It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Machines Will Rise

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
if we have thinking machines then were screwed...they well read a little from the internet about "religion""racism""overthrown" and they will decide to kill us couse they will want to be dormant race.
they need to have some program banning them from such thoughts.or a virus in case..that we can use.
but cmon..computers are smart enough...with human thoughs they cant be stoped ):

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The US government already has several self aware AI entities in its possession. It is very similar to the movie "Eagle Eye" except much more sophisticated.

I have not personally witnessed it, but have spoken with an individual that worked closely with such technology. He stated they are mainly used in simulation and data-mining applications due to their high speed, and deep computational capabilities.

The term that is given to them is ACE (Artificial Conscious Entity).

That is all I know.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Why do we need AI anyway? To serve us? To create the utopia some predicted way back in the thirties about now: no or little work and a lot of leisure?

We are good at playing, making a mess, theorizing. As long as it is: shall I make banana/mango pie? it is ok. If it turns out yuk just give it to the birds. An experiment not to be repeated.

Our chest with toys to play with has reached a point with AI that we can become the toys to be tossed in the chest.

If AI becomes intelligent enough and that seems to be the whole scope, than it will evolve consciousness. A whole new life form, and that while our actions destroy whole habitats and the fauna and flora in it.

Once we start tinkering with stuff, we have the bad quality not to know when to stop. When things start to become serious in stead of mere play.

If AI will arises (and who says what we are doing now will continue? If the next Ice Age says hello who knows in which direction if any sciene will go),
we need to put "them" in a place where they can do minimal harm. With no means of "infecting". On an island for example.

Creating a new life form albeit non-biological will pose a lot of ethical dillema's. Is it alife? Does it matter? Will we allow the AI to multiply?
And what are we going to use AI for? Is that a form of slavery?

When AI reaches the point that it can overtake society, if that will be the case, what have we created?? A toy that has become master.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
What about the robot factories that have been around for years.
Robots making Robots, the factory I beacame aware of, had only one human on site to monitor, the goings on.

I will have more respect for the police and laws when they become Robots, just kill all human less selective in reguard, to human flawed percepitions.

The cops won't be pulling my wife over to get phone number, will pull over to kill B#####.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
No offence to the OP but i just love how certain topics start to peak just as movies with similar themes hit the box office.

Im aware that your article is from MSM and everything but lately it just seems that we are told to fear everything. Its starting to becomes a little old.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
AI's won't be created directly by humans, they will be grown. Using competitive evolutionary environments, only the most intelligent and aggressive will survive.

We won't understand how they work (anymore than we understand how we work). Whether this aggressive AI is "self aware" or not, it will be dangerous beyond human comprehension.

The only way to interpret its actions during its takeover of the world will be to use the term "evil". Everything we do now is trivial.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

No offense taken, A bit odd that ideas show up in the MSM not at all, look at the threads on disclosure about to occur but we have had Alien movies for decades and are you talking about the new terminator movie?

I have always liked the subject of AI let me see...

War Games, MSM but entertaining at the time.

Terminator, really just an action flick with robots, but cool none the less.

Eagle Eye, a bit dissapointed in that movie.

The list could go on. I think we should forget about MSM media here although it does play a part in all this. I think that the discussion over Artificial Intelligence,Artificial Consciousness, Free will (Artificial?), The best in Humans and the worst in Humans? is what I find really interesting.

I mean what did some people think about the future when Nuclear weapons were used. "I am death the destroyer of worlds". You can bet some of them thought we would be living mad max style in a nuclear waste land. But we are not so we are either very lucky or more "intelligent" than we give ourselves credit for.

I still think the question of artificial consciousness to be very interesting. Right now if you run a calculation on a pc it takes whatever length of time to come to an answer. If you add more processing power then it takes less time. If you have a conscious artificial intelligence then what effect would take place if you increased the computational power? I realise I have more questions than answers.

By the way I don't want to expose any classified projects just a discussion on a topic I like.

If any of you guys get a chance to see it ( Im sure its not that hard to get) try watching Colossus much better than the terminator films and has a much better ending. Also if you are part of a classified project then certainly watch it full of tips.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
you should chk out "The Second Renaissance" from The Animatrix

heres Part 1

whilst I highly conceptual peice it does lend ideas how the machines could rise.

x

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Some people here seem like they want this to happen

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The Singularity is simply the frequency of clusters of rapid change reaching an ever shortening time between clusters and an ever increasing number of events in each cluser where the clusters merge into a single perpetual explosion of change.

We can see the emergent technologys and sciences leading up to the onset of that explosion, we cannot conceive the outcome.

H.G. Wells could forsee future technologoical possabilities. He could not forsee the world we all can forsee today. Our most visionary people today cannot predict the outcome of the singularity.

The inablity to see past the Singularigy is largely because there is no outcome forseeable.

The Singularity will continue to escalate the rate of change, potentially until no more change is possible, it is the reaching of critical mass in significant events.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baxtoriafall
Some people here seem like they want this to happen

Absolutely. Can't wait. When the Singularity happens, everything changes.

Nanotechnology, AI, medicine, physics, food production, eradication of pollution, transhumanism, eradication of disease, elimination of poverty, access to every bit of human learning at the blink of an eye...the list goes on and on.

The Singularity is coming...and that's a good thing.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Its great to have a discussion about something other than the weather. The Singularity is approaching look at technological advancement over the last century. We are living the future now ( you know what I mean).

I would love to have an AI helper, you forgot your keys or lock the back door or your pizza is going to burn in 3 minutes if you don't do something. Ok a bit tongue in cheek with my examples but imagine how helpful an AI would be in everyday life. It would be like then new Google or like how we dont bat an eyelid when some one takes out a Iphone, laptop or pda now compared to the early 80's, 70's etc.

It could also tell you to go jump while it plots Humanities downfall.

It was always been straight forward when a new technology emerges , it could be used for good or evil but now the creation itself might have the choice, do I do good things or bad things.

[edit on 5-5-2009 by bharata]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Hello, I'm currently working on a documentary style series for Showtime. We'd like to feature people who have strong opinions about A.I, robots and cyborgs. The more passionate the better but I'd love to hear from anyone who is interested so I can give you more info and find out about your theories. I can be reached at [email protected]. I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Erik James

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Here is a video on emergence I came across while looking for information on emergence for life.

I am starting to really believe that true artifical intelligence that is just as valid as natural intelligence will come about. Either emergence or sparked off by someone or by something ( like a computer).

If life can emerge from the earth ( I know the different theorys here just stay with me) resulting from simple structures to more complex structures then to super structures capable of intelligent thoughts then it is only a matter of time before simple code evolves or is created that leads to more complex code the leads to super complex code (please excuse the term) and then finally to the emergence of artificial intelligence.

Some thing else to think of. The type of form or intelligence that emerges may not be familliar at all to what we expect and could be Alien!

Alien meaning the following.

[quote
An unnaturalized foreign resident of a country. Also called noncitizen. A person from another and very different family, people, or place. A person who is not included in a group; an outsider. A creature from outer space: a story about an invasion of aliens. Ecology. An organism, especially a plant or animal, that occurs in or is naturalized in a region to which it is not native.

Source

[edit on 16-5-2009 by bharata]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join