reduction of pain and to help relieve uterine cramping

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I have never seen this mix in the store, I will have to look more closely! I like your def of a weed! Thats the truth in a nutshell!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Some good advice there.

I also support and wish to encourage that usage of natural medicenes are also done with knowledge - and where necessary consultation with people knowledgeable of them, their usages and interactions/effects.

For instance my culture utilises numerous natural medicenes for healing purposes. One such is called Kumarahou, also called 'Gumdiggers Soap' or 'Poverty Weed'.
Its a plant that has some fantastic healing attributes to it...it can be used as a blood purifier, taken cold as an energiser or taken warm as a relaxant to help with sleep.
It can be used in combination with other plants for effective stabalisation of Diabetes.

However - its also a plant that you'd do well to steer clear of it you have high blood pressure or are on medications such as Warfarin.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

This is true, many useful resources online and many many great books, and yes you must be careful, even mixing some "herbs" can be dangerous! Knowledge is power! Thank you for pointing that out. Star!

[edit on 20-5-2009 by Greenize]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join