It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unidentifed Sounds!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Hello all,

While browsing ATS the other day I stumbled accross a thread that mentioned the strange phenomenon that people call "The Hum". Now, I've never heard of this before so I started researching about it on the net and was very intrigued as to what could actually cause it.

This gave me the idea to start a thread regarding other unidentifiable sounds and what could cause them, so lets begin!

For those that haven't heard of "The Hum" I'll discuss it first;

"The Hum"

The Hum is a generic name for a series of phenomena involving a persistent and invasive low-frequency humming noise not audible to all people. Hums have been reported in various geographical locations. In some cases a source has been located. Hums have been reported all over the world, especially in Europe. A Hum on the Big Island of Hawaii, typically related to volcanic action, is heard in locations dozens of miles apart. The local Hawaiians also say the Hum is most often heard by men. The Hum is most often described as sounding somewhat like a distant idling diesel engine. Typically the Hum is difficult to detect with microphones, and its source and nature are hard to localize.

Link: en.wikipedia.org...

At first I wasn't sure whether I should believe the hum existed or not but after researching it on the internet and reading other peoples accounts I now believe its 100% real.

What strikes me as odd about it is that only certain people can hear it and while there are numerous theories as to what exactly causes it there isn't one definite or scientific reason.

Slow Down

Slow Down is a sound recorded on May 19, 1997, in the Equatorial Pacific ocean by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The source of the sound remains unknown.

Link: en.wikipedia.org...(unidentified_sound)
www.pmel.noaa.gov...

An unidentified sound that slowly decreases in frequency over the duration of 7 minutes, the audio clip on the link has been sped up 16 times its original speed and still seems quite slow - gives an idea of how gradual the frequency decreased on the original.

The cause of the sound is unknown. I find it very strange to think that there's something in our oceans making strange sounds and we don't even know what it is!

Bloop

The Bloop is the name given to an ultra-low frequency underwater sound detected by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration several times during the summer of 1997. The source of the sound remains unknown.

Link: en.wikipedia.org...
www.pmel.noaa.gov...

Similiar to the Slow Down, another unexplainable sound picked up by hydrophones. Whats interesting is that scientists have said the sound matched the profile of a living creature yet if it was an animal that produced it then it would have been larger than a blue wale!

Quacker

Quackers (from Russian: "квакер" -- onomatopoetic word based on a Russian rendition of frog's sound) are mysterious sounds, similar to a frog noise, widely reported by the crews of Soviet Navy submarines from various parts of the North Atlantic and Arctic Oceans during the peak of the Cold War, as well as their assumed sources. They are an example of Unidentified Submerged Objects.[1]

Link: en.wikipedia.org...(sound)

The "Quacker" is my favourite that I have read out of the four listed above. Mysterious frog-like sounds appearing when submarines pass certain points in the sea, you don't get stranger than that!

The other reason I'm interested in this particular story/case is because reportedly these "sounds" exhibited behavior like a living creature i.e. circling the submarines, showing interest in them etc

Appparently the pitch and movement of these sounds also changed when the submarine crews attempted to make contact with them.

Please feel free to add any more unexplainable sounds, stories or experiences. I haven't really elaborated on the theories behind any of the above as I'll leave that up to the readers imagination and own reasoning. I thought the above case's were truly strange and so I decided to post them!

Theres a good article here that lists some other strange noises. Be sure to listen to number 3 - The Hell Hole!!! Thats a strange story...

Cheers

[edit on 11/5/09 by Death_Kron]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
wow this is really cool. I've not heard anything about this before.

I was watching science channel last night before bed, and they caught a colossal squid that got caught on bait line.

no telling what is still down there. It's surprising to think that we still have no idea what is down there.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I had only heard of the Hum before, not actually heard it but the fact it exists, it seems it could be the sound of the planet maybe.
But the others i havnt heard of the slow down seems rather odd.
Very interesting

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I have heard the hum once before. I saw a whisp of clouds part and could see faintly above them a triangular shape. I thought it was a fighter jet at first because it moved so fast!

However it only made a low humming noise as it passed by

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Heh at first I thought this was about that sound you sometimes hear, may even be able to localize but doesn't exist at all (That sudden high-pitch noise that comes out of nowhere).

But now I read what this is.. sounds mysterious

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I've heard of the Hum before also, I think I saw it one night on the history channel... can't remember exactly.

I believe it's a sound the Earth makes due to geological activity. No proof just my thoughts.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
We have one here in New Mexico that has been extensively researched without any conclusions-

www.subversiveelement.com...

Some victims are unable to sleep while the humming reverberates in their brains. Others complain of headaches, nosebleeds, anxiety, shortness of breath and a lack of balance usually associated with inner ear problems. The Taos Hum is named after the American community in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, New Mexico, where it was first heard around 1990. Mrs. K.C. Grams was one of the first "hummers" to go public. Since then scores of Taos residents have complained of the noise. At the time the area's congressional representative, Bill Richardson, pooh poohed the claims. Later convinced the problem was real, he called on the House Permanent Select Commitee on Intelligence to investigate.

