It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

J Edgar Hoover admitted Army recovered downed UFO

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fastwalker81

Originally posted by Thebudweiserstuntman
It appears J Edgar Hoover had previously admitted that the Army had recovered a downed UFO:

"We must insist upon full access to disks recovered. For instance, in the LA case the Army grabbed it and would not let us have it for cursory examination."

According to member Frank Warren and moderator Gazrok the above comment by Hoover referred to the Louisiana case which was a hoax..

Thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

FOIA doc here:

foia.fbi.gov...

Check page 4.

This whole mess of which UFO crashed when sure can be annoying and confusing. If you take F.D.R's February 27, 1942 memo (written two days following B of LA) it sounds like something quite spectacular was found in and around this time period. Perhaps a downed "UFO" as somewhat hinted at in the LA Times article by Jack Smith?

THE NIGHT L.A. BOMBED

by Jack Smith (Los Angeles Times), Tuesday 04-08-1975

"Roaring out of a brilliant moonlit western sky, foreign aircraft flying both in large formation and singly flew over Southern California early today and drew heavy barrages of anti-aircraft fire the first ever to sound over United States continental soil against an enemy invader."

But the second paragraph was rather a letdown: "No bombs were reported dropped." However the account went on, "At 5am, the police reported that an airplane had been shot down near 185th St. and Vermont Avenue Details were not available ..." Neither, as it turned out later, was the airplane. Though no bombs had been dropped, the city had not escaped its baptism of fire without casualties, including five fatalities. So many cars were dashing back and forth in the blackout that three persons were killed in automobile collisions. Two others died of heart attacks.

...'

(Alternate Source: pp. 101, Sword, Terrenz (2002). Battle of Los Angeles 1942: The Mystery Air Raid, 60th Anniversary Edition. New Bruncswick, NJ: Global Communications. ISBN N/A.)

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

"Roaring out of a brilliant moonlit western sky, foreign aircraft flying both in large formation and singly flew over Southern California early today and drew heavy barrages of anti-aircraft fire the first ever to sound over United States continental soil against an enemy invader."

Like I said, "war nerves." "large formation", but "singly flew"? Somebody wants a job with the tabloids.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtraeme

i think thats the biggest leap ive ever seen. Turning a fictitious downed aircraft report in the middle of a city into a downed ufo that was recovered. You have zero witnesses saying anything was found ( out of a heavily populated city) i'm sure the people living in those streets might have heard something , no?

this report illustrates the power of suggestion and the fact people imagine seeing things in moments of high stress.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by yeti101]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I nver much paid any attention to the LA incident. I remember the movie "1942" and thought that was about what happened, but a little research shows the story to be quite different. Here is an excerpt for a site that avoids labeling aircraft that the military was shooting at as UFO's, or Flying Saucers.

www.sfmuseum.com...

Probably much of the confusion came from the fact that anti-aircraft shell bursts, caught by the searchlights, were themselves mistaken for enemy planes. In any case, the next three hours produced some of the most imaginative reporting of the war: “swarms” of planes (or, sometimes, balloons) of all possible sizes, numbering from one to several hundred, traveling at altitudes which ranged from a few thousand feet to more than 20,000 and flying at speeds which were said to have varied from “very slow” to over 200 miles per hour, were observed to parade across the skies. These mysterious forces dropped no bombs and, despite the fact that 1,440 rounds of anti-aircraft ammunition were directed against them, suffered no losses. There were reports, to be sure, that four enemy planes had been shot down, and one was supposed to have landed in flames at a Hollywood intersection. Residents in a forty-mile arc along the coast watched from hills or rooftops as the play of guns and searchlights provided the first real drama of the war for citizens of the mainland. The dawn, which ended the shooting and the fantasy, also proved that the only damage which resulted to the city was such as had been caused by the excitement (there was at least one death from heart failure), by traffic accidents in the blacked-out streets, or by shell fragments from the artillery barrage.

