It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin court upholds GPS tracking by police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Wisconsin court upholds GPS tracking by police

www.chicagotribune.com

As the law currently stands, the court said police can mount GPS on cars to track people without violating their constitutional rights -- even if the drivers aren't suspects.

Officers do not need to get warrants beforehand because GPS tracking does not involve a search or a seizure, Judge Paul Lundsten wrote for the unanimous three-judge panel based in Madison.

That means "police are seemingly free to secretly track anyone's public movements with a GPS device," he wrote.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ATS: Judge Rules Police Don't Need Warrant to Attach GPS Tracker to Car

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This article speaks for itself. The slope is getting slipperier everyday.

The government continues to push us closer and closer towards a surveillance society, all under the guise of protecting us from dangers which may be real, imagined, or manufactured.

The reality of the situation is that the government itself is the real danger that we need protection from.

www.chicagotribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Has anyone ever brought up the fact that they want to film you in your home, and they like filming little kiddies taking baths, ffing perves.

The police go so much further than just gps your acr, this is just for the news.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Earlier I really did think we in the USA would not go down the path as the UK are already in. Maybe just maybe, they were the (test run) for us in the united states. My only logical answer is , track us all they want, and as long as there are no crooked cops, than our actions will remain innocent.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

You do not understand they can absolutely destroy anyone with these things,a s they have the tech to know absolutely everything in yours nd your family lifes, and they can totally ruin your lif e for nothing.

Yep i think each country seems to have different parts to this nwo stuff, and when will it all be joined together that is the question.

The uk is a nightmare place to be, if you are one they want to destroy.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I agree that the UK is probably a testing ground for the future surveillance society which the USA seems fast on the path to becoming. And, like andy said, it will only be a matter of time before all these now-separate surveillance societies combine their resources to form a world-wide nanny state. At that point there won't be many places to hide, or even maintain a modicum of privacy and self-determination.

Originally posted by wiredamerican:
My only logical answer is , track us all they want, and as long as there are no crooked cops, than our actions will remain innocent.

This is like the "don't do anything wrong and you won't have any problems" mentality. I feel this type of attitude is dangerously misguided.

There are always crooked cops, and there is always the potential for abuse when you have people in positions of authority, without fail. What good could possibly come from having the government track the every move of innocent citizens? It's totally unacceptable.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is an absolutely disgusting invasion of privacy!

Police should only be able to track citizens under house arrest or violent criminals who are being detained. Why do they need the right to track innocents? Why was this a unanimous decision?

All this will do is increase the scope of the police state. Pretty soon they will start tracking all vehicles, and monitoring people's driving habits. Then, when you decide to go camping out in the woods, or take a scenic detour, Johnny Law can pull up and ask you why you're out of your way. Then he can search you on "suspicion" because you weren't out on your normal routine.

It's only a matter of time until we have to register our travels in advance, just to make sure we're not up to no good.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

Was your post tongue in cheek? It seems that you're banking on there not being crooked crops while at the same time having no way to find out if there are besides being told there aren't and believing it.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
www.edmontonjournal.com...

From what i understand, the idea of a cop ratting out a cop is "amusing". It seems that if cops wont rat out cops there's some magical entity that swwops in and makes sure they're honest.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
this is terrible and disgusts me

things just seem to be going farther and farther worse for us

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Wow, I live in Madison, WI and I'm appalled! This is madness. I'm getting on the phone with my state representative right now.

top topics

join