It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen commits suicide over 'sexting' pics

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
This is the scary future. Once upon a time when someone did something potentially embarassing it could be covered up, forgotten, burried, whatever. Now everything is permanent. The moment something you do is digitzed and uploaded, it will always exist somewhere. We all need to be far more careful about what we do in front of cameras and it seems to be getting harder and harder to NOT be in front of a camera these days.

She had sent nude pictures of herself to a boyfriend. When they broke up, he sent them to other high school girls.

Article Here

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I think it is dumb someone ending their life over an event like this. As they say Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem!

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I do not think it is the solution either but it happened. It can happen again. Whether you or I or anyone else thinks it is stupid, it happens. People need to be aware of the embarassment and ex can cause now with all the digital recording of almost anything. I am not going to call the girl stupid since she is dead and that would not help at all. I just hope this is a warning to others who may be as fragile as she was.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by evil incarnate

I do agree that this indeed could happen again. But in today's world there really is no way of preventing this. There are obvious pre-measures for parents, but teenagers tend to be very crafty when it comes down to disobeying their parents.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
great , the girl should get a darwin award . she was stupid , and the world will be better off without fools like her .

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
My point is not to tell parents to govern their children better. I am simply trying to warn the teens themselves. They can easily prevent this by not doing things like sending nude pics over the phone to your high school sweet heart. I just want them to stop and think befor they do anything in front of a camera. You seem to want to blame or dismiss the poor girl because teenagers are rebelious? Teenagers are also quite capable of realizing what a bad thing is and learning to avoid it. I am just trying to help.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedog
I think it is dumb someone ending their life over an event like this.

There's nothing "dumb" about someone taking their own life at any age but especially at such a young age. To say so shows a complete lack of compassion and empathy for someone that obviously felt so desperate as to take such an action.

I don't mean to have a go at you but I find such a statement to be, well, not so clever.

Perhaps what you meant to say is that you don't understand it.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by thedog

Some friend you are, someone dies and you call them dumb. Next time I am in despair I will make sure not to call on you, for you may call me stupid for feeling the way I do.

This is a sad story. A beautiful girl tormented and saw no way out. May peace be with her soul.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Oh dear god!

This is awful, I don't know anything to do about it, and provide no answer.

Other then to hang the boy who sent it to everyone.

Which is I admit animalistic.

Its hard to go to the police, and exploit yourself even further in this scenario. I'd assume you would feel trapped. poor thing

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Kombatt98

That is kind of harsh. She was irresponsible as a lot of teenagers can be, but that is no reason for a girl of her age to die. Even when self inflicted.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

I am with you 100%.

This is a tragic and needless death of a vulnerable child.

Shame on those who criticise her. And huge shame on her faithless ex-boyfriend.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Hold on, I think I tripped myself on this one. I didn't mean SHE was dumb as I am only 18 years old my self, and had my friend commit suicide last year. I meant the IDEA was dumb. I personally am saddened to hear this story.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by thedog

She may of been irresponsible to post nude pics of herself, to a guy she thought she trusted. But the fact the guy she thought she trusted was to 'purposely' and meanfully send the pics to a ton of others, was not out of trust but to cause harm, and it's a sensitive thing, it cause physical, mental, and if you will spiritual harm to a person.

The guy was at fault, he knew better then to betray a trust, and purposely cause harm in the harshest way. Exploiting a girl who had trust.

Sickening, I know your post meant no harm, I just think viewers might feel this way, and they make up what 80% of page views, so they'll see my response and this is it.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kombatt98
great , the girl should get a darwin award . she was stupid , and the world will be better off without fools like her .

Precisely the attitude of the people who drove her to kill herself.

In my opinion, and as long as we're outing the people we all think the world would be better off without:

I think the world would be better off without people like you - prudish to the point where a relatively normal dose of sexuality warrants a death sentence.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Not to offend, but as a person of only 18 (and I am not asking for pity) I have lost 4 friends in one year, in which one case was due to suicide.

I personally think your opinion of me or at least my words as being non compassionate is rather blind, when on the contrary I am trying to be understanding to such a situation.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by thedog

I understand you, as a person who committed suicide, and was relunctantly pulled back.

I understand. I feel stupid for doing it and other feelings of stupidity.

Lucky I got saved though. Your alright man your alright.

And for you saying your age, i'm a college student of 20 about, and it doesn't matter your age, but your intelligence, thats what matters, there are some of 60 and know nothing, and some of 12 that could teach as Harvard Professors, don't let the conformity of the world influence who you are. Stand Above, Stand Proud, And Stand Against.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedog
I think it is dumb someone ending their life over an event like this. As they say Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem!

I think you summed it up well by saying that she was 'dumb'( in the usual non MR usage of the word); exactly what the vast, vast majority of people are at 17 and 18. Either way i don't know what can be done beside going after the even dumber boyfriends who distribute such material because their pathetic little ego's were hurt. It's after all all fun and games ( on the schoolyard and at home) until the victims turn on the bullies and tries to kill them or , in this case ( as women are prone to do) themselves. For every young adult that kills themselves due to these types of circumstances there are a hundred that survives with lasting mental scars.

Our solution of medicating them with mind altering drugs shows just how little we understand or care about the 'insignificant' problems of our children .

Another thing we should get away from is calling 16 -18 year old women 'teenagers' when full physical development is normally reached at 16 in the developed world. The problem isn't so much that they are not physically ready but that the guys they are forced to associated with at school ( below 18) are both physically and emotionally less mature hence some of this trouble.

Or we could just blame western culture for commercializing the female body; a trendy thing to do however much it may apply here....

Stellar

[edit on 18-5-2009 by StellarX]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Really in this world of digitization any pictures taken can be all over the web and with the picture takers friends and family as well. So if you don't want a picture distributed, do NOT take the picture. Is that too hard to understand?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

no thank you, we don't need sermonising from westerners ,

Precisely the attitude of the people who drove her to kill herself. In my opinion, and as long as we're outing the people we all think the world would be better off without: I think the world would be better off without people like you - prudish to the point where a relatively normal dose of sexuality warrants a death sentence.

people were having fun at her expense . lol

I think the world would be better off without people like you - prudish to the point where a relatively normal dose of sexuality warrants a death sentence.

so you expect me to be concerned about some stupid girl who killed herself , rather than those who struggle to survive daily . despite being many poor in poor nations , they manage to remain happier than you stupid westerners , who are so concerned about the size of boobies,the car, mobile you have etc. blah lbah

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Since she was 18 I have to wonder if more was going on in her life or if she was suffering from a form of depression. When 13, 14, and even 15 year olds harm themselves over this stuff it's just as sad but less shocking. I would hope that an 18 year old would be able to handle the situation better.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join