It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient man had Style

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Found this while i was looking around on nat geo's site thought it was utterly amusing and thought i would post it

May 18, 2009—The glittering "grills" of some hip-hop stars aren't exactly unprecedented. Sophisticated dentistry allowed Native Americans to add bling to their teeth as far back as 2,500 years ago, a new study says.

Ancient peoples of southern North America went to "dentists"—among the earliest known—to beautify their chompers with notches, grooves, and semiprecious gems, according to a recent analysis of thousands of teeth examined from collections in Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History (such as the skull above, found in Chiapas, Mexico).

Scientists don't know the origin of most of the teeth in the collections, which belonged to people living throughout the region, called Mesoamerica, before the Spanish conquests of the 1500s.

But it's clear that people—mostly men—from nearly all walks of life opted for the look, noted José Concepción Jiménez, an anthropologist at the institute, which recently announced the findings.

Eat it lil wayne paul wall and yeah you to FLAVA FLAVE!!!

no really though that is very interesting and i bet that it hurt like the dickens to have that done without pain killers and anastetics. . . . yikes

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6603d3449486.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 20-5-2009 by constantwonder]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This is pretty entertaining by the way dig the Douglas Adams quotes

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I still don't understand what sense of accomplishment people get from having things on there teeth?

Nelly even wrote a song about it!

Hip hop must be feeling like a disney movie, it's already been done guys try again.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
I still don't understand what sense of accomplishment people get from having things on there teeth?

Nelly even wrote a song about it!

Hip hop must be feeling like a disney movie, it's already been done guys try again.

allow me to quote the ever famous saying from this hip hop circles in responce to your post

WORD

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by constantwonder

no really though that is very interesting and i bet that it hurt like the dickens to have that done without pain killers and anastetics. . . . yikes

maby the amazon has/had painkiller or anastetic plants like clove oil or better. who would be the one to cause that much pain for a little tinsel, not me any way. cool find etherway star for you

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aceofclubs

There are a number of comparatively modern styles of adornment that are done without anesthetics.
Creative scarring, being shot willingly for the scar, cutting, ect.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
reply to post by Aceofclubs

There are a number of comparatively modern styles of adornment that are done without anesthetics.
Creative scarring, being shot willingly for the scar, cutting, ect.

being shot just to wear the scar >> and i thought getting the whites of your eyes tatood was extreme. . . please post a link to an example of this im quite intruiged by what type of person would subject themselve to this

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

Wish I could, I know it was on Ripley's believe it or not a while back, and it's part of a Cracked article, but that's about it.

Google just pulls up a bunch of unrelated links.

new topics

top topics

join