It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Mysterious Ancient Megaliths

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flux8
Byrd,

So Ed Leedskalnin's big secret of how he built Rock Gate Park, (so big of a secret he would only work at night after scouring his property to make sure he wasn't being spied on) was the use of block and tackle, a couple of timber tripods, and some cables and chains, using common engineering techniques? Wow... what a secret.

According to the site and photos, etc.

Yet he was willing to publish an outline of his experimental observations with electromagnetism after the park was built (Magnetic Current, 1945)? And in this manuscript he talks about how to make perpetual motion holders for a perpetual motion machine, which he claimed he applied for a patent on it.

He was quite interested in it; a lifelong quest, but never actually achieved it.

Seems like a much bigger secret to keep under your hat than common engineering techniques. It doesn't make sense why he'd vehemently guard the constuction and basic building techniques but not how to build perpetual motion machines.

I think he had worked out some theories that he liked but never got such a machine going... or we'd see it in Coral Castle, y'know?

(bbcode)

[edit on Mon May 25 2009 by Jbird]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
To me it just seems quite unlikely that a small, sickly man such as him could achieve the building of Coral Castle all on his own, working only at night and on the weekends.

Hie thyself down to the Museum of Nature and Science in Fair Park some weekend. In the same hall with the "spies" exhibit is a physics area, with three platforms and three pulleys. Even weakling me can lift myself and my granddaughter and a bit more if we all stand on the third platform.

You see that same pulley system in one of the pictures of Ed.

He was a railroad worker and had access to the knowledge of railroad men (how they manually moved heavy things... like with trucks, wheelbarrows, and skids) and how they set them up. We use modern equipment, so it all looks strange to us.

And Ed didn't work it all by himself... he had one or two friends who came in at times and helped (according to the site.)

But structures like the Neuschwanstein (en.wikipedia.org...) castle of "Mad King Ludvig" with its huge stone door (fitted just like the one on Coral Castle) really were done by this type of technology. It has been around for centuries but it's not used much now since more effective ways of building have been developed with new technology.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Stumpy1

Yep same guy and very talented.

If you liked his Conan try his much lesser known Pusadian series which is set in a similar Conanian fantasy world. Enjoy

[edit on 23/5/09 by Hanslune]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Howdy Big Furry

Yep, I encourage your search. If EL had some secret I'd be surprized but it would be a pleasant surrpize.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Byrd,

What site are you refering to? I've never read that he was a railroad worker. He was a logger in Canada for a short time and eventually made his way down to California, after which he relocated to Florida when he was diagnosed with TB. But I get your over all point, it is possible that he picked up useful info how to move logs and such. So then he must have put practical knowledge to work using 3-5 ton rated chains, a lumber tripod (by the way, what weight are those rated at?), block and tackle, and started moving the average 10 ton blocks, including his largest 30 ton block, (not to intuit, that's 60,000 lbs, half the weight of an M1A1 Abrams tank).

The only references to a friend helping him out was when he moved his park/castle from the original site to where it is today. Lets put this into context... A neighbor allowed Ed to use his large truck to move the stones/blocks up north. The neighbor would drive his truck to the original site and leave it over night for Ed to load up. In the morning the neighbor would drive the loaded truck to the new location (because Ed did not drive, he road a bicycle everywhere), and leave it over night for Ed to unload. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The friend did offer to help Ed tear down and reconstruct the castle, but Ed refused. He would not allow the friend to see how he moved the blocks. Ed wouldn't begin moving them until his friend had left.

It's interesting you should reference his friend's help. According to the friend, one morning after he had dropped off the emptied truck he realised he had left his lunch pail in the cab. When he returned roughly 20-30 minutes later to get it he'd discovered that the truck was loaded and ready to go for that night.

Sorry, I didn't want to detract/derail from the topic.

Happy Memorial Day!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
What comes to mind when I read the words, "It can't be done today", pertaining to ancient monoliths is not that it can't be done but it isn't done. Equipment and knowledge is available to lift and transport such massive objects thanks to recent advancements in machines. But the fact remains that we do not build things like those ancient monolithic structures and I think the reason for this has to do with its purpose. So it can be done, but why?

If they all are nothing more than tombs, grave markers or maybe a "look what I can do" appeasement to the gods than no big deal. However with the careful aligmnent of the cardinal points and an observance to astronomy in these structures I am not satisfied with the excepted explanations for their purpose of honoring a king or a god.

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The only way to prove EL did anything 'mysterious' is to duplicate his methods.

