It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Torture Continues at Guantánamo Bay

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Torture Continues at Guantánamo Bay

www.truthout.org

As the Obama administration continues to fight the release of some 2,000 photos that graphically document U.S. military abuse of prisoners in Iraq and Afghanistan, an ongoing Spanish investigation is adding harrowing details to the ever-emerging portrait of the torture inside and outside Guantánamo. Among them: "blows to [the] testicles;" "detention underground in total darkness for three weeks with deprivation of food and sleep;" being "inoculated ... through injection with 'a disease for dog cysts;'" the smearing of feces on prisoners; and waterboarding. The torture, according to th
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well this does not surprise me at all. With the way the Obama administration is handling the torture practices of the Bush admin I am jack's complete lack of surprise. While this angers me extremely bad I feel that nothing will change unless justice is served the responsible parties. The fact that is continuing still makes me sick to my stomach and now I am even more ashamed of my country then I was yesterday.

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Don't hold your breath on that one. The scheduled closing of Gitmo only takes place in about 12 months, which is plenty of time for them to find a place to just "relocate" the base and make it unknown to the public.

Obama is continuing the same thing the previous administration did, he simply words it better. Not the mention the Messiah complex the MSM seem to have in his regard.

I think the real reason for not releasing the photos would be political suicide for Obama, he'd then HAVE to tell the attorney general to prosecute the people who allowed this to happen due to public outrage.

And what would that mean? Delving into the Bush administration shadow government practices, and to be truthfull, no future politican wants to do that.

~Keeper

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I certainly will not hold my breathe. As to the closing of gitmo I am not so sure it will happen that smoothly. No one is going to want these prisoners and even if it is closing there is absolutely no excuse for Barry to be allowing this nonsense to continue.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by iamjesusphish

Again, they will be closing "Gitmo" as in the place, but they will open another trust me, accept this time it can be kept secret.

~Keeper

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Those left at Guantanamo are the most dangerous of the Terrorists.

To accept this article, I'd have to accept these Terrorists are telling the truth and that their Attorneys are telling the truth; when in fact they are just parroting what their clients say is true.

Obama folded because nobody wants these Terrorists living with or around them, not even Spain. Nobody will take them in but they continue with these stories.

The Red Cross is on site or are you not aware of that. They have complete freedom to monitor and they are not reporting these things. Don't be so quick to believe what is in print on a bigoted site that hates American's and may well be all propaganda from the Terrorists themselves.

Ask yourself, would I let these people live in my house and leave them alone with my children? If you can't honestly say yes, perhaps you should rethink why you believe this propaganda so easily.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
So, does "Spain" have any proof of this? Aside from rumor? To me it sounds like propaganda, it maybe be true...but I don't see any evidence that supports the claim.

link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I see what your saying but what reason would Spain have to spread Anti-American propaganda? I am like always sharing this information to be informative not to push my political views. Don't be so quick to write this off because its coming out of Spain and out of the "Terrorists" mouths. I don't believe 3/4's of what is coming from our media right now so I like to have alternative views on these situations.

link   
Obama allows continued torture at Gitmo.

Oh

Please

Stop

Oh

Yawn

Stop

What did people expect seriously? Like it or not some of those guys are just straight out dangerous.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Well thats presuming that they are terrorists at all now doesn't it?

We've all read the reports of the hundreds of people who weren't terrorists that were sent to Gitmo for silly things.

I know some of them really are, since well, I'd like to believe your government did capture at least one of them during their little 8 year war here.

Anyway, they do have a big problem in relocating these prisoners, nobody wants them. And even if they aren't terrorists, they are scared forever, this could lead to some very Anti-American behaviour on their part.

The US may have created terrorists with this program and not even know it. Which leads me to believe they will simply send them to another prison that's currently being built in secrecy, somewhere.

~Keeper

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Either way if you think its ok to torture prisoners because they are the most dangerous people in the world I think that is ignorant. Some of these prisoners are most likely being held without Habeas corpus. Some may be innocent and some are very very guilty. Regardless I believe torture is unacceptable no matter what the reason. The fact that the muslim world hates us over religion is disgusting. Imagine no religion?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

WHaaaa! gimmee a flippin' break. These are murderers and terrorists. Do you think we should be bringing them Pizza Hut and McDonalds? I say behead them on T.V. and see how the rest of them like it. Do you think Matt Maupins' mom or Eugene Armstrongs' family gives a crap about a little poop and a little water. THIS IS A FREAKIN' WAR PEOPLE. Wake up and quit letting the Democrats brain wash you.
Do you think they read you your rights before they cut your head off?

