It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Mysterious Ancient Megaliths

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I have put some information together about ancient megaliths - their location and weight.

Seemingly impossible to construct and transport - Ancient megaliths remain the subject of awe and speculation to modern society. Has ancient knowledge been hidden or lost over time?

I found a couple of articles regarding stone levitation using sound / magnetism

Would like your opinions

LINK TO FULL ARTICLE

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I've always been fascinated by the ancient structures that appear impossible by even today's standards. I believe that they were helped structured by the Nephilim as seen in Genesis of the Old Testament. Of course as with anything in history today, there is never any proof, nor will there be.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Ancient Astronauts?
History is full of them! Just a possibility.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Cds4344

This could be the case Nephilim / alien travellers - but it is interesting that this knowledge was around for thousands of years - all over the globe and then.........disappeared

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by suziwong
reply to post by Cds4344

This could be the case Nephilim / alien travellers - but it is interesting that this knowledge was around for thousands of years - all over the globe and then.........disappeared

This is what is fascinating about them! No traces to be found.....Makes it very interesting indeed!

Nice research, I've been researching Megalithic structures for a year or so and am still awestruck everytime I see them.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by suziwong
I have put some information together about ancient megaliths - their location and weight.

These are favorites for people to discuss here in Ancient Civ.

Seemingly impossible to construct and transport -

Not really... there are websites and references by people who don't know much about ancient technology (such as the Roman use of water-powered saws) that say "we can't do this". SciFi writer, Sprague de Camp was an engineer and wrote an excellent book about ancient engineers.

I wish it were more popular today. There are many people who did close study of engineering techniques (Thor Heyderdahl comes to mind) and wrote some wonderful books on how the ancients set up stone statues and megaliths.

Has ancient knowledge been hidden or lost over time?

More like "replaced by better methods."

You'd hate (for instance) the old method of sewing, where you had a huge bone needle and had to spin your own thread. Modern needles and sewing machines and premade thread mean that most of us couldn't make thread if our lives depended on it. That doesn't mean it's impossible to make.

Did you know that the ancient Romans made cotton candy by throwing sugar by hand across a fire? T'is true... and it can be done if you practice. However, many of the "ancient wonders" people would say that this was an impossible technology back then.

A good example is "Coral Castle." In spite of there being photos on the official Coral Castle site showing Edward Leedskalnin with tools, winches, chains, and a truck bed (and written references to his moving the stone with those), some people write how it was "built by secret and arcane technology".

It's fun to think that the "ancient methods of the Egyptians" that Leedskalnin talks about were NOT the tripod and pulleys he's shown working with, and that the motors he purchased later were NOT used in moving things around. But as the pictures and other stories show, the "ancient methods" were ancient engineering methods known to the Romans and others.

So, too, with the other "ancient monoliths" (the Egyptians wrote about they moved stele such as the one you show.)

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I believe your fifth one is a natural occurance-other than that, great find!

Oregon and washington have similar stones to the peruvian ones, caused by heavy rain fall over a long period of time.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Howdy Byrd

Sprague de Camp was an engineer and wrote an excellent book about ancient engineers.

Yes he did I have a well thumbed and annotated copy.

Highly recommended to all those interested in ancient technology.

For those with limited budgets an online version is available here:

The Ancient Engineers

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Well, no, the Inca walls are manmade. The trick is, they shaped one stone to conform to its basic shape but without irregularities, then they shaped the next one in the same fashion, but also to fit the one they started with, then the third stone was shaped to fit them both.

As for how they stacked them like that? Never underestimate the power of llama-hair ropes.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Byrd,

So Ed Leedskalnin's big secret of how he built Rock Gate Park, (so big of a secret he would only work at night after scouring his property to make sure he wasn't being spied on) was the use of block and tackle, a couple of timber tripods, and some cables and chains, using common engineering techniques? Wow... what a secret.

Yet he was willing to publish an outline of his experimental observations with electromagnetism after the park was built (Magnetic Current, 1945)? And in this manuscript he talks about how to make perpetual motion holders for a perpetual motion machine, which he claimed he applied for a patent on it. Seems like a much bigger secret to keep under your hat than common engineering techniques. It doesn't make sense why he'd vehemently guard the constuction and basic building techniques but not how to build perpetual motion machines.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by Flux8]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flux8
Byrd,

So Ed Leedskalnin's big secret of how he built Rock Gate Park, (so big of a secret he would only work at night after scouring his property to make sure he wasn't being spied on) was the use of block and tackle, a couple of timber tripods, and some cables and chains, using common engineering techniques? Wow... what a secret.

It doesn't make sense why he'd vehemently guard the constuction and basic building techniques but not how to build perpetual motion machines.

Straw man.

Obviously, since there are photos and records of his construction methods, he didn't try to "keep it a secret" at all.

