It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Prison System - Is it too Cruel?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Tyler 720

Thanks for the advice. He is well adjusted luckily. But through him being in prison, I have become aware of how prison really is. It's not a resort like some people seem to think. Maybe some have it easy but that doesn't mean that all prisonsare like that. Being in prison support groups, I hear all the horror stories. It is not always just that one person bucks the system and deserves what he gets. Even when you play the game, you can still end up in the direst of circumstances. Especially for people who do not have loved ones on the outside to look out for them. People who have no contact with the outside world have to take what they get. They guards can do whatever they want and get away with it.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pharaohmoan

That would be a negative ghost rider. We treat our prisoners so well most of the time they want to come back to live in our free government housing. Prison is not harsh enough. I cannot say that enough.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Marle

The only advice I have for you, not knowing the details, is to communicate with him as much as possible. It is the best thing you can do. Write letters just to write and try to write positive things. Don't spend too much time on the phone with him, It's expensive and it causes friction between inmates. Send money, but not too much. Ninety nine percent of canteen food is junk. Excessive spending is a sign of illegal activity, such as gambling, drugs, or extortion. Try your best to do what he asks. He's helpless in there to take care of his life on the outside; cancel services, monitor bank withdrawls, petition courts(he CAN do that it's just REAL slow), start his car every two weeks.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
When the troubled teen I worked with was released from prison, I was the person who picked him up. The state's penal system did not allow release from prison unless someone was there to pick them up.

He was dressed in sweat pants and shirt that were quite plain. He did not have any jeans or other types of clothes that could be stolen. One of the first things we did was go to a store and buy him some jeans. He changed outside in the parking lot, and I stood in front so he would not get into trouble for indecent exposure (the parking lot was barren). He needed to get out of what he had been wearing, and I could understand that.

I let him drive to the place I had set up and he made some calls that were required (checking in the parole office). He also had a list of things that needed to be done so I helped him with those errands. I also wanted to give him some privacy as he was used to guards and inmates all the time. He adjusted back to society quickly and was determined to never return to prison again. He was just 19 when he was released, and spent over a year in the system (not counting time in the county holding cell).

He took a shower, shaved and got a haircut (he likes buzz cuts), and was quite happy to stay with me for a while. When he was released, he looked scruffy, and after the grooming looked like his normal self. He showed me the tattoos he received in prison (a few more, none on the face or neck) and stated he would have gotten in big trouble had the guards found out.

While he did have a TV in his cell, he hated being cooped up. I think many people forget about the lack of freedom and privacy one has in prison. I visited him in prison and it was quite emotional for both of us. (I also remember sending him some magazines and they were confiscated as they broke some type of rules. He did receive his car magazines, just not the other ones.) Now he is doing good for himself, and many people do not know he is an ex-con.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The statistics for a released inmate returning to prison in my state is 85%. I was shown these stastics in a class provided 4 months before release. The chart provided showed me more than I believe it showed others. While the main point seemed to be the hopelessness of ones situation, I saw the line graph like this.

Within the first six months of release, the line shoots from 0 inmates returning to 85%. The line continues around the 85% mark until about 4 years from release then it drops sharply.

The info I got that no one else seemed to get was I've realy got to be determined the first 6 months and remain vigilent for the next 3 and a half years and what the heck stay that way forever.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pharaohmoan

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Too cruel? Prisons aren't cruel enough! I can't believe you think they are cruel. These inmates get fed, a roof over their head, gym access, ect, something that many people who never broke the law or hurt anyone get!

I think prisons are entirely TOO nice and comfortable. They actually need to make prison a stricter, darker, more uncomfortable and unpleasant place, one that people will loathe returning to.

Then may karma show you how wrong you truly are!

Karma is obviously a concept you understand little of, otherwise you would not have made such a ridiculous statement.

Karma is a great balancing of the books, and it is something sadly that is not being conducted in regards to people who go to prison.

They are there because they CHOSE to commit acts of evil. No one made them do so. Thus, the fruits and reprecussions of their actions should be likewise, evil and unpleasant.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

True, that- but as someone who was wrongly imprisoned, I can tell ya- you have NO choice in that matter. I never saw a 'justice' system like the one I was railroaded thru- except on those tv shows where the main characters end up in some rural pig county. The judge told me to shut up- I was guilty, and then I was thrown in jail for a few days. I only got out after signing some paper that I was guilty and poor. (Dont ask me what it actually was- that's what they told me it was).

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well prison is not as bad as jail i will tell you that much. Jail is where is gets bad, people are only in jail for a year or so at a time so it is not made a comfortable place to live. The idea is if you experience in jail is bad you might not want to go back or find out what prison is like. In prison people get TVs in their rooms, some people even get ice and make make-shift coolers to keep soda and food cold, you get the idea? Im not saying prison is vacation but it is not what people think.
It is not about "if you can do the crime you should be able to do the time". First time offenders are usually given very light Jail sentances if the crime is not particularly hanus. I do not think that everyone in prison is a hardened criminal but if they are in prison chances are that it is not from their first tango with the law.
IMO the prison system does not work as there is little chance for education and reform. I remember talking to an officer that worked in the county Jail. A guy that was being released walked by and said "im getting out today, i hope i never see you at work again". The officer looked up and said rather seriously said "If people like you don't come back i would be out of a job, i bet i see you next week".

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
first on average most prisoners have been on probation about 6 times
and been given the chance to change their ways second prisoners can do their time by not being loud and not preying on other prisoners this way guards are less likely to notice you and should leave you alone i think if prison guards use to much force on a violent prisoner they should have the option of taking corpral punishment rather than being fired because it would show which officers who would lead by example.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join