It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calls to ban the "insanity" of brutal cage fighting in Germany

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wachstum
Maybe. But it has the aesthetics of street fights. You don't watch these either, you get sick in the stomach and call the police.

Yes, but keep in mind not everyone feels the same about it as you do. And not everyone sees it as 'barbaric' as you do.

To be honest, if you don't like it, don't watch it. That way, you don't have to watch it and your views of it don't infringe on those who do want to watch it.

Any besides, it's only made because there's public demand for it.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Well I'm not a big fan of violence - as far as television and Wars, however I do love to watch the NFL which is pretty violent & brutal & I have enjoyed UFC in the past.

Like it or not humans - especially men who have testosterone flowing through our veins are a violent species. Having outlets such as these semi-violent sports gives us an outlet to our violence that with rules results in less injury and death than real fights or wars which it seems some of us were designed for.

I don't see the UFC or it's counterparts going away anytime soon, and hey if Germany wants to ban them I don't think anyone's going to complain except a few German fans who'll have to travel further to see a live event.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
The participants and audience have their free will, and look what they choose. I am a peace advocate as well, but as long as people are willing to pay for such things they will continue to fight. I think bull fights are pretty gross spectacles, but does that bullfights stop? nope it doesn't.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I can see the concern with some people being cautious of children watching these fights. But I strongly suggest this decision should be up to the PARENTS. And the Parents only.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I train in BJJ and submission wrestling and I coach boxing. I was a high school football player and played D2 ball for one season. I would rather my son cage fight ANY day.

Football is the single most barbaric game in modern times. It fosters mob mentality and worships functional illiterates! Look at MMA there are dozens of the top level fighters who are college grads: engineering degrees, lit, history, there is even a pro fighter who is an ER doc.

Save your 'civility' and 'outrage' for someone who buys this 'modern man' thesis that violence can be purged from the soul. Violence must be embraced to be controlled!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wachstum

What if they wore black socks (up to the knees) and sandles in the cage fight?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
You do know that some of the best UFC fighters have been from Europe right?

You might want to watch it. Its alot more entertaining then boxing.

No way. I've boxed my whole life, so I STRONGLY disagree. *respectfully*

The conditioning that boxing demands is unbelievable. These UFC fights don't compare.

IMO, Manny Paquaio was the athlete of the year last year. Winning (bouts)in different weight classes (which is really really difficult), and he just destroyed Ricky Hatton, which I thought was going the other way around.

But back on topic.

As mentioned, should be up to the parents to determine if they want to let their kids watch it or not.

There's things on television that I think are much worse (influence) than fights.
How about the pills and booz commercials for beginners.

And HOW ABOUT THE NEWS!!!!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wachstum
I hope that's not for long. I hope the world changes and people don't support anymore any more violence - in any forms

That’s a nice sentiment but it’s about as realistic as hoping to find a unicorn in your yard. People have watched these sorts of spectacles since the dawn of time and will probably do so until the end of history. But of course, you might say “Well we need to evolve beyond that” or “Think on a higher level”. Total Crap. We are still animals at our core. The thrill of mortal competition is still a prime mover in the human psyche. Why not at least control it and present it in an atmosphere where it is confined and regulated?

We will always have certain primal desires within us. It is better to present (and relieve) them in a controlled fashion instead of trying to repress them and pretend they don’t exist.

(Here’s where we get all the replies along the lines of “I don’t feel the need to commit or promote violence. I don’t have a violent bone in my body. I Would NEVER hurt another human” etc., etc.)

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by passenger
Total Crap. We are still animals at our core.

(Here’s where we get all the replies along the lines of “I don’t feel the need to commit or promote violence. I don’t have a violent bone in my body. I Would NEVER hurt another human” etc., etc.)

Sure you are right.

See? I don't fight.

You are right, true and simple. Humans will always be animals and they will always enjoy cage fighting (some of them, at least).

However, when all the problems that govern the behaviour of humans will be history, for example the long working time or the habit to deceive oneself, the brutal animal human will develop to a responsible soul. Because there will be no reason anymore for fighting and hatred etc. Still, he will remain an animal, because he has a body.

You know, humanity has just started. There is enough time for some more evolution, because the universe will still last for a couple of trillion years. So, supposed the human race will survive adolescence, what do you think is it, that they will do the next trillion years?

Sure we will evolve. And there is no other path for evolution than to a peaceful and responsible animal.

Don't give up hope. Our times are very transitory

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join