I may be taking your reply to BFFT out of context but a mystery cannot be proven. By proving a mystery makes it no longer mysterious so if you don't believe in what can't be proven the there are no such things as mysteries. The same goes for religious beliefs.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flux8
What site are you refering to? I've never read that he was a railroad worker. He was a logger in Canada for a short time and eventually made his way down to California, after which he relocated to Florida when he was diagnosed with TB.

I have probably misremembered. I was running without checking references and now I can't find the page which says what his profession was. I did remember that he worked with and around people who moved heavy loads on a regular basis. Logging would make more sense, since they have to lift and transport heavy and awkward loads.

So then he must have put practical knowledge to work using 3-5 ton rated chains, a lumber tripod (by the way, what weight are those rated at?), block and tackle, and started moving the average 10 ton blocks, including his largest 30 ton block, (not to intuit, that's 60,000 lbs, half the weight of an M1A1 Abrams tank).

We don't know where that was quarried (at least, I sure don't). It may have been cut from a quarry face, loaded onto a flat-bedded vehicle and simply hauled. Ramps of any sort would make moving the stone into place a fairly simple proposition, and a brace bar with a counterweight would have made it go up the ramp even faster. I'm sure there's geological ways to determine where the stone came from, but that would take some research and some time.

I realize the Florida landscape is pretty flat. However, unless you own a property, nobody's going to let you go carving huge holes into their land to quarry limestone. So it would be interesting to go see the original quarry and see what traces were left there.

The only references to a friend helping him out was when he moved his park/castle from the original site to where it is today.

I found some contradictory notes on this, so I'm not sure what to think.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply, Byrd.
I would love to see the info contradicting the 'official' accounts of Ed, if and when you have the time. Yes, I would love to see his old site 10 miles south, and the quarry, but I live on the other coastline. So until the kid is grown up, my wife and I retire, and we buy a Winnebego, it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Devino,
Exactly. Consider the 'calendar' site at Nabta Playa and Stonehenge. If you were to turn the N/S alignment at Nabta 15-20 degrees west and overlay it over Stonehenge that N/S alignment fits perfectly over the N/NW and S/SE barrows at the outer circumference of Stonehenge. At which you can see the line representing the summer solstice matches perfectly with the long NW ditch running to the Avon river. No bodies were found at either of those sites.

If we were to follow Dr. Brophy's assessment of the large monoliths south of the 'calendar' site at Nabta, (that they represent the positions of 6 stars, which are Dubhe, 3 stars of Orion's belt, and Sirius... and using a unit measurement of 0.799 meters = 1 lightyear then they accurately display the actual distances of those stars) we find that there is a large group of mounds located south of Stonehenge. I used google earth and measured the distances of those mounds from Stonehenge and it seems if there is a correlation between the two sites then the unit measurement at the Stonehenge site would pretty much be 1 meter = 1 lightyear. Perhaps Dr. Brophy outlines this in his book, which I haven't read.

Now, I wonder, have any bodies been found at those mounds south of Stonehenge? And if the two sites are so closely related what can we infer from the actual outer and inner rings and specific blue stones at Stonehenge? Are there more 'stars'/mounds around Stonehenge we should be taking note of and comparing to our star charts? What other henges and mounds should we review for comparison?

Furthermore, what I find almost more interesting than these two specific sites is the grouping of 30 'complex structures' relatively near the calendar site at Nabta. Again, for those who haven't read it yet it's about in the middle of the article... www.comp-archaeology.org...

Given these people's obvious accomplishments, I think these pits served a completely different purpose than symbolic burial chambers for large 'roughly shaped bovine' slabs. I think cross disciplines may shed more light on their purposes, a far more practical purpose for digging 2-4 meter holes in the desert directly over quartzitic formations.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by Flux8]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

Great article! Although you should make a correction. Solomon's temple was completely destroyed by the Babylonians under Nebuchazzar. The western wall that remains was built by Herod the Great around 19 B.C.E.

So far as magic being used to build these things, I don't buy into it. These structures were built by the hands, blood, and sweat of people. To say otherwise just diminishes their accomplishments.

However there is a tradition in the Talmud that the blocks for Solomon's temple were cut by a special, one of a kind worm, called the Shamir. This worm is said to be able to cut stone and metal by just looking at it.

But on the other hand the bible says that tools were used.

When the house was built, it was with stone prepared at the quarry, so that neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron was heard in the house while it was being built.
1Kings 6:7

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by J-in-TX

Thanks for this information, I will check it out ...that is what is excellent about this site, you get some pearls of oddities to research

top topics

<< 1   >>

join