The people "keeping the secret" are the ones trying to enrich themselves by convincing others that there is some "forgotten technology" that the Egyptians (and others) used in their constructions.

Harte

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Ed Leedskalnin had a day time job and night time is a lot cooler. Often forgotten is he worked a great deal on weekends too.

But that wouldn't be mysterious.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

Thanks for the articles. I've only heard about the one in Peru and Israel.

There are so much history we have no idea about. I'm sure there are a select few who know the truth about mankind's history. Revealing it publicly would shock many foundations in society

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by guppy

Howdy Guppy

I'm sure there are a select few who know the truth about mankind's history. Revealing it publicly would shock many foundations in society

Wow so who are those guys and gals? Where do they keep all this knowledge? Who conserves it? Who translates it all?

Shocking?

Like the new and old world finding out about the other existed?

How about finding out about ancient man?

How about the dismantling of the basis of religious belief based on the rise or reason, logic and the scientific method?

We fell from created creatures of god and the center of the universe to just another species out in the Galaxy boondocks.

We seemed have done okay.

Oh and how do they stop all the looters and uninformed from finding all the stuff in the ground?

[edit on 22/5/09 by Hanslune]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

You don't have to listen to third party stories on Leedskalnin to be amazed at the thought of the "legends" being true. Leedskalnin asserted quite a bit on his own. Just read his own writings.

To me it just seems quite unlikely that a small, sickly man such as him could achieve the building of Coral Castle all on his own, working only at night and on the weekends.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
I believe your fifth one is a natural occurance-other than that, great find!

Oregon and washington have similar stones to the peruvian ones, caused by heavy rain fall over a long period of time.

Yeah some of them are just crazy in size and the shapes.

Stones
Archaeological Excavations Lead To Discovery Of Inca

For quite some time, the National Institute of Culture (I.N.C.), has been quite busy with the archaeological excavations that are being carried out in Toronto, in the area of the Sanctuary of Machu Picchu in Peru. But now there seems to be a new page that has unfolded. An Inca stone of 41 angels has been found during one of these archaeological excavations.

According to information received, the finding was confirmed by the president of the project, Omar Spanish Gutierrez, who referred that the stone measures are 6 meters high and 2,50 meters wide, and also said that it has the form of a flame.

The archaeologist Mario Febran Gomez, said that the stone is located in the religious precinct Nro. 9 of the sector of Torontoy (kilometer 91,500 of the way Cusco-Machu Picchu).

[edit on 22-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

A big howdy BFFT

I'm personally incredulous of your argument from incredulity!

The only way to prove EL did anything 'mysterious' is to duplicate his methods.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

LOL, quite linguistically artistic this evening, eh?

The difficulty with duplicating his methods is that we cannot agree on what his methods WERE.

Of course, you do make a point regarding the use of simple tools such as ropes, levers, etc. I have seen a man move a 5 ton block with the effort of a finger. I also saw him erect the same block singlehandedly. He did this with simple principles of leverage, using simple machines and gravity to do the hard work.

However, Leedskalnin claims to not use these methods. He claims to use a completely different method.

There was an excellent discussion located here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

that centered around how gravity and EM force are related. It eventually gets around to Leedskalnin...so be patient.

Personally? Allis0ne might be a lunatic (as he certainly seems to have a solid ego)...but it seems to be a VERY well thought out theory. And he seems to believe that he discovered Leedskalnins methodology (cracked the code, so to speak, RE: Ed's "Sweet Sixteen" ramblings).

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Would that be the same L Sprague de Camp who wrote the great Conan books I love to read? If so I will have to look up this book on ancient engineering. Thanks

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
Straw man.

Strawman?! Stop drawing at straws.

I made an inductive comparison. The conclusion of some is that Ed used common engineering techniques and bought motors to build his castle, (Not once, but twice. Remember, he tore it down and moved it north.) My point is that Ed would not divulge his 'common engineering techniques' to anyone, yet he went on to actually publish potentially highly profitable knowledge (perpetual motion holders and machines, etc.)? It doesn't make sense, therefore there is doubt in my mind.

By the way, what documents are you refering to, and what evidence do you have to support that 'the people' created and perpetuated the 'mystery of Rock Gate/Coral Castle'? Or is that just a spurious claim?

Originally posted by Hanslune
Ed Leedskalnin had a day time job and night time is a lot cooler. Often forgotten is he worked a great deal on weekends too.

But that wouldn't be mysterious.

Could you provide a source(s) for this? I've never read/heard he had a day time job. What job was that? Also, does it really matter if he 'worked weekends'? Most accounts confirm that he worked on and off on the construction whenever he could. I agree though, it is a lot cooler at night and is a good reason to do manual labor at this time. But does that negate the possibility that there is a 'mystery' to his construction techniques?

[edit on 23-5-2009 by Flux8] Edited to combine responses and fix some typos

[edit on 23-5-2009 by Flux8]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join