This clearly is a very legitimate source. The military then goes on to state that the U.S. military did report that they believed unidentified aircraft had been flying over LA during this event. Sure sounds like this could have been our first encounter with these UFO's that have since become a regularly reported event.

This article clearly reports that four aircraft were supposedly shot down.

At the end, this statement is made.

A careful study of the evidence suggests that meteorological balloons—known to have been released over Los Angeles —may well have caused the initial alarm. This theory is supported by the fact that anti-aircraft artillery units were officially criticized for having wasted ammunition on targets which moved too slowly to have been airplanes.

I find it hard to believe that many people had been fooled by weather balloons. Was it a common known event for nervous aircraft artillery units to shoot at weather balloons? If this is something that was going on regularly, then that might be a reasonable explanation, if not, something else happened here. How many weather balloons were floating around? You would think that it would be pretty easy to shoot down a weather balloon, and that these shot down weather balloons would have been found, providing evidence to support such a story.

"Look, it is falling out of the sky, track it down."
"Um, they found the thing we shot down, and it was a weather balloon."

End of story. But this didn't happen, and the weather balloon idea was offered much later ignoring that there is no proof to support such an idea.

How many targets are we talking about here that were moving too slowly to have been aircraft.

This is the big clue.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by Xtraeme

i think thats the biggest leap ive ever seen. Turning a fictitious downed aircraft report in the middle of a city into a downed ufo that was recovered. You have zero witnesses saying anything was found ( out of a heavily populated city) i'm sure the people living in those streets might have heard something , no?

this report illustrates the power of suggestion and the fact people imagine seeing things in moments of high stress.

For the record it's not my leap and I hope I was clear that I was stating it as a possibility not a fact. I believe it's the majesticdocuments groups proposal. As for zero witnesses, I can dig up several different newspaper articles stating quite the contrary. If you're interested I'll gladly post them.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by Xtraeme]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla
reply to post by Xtraeme

Like I said, "war nerves." "large formation", but "singly flew"? Somebody wants a job with the tabloids.

I'm quite sure Mr. Smith was trying to illustrate the confusion and many differing accounts that were reported that evening. Though you're free to read in to it what you will.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Here are some other points on the LA incident.

From the same link as I provided above.

Radars tracked the approaching target to within a few miles of the coast....the mysterious object tracked in from sea seems to have vanished.

The time line here isn't very good, but it appears this UFO flew a hundred miles in about 6 minutes, which means it must have been moving well over 400 MPH. That is pretty fast for a WW II plane, in fact, far faster than the fastest WW II era plane. Then it vanished! How did it vanish? There are no reports of radar malfunction, and being that the Air Force didn't seem to have any problems trying to embarrass the army, you'd think they would have reported that. Maybe it was a six minute radar ghost, that was followed up by a visual report from an artillery Colonel, we could call it the magic UFO theory.

This UFO was tracked by radarS, as in multiple radar stations. Which means we have physical evidence from several sources confirming the existence of this UFO. If this were a CSI crime case, I think the jury would buy the hypothesis that this UFO did exist, and it could not be explained by natural, or any known man made phenomenon.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Hoover had a nasty reputation for wanting to know and control everything he could see,hear,or guess was with in his domain. Hoover was one strange dude. I heard a rumor from a CIA opperative in the 1940;s-to-1970's that some of the the intelligence agencies would plant stories they had informatation of very interesting nature, and would not share it with the FBI. This would have drove Hoover nuts. I love it. It might be Hoover could have bean a good counter-intelligence director, but can you picture any one who would have been more ugly in a dress?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Hoover would not have been able to keep ufo's out of the press. If he could have proved they exsisted he would have told america tha the FBI had found 'ET's'. Everything the FBI accomplished he took it to the papers. He made it sound as if it were't for the FBI america would not be safe. He had to be kept out of the loop of any information the gov't wanted to keep secret.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join