It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Amazing Dandelion (its not just a weed)!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by alien

Ideally before taking any sort of plant you should check with your doctor or another resource like a naturopathic expert. For instance, St. John's wort is often regarded as nature's anti-depressant. However, it not only cancels out birth control pills and other hormone therapies, but it can cause cataracts.

Not to mention how many plants mimic other plants. One could be helpful, one could be harmful. Do not eat or take anything unless you're 100% sure you know what it is, what it does, and that you can safely take it.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Heh. When i was way young and dumber even than I am now. goodness, it doesn't seem possible. lol. But I was walking down a road and passing through a community we all called shantyville. Not to be confused with the community we called dogpatch where white people lived. I saw a black man bending over in a field, an overgrown and weedy patch and he was putting something into a bag. So I stopped and asked the old man what he was picking. He laughed and said I wouldn't understand it all, being as I was a white boy. He told me he was picking dandelion leaves for supper. I was like, huh? Dandelions!!! Eek. lol. And he laughed at the look on my face and explained to me he was going to make a salad of the young greens. And he further explained to me how he cooked the older leaves, too, and even made his own dandelion wine. All I ever knew about dandelions was that my mom hated them in the yard and I could pick the yellow flowers and rub them on my chin and make it yellow. lol. And, of course, I could pick the ripened flowers and blow on them and make snow. lol. Dandelions. They aren't just useless weeds. They are a source of nutrition as well as fun for kids to play with.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Polk salad greens are another plant that grows wild and I know around here it is plentiful! I have boiled and eaten these many many times. I am sure you can find a description online and some recipes too!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I have never seen this mix in the store, I will have to look more closely!

I'm not sure it's too common. A nearby, corner independent grocery carries it.

I like your def of a weed! Thats the truth in a nutshell!

Thanks.
Perhaps another truth: If eradication were successful, it would be called "an extinct plant/animal species" and its loss lamented.

[edit on 5/20/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
thank you for this most useful information :-)
learn a new thing everyday..

Now I wonder what other average plentiful things are better medicines than all these pharmo drugs. I'm sure there is a natural cure for all natural occuring sicknesses, perhaps even the man-made ones

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by eathis

Natural cures have side effects, too.

For another addition, Queen Anne's Lace roots can be boiled and cooked like carrots. They even kind of taste like carrots.

Angelica can be cut up and candied with sugar.

[edit on 5/20/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
As a result of this thread I did some reading and found that strong tea made from pine needles actually can induce a miscarriage. WHOA!!
The things Bear Grylls never told us.

Another thing my grandmother used to covet was a wild vegetable called "gardoon" This was often time so hard to come by and so hard to grow, dandelions were often substituted when the craving for gardoon overwhelmed us all. OMG my grandma could cook somethin' wikid!!
See the following example.
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 20/5/2009 by reticledc]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

Pennyroyal and some other herbs like blue cohosh can, as well. But you're not really supposed to talk about it. It can cause lots of problems for the woman, as it is very toxic. And in the off-chance that it doesn't work, you have to get a good old-fashioned abortion because the baby will have been damaged.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Thats interesting! I didn't know that! I have never heard of these, now I have to go and google it!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I doubt the side effects are anywhere near as bad as the pharmo drugs whether they are known by the general public or not but I can't even remember the last time I was that sick that I had to go get drugs for whatever. I have a gut feeling I don't need it to get better plus a little voice in my head tells me to steer clear of such things, I mean everyone I know pretty much has to pop pills for this and that and this and that in order for that that and that it's kind of ridiculous..
I actually remember now I was last sick when I use to always worry about getting sick which was a few years back. I don't consider myself healthy in the way of eating healthy all the time yet mentally and physically I am 100% most of the time. I only eat when I bother which is usually two meals a day yet i'm at a 'perfect' weight.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, mental reinforcement is better than ANY DRUG!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by eathis

I too avoid pharmo drugs and have been freaked out on more than one occasion at some of the possible side effects of some the meds that my husband takes. He has stopped taking some of them due to side effects. The answer to everything these days is a pill it seems...don't get me wrong there are some wonderful meds out there, but if I can avoid them, I certainly do!

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Ahh, the days of mustard seed compresses and tea made from willow bark and mint leaves.
Old school families have a lot of knowledge about these things.
Things modern science is only now beginning to understand.

www.prodigalgardens.info...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Usually medications are made by compounds of natural substances. I just used the example before of St. John's Wort and cataracts. Many plants can cause sleeplessness, upset stomach, sleepiness, some can even cause severe reactions like seizures and heart attacks. Some cause rash, some cause things like infertility. Kava kava is a great herb but has been linked, like many other plants, to liver failure.

It's a common misconception that plants aren't dangerous.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Very true.
As the old saying goes, "Everything in moderation".

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Well even a single dose of some plants can be toxic. And even if you take a small dose everyday, or every few days, it can be harmful. That's what happened with the kava kava. It also made people so tired just from a normal dose that they couldn't drive and stuff.

It's still a great herb, but I think the FDA banned it.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Some plants could even be said to be very spiritual in essence and when taken right on the right mindset can be very very beneficial in the on going quest of selfness and understanding of our 'UNI'verse

[edit on 20-5-2009 by eathis]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Kava kava is so not illegal. I have thought about getting some, for friends to try out. It is all over Ebay, and different health stores.

Kratom is the uber plant of choice, but it is also addictive... Still, great for someone in withdrawl from other stuff. And it has the value of being a natural 'happy happy'.

Nice topic. The really good stuff though, the FDA gets around to banning, so that only big pharma can use them.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by lel1111
So this would be good to know, among many other things, it the SHTF in the worse way? I need to research to see what other "weeds" can be eaten raw. I live in a very urban area and there is very slim pickens in the way of wild plants.

If you go to www.youtube.com/eattheweeds that guy has a really great set of videos (whole channel actually) dedicated to educating people on what backyard plants are perfect for eating, and even how to prepare them, etc

It's great info, and thought you might like to see it
Good for anyone else, as well, of course

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Here is another edible plant that grows in many areas around the country.

Purslane

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Wonderful post.

Let me add another little known fact for everyone.

Most weeds in your yard are actually types of wild lettuces!
Yup that's right! Do alittle research on your 'weeds' before killing them as most have huge medicinal properties.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join