It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU wants 'Internet G12' to Govern Cyberspace

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Daniel Hannan speaks in the European Parliament about this:

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AR154
Daniel Hannan speaks in the European Parliament about this:

www.youtube.com...

Thanks for posting that here!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Youre right. I started a thread on the Patriot act a while back. It's my understanding that if nothing is done it will expire in December 2009.

I have a nasty feeling they will somehow get it extended or add amendments to the exisiting act.

It's obvious to see our Freedom's slipping away one by one.

Think how fast technology has sped along. In the 80's we didnt have many home computers. They were for State and Government use.

Microsoft and Windows and Apple got to big to handle. Now I'm assuming they want it to go back to government only again for control.

This issue with the hacker holding our digital medical records hostage for 10 grand is insane. People like this make it hard on all of us. I heard the Pentagon gets about 20 hacks a day. I wonder if they will use scenario's like this to make their case?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I think if the internet is shut down, even over most of the world, (or restricted severely), there will still be some piratical rogue area where it is not shut down.
That piratical rogue area will then enjoy a competitive advantage, not only from the direct advantageous effects of internet freedom but also because people will flock to be under that regime due to their interest in other less-directly-beneficial internet freedom applications.
It would be like how a command Soviet-style planned central economy can't do the majority of things as well as (I know, never completely "free") a free market.
So tying down the internet is a self-defeating strategy, like suicide bombing, and could only really succeed if it is implemented simultaneously worldwide by force. (Or could it be incrementally forced onto isolated enclaves by sanctions etc.? I don't feel that would always work, but I sure couldn't prove that assertion).
I don't think the areas where it could be enforced easily are really ready to pile on the added competitive disadvantage, and I don't see the forces or the political will for the worldwide BIG SMASHDOWN in the next little few months or crises...But I know nothing, like always...

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

They won't shut it down they will do what they do with everything else control it.
There will still be hackers, and the Federal Cyber Cops will be hot on their trail.
You will still be able to check you bank account, and do the other things you would do.
But they will be watching you say or do the wrong thing you will get a warning, do it again or do something really bad they will be knocking on your door.
It will just be Big Brother watching to make sure you are being taken proper care of, well they do own you, they have to look after their stuff.

And IBM has been around long time doing inventory and payroll back in 70s maybe before that? Mainframe, Keypunch.

Sorry I made a mistake that will be the, NWO Cyber Cops, must keep up with the times.

[edit on 8-5-2009 by googolplex]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Information gatekeepers? Has it really come to this? The potential for abuse is truly scary. This is it, no way of getting news anymore, no way of people filming abuses by police and posting it online, no longer will we have the option to audit the actions of politicians and share anything we find with millions of people at the touch of a button. All of you just shut up and believe everything on the major news networks, even spin machines like FOX news. They are now your eyes and ears, enjoy.

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

Hummm...as you said, I agree, it will take them longer to implement thier plan. I truely hope your are right about the rougue areas. Another poster mentioned that also. Though I think eventually they could trace back to them, find the servers etc. Then these types of activites will be criminal.

reply to post by googolplex

Somehow I imagine that they will use preset filters, and gather all information on huge computers like the one that is called "The Beast"
In Europe. As you said, they see us as thier property!

reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Yes "gatekeepers" truely a frightening thought! They decide what we see, what is published. If you ask me it sounds like something right out of 1894! As you said, the end of protesters filming the police and posting on the internet!

[edit on 9-5-2009 by burntheships]

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

You bring up the subject of hackers, and how the government will use this to make thier case. I believe they will. They are already monitering much activity on the Net. Evidence of this violation of our privacy can be found by digging a llittle. While these types of articles dont ever surface mainstream media, they are there.

Spy chiefs are already spending hundreds of millions of pounds on a mass internet surveillance system, despite Jacqui Smith's announcement earlier this week that proposals for a central warehouse of communications data had been dumped on privacy grounds.

The system - uncovered today by The Register and The Sunday Times - is being installed under a GCHQ project called Mastering the Internet (MTI). It will include thousands of deep packet inspection probes inside communications providers' networks, as well as massive computing power at the intelligence agency's Cheltenham base,[b/]

www.timesonline.co.uk...

www.theregister.co.uk...

www.computerweekly.com...

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I'm a little scared today. After typing in 'CIPTA treaty and the marking of bullets" Google locked me out. Error code 403 says.

“The Web site deliberately does not want you to browse directories” It also says “the 403 error is equivalent to a blanket 'NO' by your Web server - with no further discussion allowed”

I also recently seen that all my ATS posts were located on Google's search engine.

Am I just being a bit paranoid?

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Wow that is scary. I will have to check into that! Error 403, is that germain to google or your web server? And another thing...who would your webserver be, which IP provider do you have. I think all those things add up. Hummm. u2u!

posted on May, 9 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Google has a little bot that runs around grabbings copies of web pages and storing them, that part is completely normal and you shouldn't worry. As for the 403 error, there can be a multitude of reasons for that, one of the most common being you tried to browse a websites directory. Most sites don't allow you to do that because it's a security hole and a little dangerous to allow. So don't panic just yet

I am seriously worried about the term "gatekeeper". That really does sound like something out of a bad 1980's apocolapse movie. Or as someone here just said, 1984. In that book Winston sat at his desk editing things before they went into the hands of the "proles". Isn't that exactly what a gatekeeper would do?

