It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New increase of $2.00 Tax on ONE Pack of Cigs? - Taxes on Chips, Sodas and Alcohol - Congress Consid

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

ok...

You dont smoke- You dont pay the tax.= Doesnt hurt you.
You dont drink soda or eat junk food-You Dont Pay the Tax=Dont hurt you
You dont eat chips- You dont pay the tax= dont hurt you.
You dont have any vices-You dont pay the tax= Doesnt hurt you.

so how is it that all of this taxation is effecting you?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

No you forgot some things

You don't get any health benefits - You don't pay taxes

You don't give any money to charity - you don't have to worry about losing tax benefits from it

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by aimlessly

Congrats on waking up and seeing the light!! You took the red pill - awesome!

the problem is 99% of the people don't want to wake up -

Me? I woke up last fall completely - as I still had wanted to believe our govt. was looking out for all our best interests... seriously the bailout bill is what hit me over the head like a two by four!!

Once the govt. went competely against the will of millions of people having their voices heard by calling their representatives - is when I fully realized our govt. was not for the people anymore!

Sad it took me that long - I wonder what I could have been doing the last few years? - instead of thinking my voice counted with the govt.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Help me Question, I think I am about to go crazy. i dont know if its the stupid people, or if its the stupid people in power thats making me this way.
If I didnt shave my hair off with the clippers I would have pulled it all out by now.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I said I don't smoke much. When I CHOOSE to smoke ( today is a smoking day ) I pay the extra tax.

When I DO smoke I know full well that it is my CHOICE.

I don't like paying taxes, just like anyone else, and do my best to pay the minimum, one way of doing that is by CHOOSING not to smoke ( all the time..lol)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold

To go after people who live a certain lifestyle over those whom live another is completely wrong.

Is it?

Why should someone how chooses not to smoke, drink or use oil have to pay for someone who chooses to do so?

There are some things we cannot choose, our race, our gender, our NEED for food and shelter. There are some things we can choose, our habits, our mode of transportation ect;

When I choose to smoke, I understand that I will pay more tax to do so.

The more you consume, the more tax you should pay. I would support a higer sales tax, for example, in lieu of an income tax, that way the more you consume, the more you pay.

It really irks me that the fact that I choose to live responsibily gives me absolutley no advantages.

By the way, my grandma is proud of me! I come from a long line of liberals! *grins good naturedly*

But how much will be enough? They have already hijacked cigs a few times at least, now another 2 dollars? What about soda? Do you want to pay 3 dollars for a canned pop at a vending machine? This government is not my government anymore, it's a dictatorship that hasn't officially changed it's name yet.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

the problem is 99% of the people don't want to wake up

What? Not agreeing with you means that we haven't woke up?

Hmpf.

The money has to come from somewhere - Hell yes, I agree, most should come from the greedy, rich and disgusting corporations, but let's be realistic, the people we all voted into offices around the world get paid more by the evil corporations then they do by us.

Now I'm off to go buy a pack of smokes - I blame you!

P.S. In the UK a pack of cigs costs about 9 dollars - Don't get me started on gas!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I think you are failing to grasp the point in all of this.
Its not the taxation of things that we use that upsets me, its the OVER-TAXATION that is what kills me. Not to mention all that they are doing is singling certain types of people out to bare the burden of the crisis that the govt itself created. What they are doing, in my opinion, is not only unjust, but unconstitutional, and against the law by singling individuals out to take the hit on their problems.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

ohhh, but let's not forget that government workers DO NOT have to pay the same taxes as us common folk! Let me see if I can find some specific data on that to post..........

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This American govt. they just don't know when to let sleeping dogs lie. They already hit smokers with 2 or 3 tax increases, the last one was a doozy and they are already talking another one, bad idea. It almost does make you think they are trying to get us to flip out.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Where have I EVER posted on ATS anywhere - that is people don't agree with me they have not woken up?! NEVER - is the answer!!

First - most people - go talk to them - talk to your family!! See if they will acknowledge our govt. is NOT doing right by the public?

My family doesn't want me to EVER say a word to them about anything - why? - because they want to "believe" it will all get better - they will NOT acknowledge things ARE NOT getting better!!

So don't dare say to me - because people have not agreed with ME - I don't think they have woken up - it is because they WILL NOT ACKNOWLEDGE what is REALLY happening!!!!! They only listen to MSM - oh there? Everything is turning up rosy by MSM accounts!!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
As I have said I am ashamed ...and outraged...!!!

They have robbed the American people...
I think they are on a mission...They know that this is all going to blow up ...and it is going to happen soon...

They are not going to stop...

We are in a corner...Being kicked in the teeth...

Something big is on the way...or they wouldn't be pushing like they are...

They are getting set up ...to ride out the storm... With the American peoples money...While leaving us holding a ...EMPTY...bag...

It is not just this raising of cig...taxes...AGAIN...

It is everything as a whole picture...

They have NO FEAR of paying for what they are doing...
Why...???

There has to be a reason...???

We know this is only a small part of the puzzle...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by sapphirearaidia

Maybe because they are the leaders in bankrupting the entire world, and will recover by creating a one world currency and government? This new government won't owe anyone anything, since we are all in it together, right? Start over with a clean slate?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Friends, look at this video if you need a reminder, it's only 37 seconds long, but it explains the whole deal:

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I am just waiting to see the look on all these peoples faces when they do the final flush...

Most of us on this site know it is coming...

But...The people we try to wake up to what is coming...the ones who don't want to look at the real picture...

Like...Most of my family included...

The zombies...are going to cause us all to go down with the ship...

I think the only thing that might wake people up is a Forced Military Draft...

People just don't seem to care what they do to us...It does not make sense to me at all...

How can people not care that a group of greedy bankers own the whole planet...???

and they treat us like a bunch of lab rat ,slaves...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
its a good thing no one who earns under $250,000 smokes, drinks soda, drinks beer, wine & liquor or eats chips!

else someone might suggest that BO lied about his promise not to raise taxes on the poor & middle class (among other broken promises...)

d'oh!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This is such an interesting topic.

The government is trying to tax anything that can bring in a buck right now.

If they tax my sodas, I'll stop drinking them. Same thing with coffee and/or liquor, wine or beer.

Like many government ideas, this one will also not work out as they expect. People will figure out how to get around the tax.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Nothing is looking good...where is the "undo" button?

What can be done about the affairs that are, have been, plaguing us? I wish I had the answers. Even some suggestions are out reach of my feeble attempts at processing the information presented in this thread.

About all I can do is shout... notice, I said shoUt, but my thoughts are of another, similar spelling. Even shouting does nothing to alleviate the situation, does nothing to ease the frustration.

Unfortunately, we are over a year away from being able to throw some of these whoresons out of office, the proper way, and that is again some, not all of the deserving. I my district, there is not the support needed to recall our representative whore...

What to do, short of shoUting, until I run out of breath?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Ahhh.....can ye smell it???!!??

It smells of revolution!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Hey here is the video you linked - he says it right out loud - exactly what the plan is! Thanks for the vid - I am inserting it in the thread for you.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join