It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Named and shamed: the 16 barred from UK

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Named and shamed: the 16 barred from UK

www.independent.co.uk

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said she decided to make public the names of 16 people banned since October so others could better understand what sort of behaviour Britain was not prepared to tolerate.

The list includes hate preachers, anti-gay protesters and a far- right US talk show host.

"I think it's important that people understand the sorts of values and sorts of standards that we have here, the fact that it's a privilege to come and the sort of things that mean you won't be welcome..."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I can understand being barred from entering a country because you have felonies and things of that sort, but people being banned from entering a country because of there views on things is a bit extreme, in my opinion anyway.

My fear is that this is just the first step in the governement(s) controlling us, and telling us, what we can think, say, and how we can act. Some may view the UK's banning of some people as a good thing, mainly because they don't agree with them, but it truly is not.

No matter how out there or ridiculous a person's view on something is, we should stand up and defend someone else's right to free speech or else, when it becomes the time for our personal view to be outlawed, there may be no one left to be on our side and defend us when we want to say how we feel.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I think every country has a right to ban certain people if they wish especially if they have a valid reason. I wonder why the UK does not ban a couple of those hate spewing clerics. If they look hard enough they will find a few from each mainline of Abrahamic tradition. Hate is out.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
So they ban people like that do they, no they destroy anyone they want. You do not have to do anything for looney uk authorities to to put you on these sorts of things.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Lol, I've retyped what I wanted to say 5 times so far. I guess I have no idea how to respond. This just stinks of censorship to me. I understand the criminals and all but talking?

As far as your comment on it being the first step to government control, I think you're FAR past that step!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroid

I think every country has a right to ban certain people if they wish especially if they have a valid reason.

The government could make "they smell funny" or "they have curly hair" a valid reason.

I wonder why the UK does not ban a couple of those hate spewing clerics.

Probably because of PC.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Bah, UK can ban whoever it wants. We don't want your crazy right wing gun toting preachers thanks, we have enough problems in our liberal democracy, without all the crazies from other countries coming and making it even worse.

As the Daily Star said one time when Snoop Dogg tried to get in:

Kick this evil bastard out!

Just think of your country as like an extension of your house. You can tell people to leave anytime you want if you hold the keys.

PS, I love that Savage is barred. Does anyone remember the show were he said he would pay for the bullets if someone killed Mark Dice? Yeah, that's right, he really is the kind of nutjob we don't want.

[edit on 5/5/2009 by RubberBaron]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Honestly, is anyone supposed to think this is of any significance whatsoever? It wouldn't just be typical Labour PR attempted spin now would it?

Not so long ago we had 12 people arrested in very public terror raids just as the Met G20 story was breaking, subsequently released without charge, more of the same. We never did hear much more of that, unless I missed it all.

Well, we should all be pleased that we've banned two Russian skinheads who are locked up already, and a talk radio show host, shouldn't we.

Pardon my cynicism.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Frankly, I want them in just because its Jacqui "1984" Smith that wants them out.

Anything that woman says, does or even breathes on corrodes and decays and evermore carries the irrevocable taint of evil.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
^ what he said.

The police are pretty much a tool of the Govt these days. That's not how it's supposed to be, is it?!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I'm very cautious about this. The emotive response that of course certain people, such as those listed, should be excluded is the one they banked on from people and exactly why they listed the individuals they chose to exclude. But this is merely a first step that goes way beyond these kind of individuals and allows them to ban anyone who is protesting nwo, or thinks that conspiracies exist.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
Frankly, I want them in just because its Jacqui "1984" Smith that wants them out.

Anything that woman says, does or even breathes on corrodes and decays and evermore carries the irrevocable taint of evil.

She is very crazy, and I hate her too, but for once, I think that banning these people from entering our country is good. The only one I know about well, is Savage, and he was clearly calling for the murder of Dice, that's a fair reason to ban someone IMO.

I did disagree when Geert Wilders was barred, that did seem very political, and he hadn't ever called for violence.

If you weren't born in the UK you have no special right to access to my country, just like if you weren't born in my house, you have no special right to access that either.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
If they are banning the scum and criminals from entering, how will they ever hold a G20 summit again, or G8, or GATT.......

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by RubberBaron
She is very crazy, and I hate her too, but for once, I think that banning these people from entering our country is good. The only one I know about well, is Savage, and he was clearly calling for the murder of Dice, that's a fair reason to ban someone IMO.

I did disagree when Geert Wilders was barred, that did seem very political, and he hadn't ever called for violence.

If you weren't born in the UK you have no special right to access to my country, just like if you weren't born in my house, you have no special right to access that either.

I too agree with you, but I don't want Labour dictating who can and can't enter this country.

I wanted Geert Wilders in, I want to hear what he has to say because I think it has to be said, and so to have the PC Nazis dictate that he is not allowed, because somehow Hook-hand McGee and his Islamic Jihadist Cronies have a greater right to free speech and access to this once-great country than a very polite Dutchman, is abhorrent to me.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
She said:

"If people have so clearly overstepped the mark in terms of the way not just that they are talking but the sort of attitudes that they are expressing to the extent that we think that this is likely to cause or have the potential to cause violence or inter-community tension in this country, then actually I think the right thing is not to let them into the country in the first place. Not to open the stable door then try to close it later," Ms Smith said.

The next step is to close the UK off from the internet. It reaches a whole lot more people... I'm tellin' ya... it's gonna get worse....

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It wasn't so long ago that Sinn Fein members would have been prime candidates for this list. Now they're seen as legitimate politicians.

What's next? Allow convicted soccer hooligans / right wing undesirables to leave the UK on holiday or suchlike, then not let them back in?!

Edit to say - did she really make reference to shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted?! After all Labour have done?!

[edit on 5-5-2009 by baughany]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Or Well, That's How It Goes

Thank goodness the Ministry of Truth is so heroically protecting the mental hygiene of the proles from dangerous ideas.

Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime is death.

Less thoughtcrime is doubleplusgood!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Awesome, with bonus points for "doubleplusgood"!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Reading this article and the people on here saying that it is a good thing is making me physically sick to the stomach. Literally.
WTF is going on. Please someone give me a valid and logical explanation. This isn't just censorship this is just downright wrong. How in hells name can they allow suspected terrorists into the country and extremist Islamic preachers that call for the downfall of the western world. How the f*@\ do they rationalise funding the luxuriant lifestyle of preachers who have no job, dozens of children and claim that the 9/11 and 7/7 bombings were noble acts. There are scum that turn up at the funeral processions for fallen soldiers and jeer who are allowed to stay but people who are only exercising their right to freedom of speech and not acting upon it not allowed in. This is hypocrisy, being two-faced, double standards, and much more! AAGH I am going to go now before I lose control and start screaming at everything around me. Once again they have gone far too far.

-Cauch1

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Wow, the UK really is under total control and the thought police are hard at work.

I wonder when they will work their way around to restricting Internet access along the same lines as China.

They really don't have any trust of their population do they. What a totally crushed nation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join