It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why is it called the Atlantic?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
just a thought that crossed my mind recently it maybe totaly ob and a stupid qestion, but why is the atlantic called so? named after atlantis maybe, or did someone dedicate the name to the ocean after atlantis?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I'm sure you could probably find an answer for this using google. However, I recall from a mythology class in college that the Atlantic refers to Atlas who was supposedly located in the area of North Africa, across from Gibralter.
The waters beyond him were the Atlas Ocean or Sea, thus Atlantic. However, seems to me it should be the Atlastic Ocean. lol. Anyway, my Greek was never very good.
Anyway, the Lost City of Atlantis perhaps takes its name from Atlas?

[edit on 19-5-2009 by kyred]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonicX007

just a thought that crossed my mind recently it maybe totaly ob and a stupid qestion, but why is the atlantic called so? named after atlantis maybe, or did someone dedicate the name to the ocean after atlantis?

From Etymology Dictionary:
Atlantic Look up Atlantic at Dictionary.com
1387, occean of athlant "sea off the west coast of Africa," from L. Atlanticus, from Gk. Atlantikos, adjectival form of Atlas (gen. Atlantos), in ref. to Mount Atlas in Mauritania (see Atlas). Applied to the whole ocean since 1601.

Online Etymology Dictionary (19 May 2009)

www.etymonline.com...

snipurl.com...

Peace

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The Atlantic Ocean was named by the Greeks ( for its strong waves ) and the Pacific Ocean was named after its calmness by the Spanish i believe. i could be wrong on the pacific but im positive the greeks named the atlantic

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think they call it Atlantic because it is really close to Georgia. Thank god those damn Ruskiees didn't win! Woot ATL!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I think they name it the Atlantic as "Pacific" was already taken.

Seriously, there were many names similar to Atlantic used by many and several cultures, even those in South America. It couldn't have been named anything else.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand

1387, occean of athlant "sea off the west coast of Africa," from L. Atlanticus, from Gk. Atlantikos

Peace

The name "athlant" above reminds me of the goddess Athena. There is great mystery on who Athena really was. Athens would have been called Poseidon if Athena didn't win the competition of the gods. The main character in the Atlantis tale is Poseidon and it seems he lost his island and she gained a city that's still standing. Maybe she convinced Zeus to sink it.

In the thread below the information about Athena seems to be the most interesting.
The legend of Medusa the Gorgon and Tlaltecuhtli the earth goddess originated from the same source

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
1387, occean of athlant "sea off the west coast of Africa," from L. Atlanticus, from Gk. Atlantikos, adjectival form of Atlas (gen. Atlantos), in ref. to Mount Atlas in Mauritania (see Atlas). Applied to the whole ocean since 1601.

That's correct. I was a little surprised to see the question... apparently they don't teach this in school any longer?

Makes me feel Darn Old.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
The name "athlant" above reminds me of the goddess Athena.

Different root word source.

There is great mystery on who Athena really was.

She appears to be a derivative of a very ancient snake goddess.

Atlas (if you recall your Greek Mythology) was a Titan, one of the First Gods, who held the sky upon his shoulders. He tried to trick Hercules into taking the burden, but Hercules tricked him instead.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I believe that Atlantis received it's name from being located in the Atlantic.
Not sure exactly though.

That's correct. I was a little surprised to see the question... apparently they don't teach this in school any longer?

Makes me feel Darn Old.

Makes me feel stupid, the name origins of the oceans was never taught in class.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
well case is closed i guess they didn't get the answer they wanted. But ill give it to you.
It is called the atlantic because it was the home of Atlantis

now you have to answer a question for me. How do i join ATS and post in threads?

top topics

join