[edit on 16-5-2009 by johnnyflip]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

That is my main concern. These prisoners need to go somewhere else and no one wants them and with the amount of money in Black Op's I am sure a new facility is being built in secret. I am positive that these practices continuing will fuel the hatred towards us and create potential "terrorists" that would not have been otherwise.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by johnnyflip

Ignorant. You sound like your a fan of George W. I am not a democrat nor am I brainwashed. In your opinion, if we are at war torture is ok? Heres something you should read.

"Habeas corpus (pronounced /ˌheɪbiːəs ˈkɔrpəs/) (Latin: You (shall) have the body[1]) is a legal action, or writ, through which a person can seek relief from the unlawful detention of him or herself, or of another person. It protects the individual from harming him or herself, or from being harmed by the judicial system. The writ of habeas corpus has historically been an important instrument for the safeguarding of individual freedom against arbitrary state action."

source

"After the administration of President George W. Bush asserted that detainees were not entitled to any of the protections of the Geneva Conventions, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Hamdan v. Rumsfeld on June 29, 2006 that they were entitled to the minimal protections listed under Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions.[4] Following this, on July 7, 2006, the Department of Defense issued an internal memo stating that prisoners would in the future be entitled to protection under Common Article 3.[5][6][7]

On January 22, 2009 the White House announced that President Barack Obama had signed an order to suspend the proceedings of the Guantanamo military commission for 120 days and that the detention facility would be shut down within the year.[8][9] On January 29, 2009 a military judge at Guantanamo rejected the White House request in the case of Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, creating an unexpected challenge for the administration as it reviews how America puts Guantanamo detainees on trial."[url=After the administration of President George W. Bush asserted that detainees were not entitled to any of the protections of the Geneva Conventions, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Hamdan v. Rumsfeld on June 29, 2006 that they were entitled to the minimal protections listed under Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions.[4] Following this, on July 7, 2006, the Department of Defense issued an internal memo stating that prisoners would in the future be entitled to protection under Common Article 3.[5][6][7] On January 22, 2009 the White House announced that President Barack Obama had signed an order to suspend the proceedings of the Guantanamo military commission for 120 days and that the detention facility would be shut down within the year.[8][9] On January 29, 2009 a military judge at Guantanamo rejected the White House request in the case of Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, creating an unexpected challenge for the administration as it reviews how America puts Guantanamo detainees on trial.

source

Please educate yourselves before you make responses that make you look like an ass...

[edit on 16-5-2009 by iamjesusphish]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by johnnyflip

Wow you must be like 12?

What's your point? It's a war, yes it is. But you want your people to act like animals?

Just because the terrorists blow themsevles up we need to go to an even lower standard and torture them?

Where is your humanity? I would love to see you put in that situation and see if you would like to be tortured with these "enhanced" interrogation techniques.

The ignorance is rampant in American Culture, it simply bewilders me.

~Keeper

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamjesusphish

I see what your saying but what reason would Spain have to spread Anti-American propaganda? I am like always sharing this information to be informative not to push my political views. Don't be so quick to write this off because its coming out of Spain and out of the "Terrorists" mouths. I don't believe 3/4's of what is coming from our media right now so I like to have alternative views on these situations.

Why would the Red Cross hide this and most of the article is quotes from a Terrorists attorney. I don't see anyone in Spain's Government involved in this article. You are aware that Spain has a pretty profound Terrorist problem itself?

I'd bet you a dollar this is just propaganda put out by a Terrorists attorney for the obvious reasons. According to Attorneys all Criminals are innocent and the authorities always are lying, even when it's on video tape.

removed unnecessary comment by me, sorry
[edit on 5/16/2009 by Blaine91555]

[edit on 5/16/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Well thats presuming that they are terrorists at all now doesn't it?

Spain thinks they are. They refused to take them in.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I am not pro-terrorist at all. I am pro-human and in our country everyone is innocent until proven guilty. It seems a lot of people forget that. I love my country, yes the US but believe we are better than this, much better than this.
Why on earth would Spain take our prisoners? Explain that to me please.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by iamjesusphish]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I admit I was wrong to post that and I have removed it.

Why do you suppose Spain won't take these Terrorists?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Thank you for removing that, I'm guessing Spain doesn't want our prisoners because they are ours. We locked them up hence they are our responsibility not Spain's our any other allied country.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join