The hum is on the threshhold of human hearing - from about 20 to 20,000 hertz or cycles per second. Acoustic investigations have concentrated on low - frequency sounds between 33 and 80 hertz, but have failed to pinpoint the source of the strange sound. The sound has been described as low, grinding and pulsating, like a diesal truck idling in the distance. Explanations are as varied as the people who claim to hear the noise. Everything from a form of mild, contagious mass hallucination to possible secret electromagnetic warfare experiments being conducted at one of the high tech laboratories in the area are discussed as possible sources.

Yet Taos is not unique. Similar reports have been made in Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, Canada and many places in the United States, most recently in Indiana. Troubled hummers in England have even formed an organisation, the Low Frequency Noise Sufferers Association. The only certainty when dealing with the hum, is that some people hear it, while others do not. That is not to say that the noise isnt real, perhaps some peoples sense of hearing is more suseptible to the noise than others.

There are numerous articles on this phenonomon. Punch up "Taos Hum" on your search engine.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I remember an investigation by the city council of the town where i live several years ago. In one area of town people were hearing a low humming noise. Researchers found this noise back on their measurment equipment but were not able to find the source of it. In the end of the day they decided to let it be and had an audiologist give hints and tips to people to reduce the problems that come with constantly dealing with noise.

For those of you being able to read dutch, link to article www.ad.nl...

[edit on 11/5/09 by ambushrocks]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Hi,

If interested in hearing the Hum - Tracer posted a link in another thread about the Taos Hum

www.youtube.com...

Peace!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Supposedly, there are many reports of strange sounds being associated with crop circles. I, personally, found this subject to be kind of difficult to research due to the high "woo-woo" factor of a lot of crop circle researchers, but here's a little bit of info:
Operation White Crow

One of the best documented examples of sound in relation to crop circles was reported by Colin Andrews and consisted of a number of short bursts of oscillating tones (or 'trilling' noises) recorded on audio tape. This was recorded during what was known as Operation White Crow, which took place in Hampshire during the summer of 1989.
source
From what I read, Colin Andrews recorded sound emitting from a crop circle in Cheesehead Foot, Hampshire during an investigation, which was dubbed "Operation White Crow".

Suddenly, we all heard a sound from the east. As we listened, it grew louder and we could sense it getting closer. It was definitely directional, in that we could all tell precisely where it was coming from, and we could follow it as it moved. The sound then rotated around us, floating around the circle three or four times, like an auditory cloud that passed above us in a circle. And again, it was directional: As it moved in its orbit around us, we could follow it with our ears, and if it had been visible, we all felt we would have been able to track it from point to point around the circle. First it was in our left ear, then behind us, then in our right ear.

The source page has sound analyis info and such. Some folks said the sound was just a grasshopper warbler, though the source seems to think differently. If you can get the sound files to download for you (I couldn't ), you can decide for yourself.

Mayville, Wisconsin Circle
Sound was recorded at a Wisconsin crop circle, too.

Mayville Circle Produced Sound

Brad and I both noticed an unusual sound coming from within and around the crop circles. It sounded similar to crackling.
I put together a wav of this sound.
First is the original recording.
Now I slowed the recording down and notice it sounds like the pounding of a heart.
Should we maybe be also then concentrating on recording the noises coming from within the circle for coded messages?
original sound
sound slowed down
We found out later that ,since the early 1980's, sounds have been recorded in many of the Crop Circles . The frequency, generally is around 4 to 5 Hz. Noises have been recorded in both ultra and the infra sound part of the spectrum, varying from formation to formation, producing different musical notes.

source

So there we have it. Sounds reportedly emitting from crop circles. I don't know what to think of these reports. I mean, there's the recordings, but I don't know for certain that they were actually recorded at/produced by crop circles. I have trouble just accepting them on the credibility of the researchers because, well, the more you look into crop circles and those who research them, the more there seems to be tenuous "connections" to every kind of new-age sillyness you can think of.

As an example, recently The Paracast did an interview with Ed and Kris Sherwood, crop circle researchers. (You can listen/ dowload the episode here). They touch on the sound thing during the interview, but the beliefs held by Ed & Kris are, to most critical thinkers, pretty tough to buy into, which to me makes it hard to accept a lot of what they say. I won't get into all their beliefs here, as it would rapidly go off topic, but if you listen to the interview and/or peruse their site for a bit, you should see what I mean.

So maybe crop circles are making odd noises. I don't know, as I've never stood in a crop circle to listen for them, but I thought it would be a nice addition to your Unidentified Sounds thread.

edit:typo

[edit on 11-5-2009 by subject x]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I've found something interesting actually... you guys might want to check this out - it's pretty awesome. I especially like the "Julia" and "train" sounds ... very weird.

NOAA - unknown sounds

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I actually here rumbles a lot in my town. Not airplane rumbles or thunder like sounds. It sounds like a constant stream of explosions in the far distance. It's scared me quite a bit the first time and considered dialing the police but thought otherwise because I couldn't distinguish where it was coming from.

new topics

top topics

join