What right does a government have to control information, to tell people what is and isn't true? Surely that is part of freedom and even good science, listen to all the evidence and make up your mind! Being denied sources of material in the past would have meant that scandals like Watergate would never have come to light.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Yes that is it...the Prole's! The government does not have the right! They are supposed to be servants, not masters. And yes...just like in 1984...they want to "edit" everything..."keep" anything that could be dangerous!

Of course...this is in the beginning stages, but this October 2009, the agreement expires, and something will be put in it's place. Maybe if enough of us would call and e-mail, and fight this we could stave it off!
?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Found this interesting pdf file on Designing effective regulation for
the "Dark side" of the Web
WebSci'09: Society On-Line, Athens
Wolf Richter & Ian Brown
University of Oxford :: Oxford Internet Institute
19/03/2009

journal.webscience.org...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I would rather the United States of America go to WAR than have the EU or ANYBODY take control of the United States Of Americas Control of the internet domains.

Do you want 90 percent of domains to be blocked?

Do you want critical blogs to be out lawed?

Do you want to be told what sites you can make or not?

Do something about it now or it may be too late next week.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This link explains the issues at hand:

techzoom.net/publications/insecurity-iceberg

Also follow this bug here which is where I got the link above. Note that many experts still use and promote Windows 2000 which BOTH M$ and Apple have ditched:

Firefox Bug 430826 - Consider blocklisting (blacklisting) QuickTime plug-in version 7.1.*

...so for example, Quicktime is insecure, so QT version 7.1 is blocked by Firefox on WinXP --which is wise for Firefox to do, since it is both M$ and Apple who are conspiring toward dumbness perhaps?

The EU doesn't need to do anything, except deal with its own house. I am glad Ireland is one of the more cantankerous members, as it should be. Perhaps if the EU could talk some gangsters into buying stock in M$ and Apple? These gangsters could then force useless managers at both companies to comply with good security standards as Firefox is trying to do?

This could all be settled with the currency power-structure of the world, circa 2009. I'd say M$ and Apple need to be controlled by their stockholders but how could that ever happen? And also, the stockholders are slaves to the product of the corps so how shall they tell the dialectic powers of Apple and M$ what to do?

Maybe one giant brawl between both corporate boards, UFC style, on pay-per-view? Microsoft's board vs. Apple's board, brass knuckles, steel chair --maybe even a cage match! I'd buy that for a dollar!

But when the dust clears, I'd say the Firefox crew would be well poised to discuss what to do with what's left. They are focused on the Internet, whereas Apple and M$ have huge, incomprehensibly powerful socio-power-structures to support and cater to. The point is, we do not need to re-engineer this wheel when it is rolling quite well --if backward at times.

Anyway, I agree with many of the experts in the discussion linked above: Windows 2000 is a great OS.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I am going to follow this story as it develops and will continue posting here on this thread...

Jacqui Smith's secret plan to carry on snooping
The home secretary has vowed to scrap a ‘big brother’ database, but a bid to spy on us all continues...

SPY chiefs are pressing ahead with secret plans to monitor all internet use and telephone calls in Britain despite an announcement by Jacqui Smith, the home secretary, of a ministerial climbdown over public surveillance.

GCHQ, the government’s eavesdropping centre, is developing classified technology to intercept and monitor all e-mails, website visits and social networking sessions in Britain. The agency will also be able to track telephone calls made over the internet, as well as all phone calls to land lines and mobiles.

The £1 billion snooping project — called Mastering the Internet (MTI) — will rely on thousands of “black box” probes being covertly inserted across online infrastructure.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

They cannot stop emails can they.

Oh yes they can they're the government they can intercept your email,they can switch off your computer(using a tracking chip),they can send the police state to your door and they can kill you...All because you didn't obey their ruling.

Article about tracking#1
LINK#2
LINK#3

Heck they're even tracking vehicles now:
Vehicle Tracking Device
edit on 30-5-2011 by Revelation11 because: Grammar.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I suppose we can all kiss the free internet goodbye, and say hello to USIdent. Anyone who has ever seen the movie Southland Tales knows exactly what I'm talking about. This is the final stretch for rights from our government imo. They'll lock up the net with their cyberwatch company, working to weed out any websites that disagree with their agenda. Any persistance to fight the machine will be put down with an extreme prejudice.

The next thing you know, police will either all become federally owned and operated or will be privatized for paying customers only. A combination of a USIdent type structure along side a police state means no freedoms to do anything without someone knowing about it. They'll have cctv everywhere, listening and watching to every move made by every citizen.

If you think that unneeded surveillance is a problem now between things like illegal wiretaps and TSA agents groping you at every flight, you haven't seen anything yet. It is already getting as bad as other citizens wanting to be watchdogs for the government. Just yesterday I had someone call me a cyber terrorist because I was telling someone else about HAARP. Things are bad, and they're only getting worse, how much is enough?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join