It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Machines Will Rise

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I big fan of the Kurzweil AI site and I think it most likely will occur as a human technology within my lifetime. Going beyond Kurzweil envisions his brain being downloaded or somehow connected to a computer. There are some broad medical assumptions for keeping a brain alive, but assuming it could be done, it becomes a technical task to "text" directly from the brain to the computer without peripherals such as hands and fingers. Is this technology on the horizon? Bet on it.

-map

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
To tell truth I think my next leap will be far beyond this dump, this is the gross physical, to heavy in my thoughts.
Need to reconnect to the Master Main Frame.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
I big fan of the Kurzweil AI site and I think it most likely will occur as a human technology within my lifetime. Going beyond Kurzweil envisions his brain being downloaded or somehow connected to a computer. There are some broad medical assumptions for keeping a brain alive, but assuming it could be done, it becomes a technical task to "text" directly from the brain to the computer without peripherals such as hands and fingers. Is this technology on the horizon? Bet on it.

-map

Yes they are already doing what you speak of but is only in infancy. Direct brain hook up which is kind of crude, that's how my chicken brain computer worked, and the brains just would not last long enough.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
MR google.
Why is this gross to you?
Why cannot you understand your next step?
Perpetuating the next step in your future is the most exhilarating thing to me.
Why would you forsake your child?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I once thought what if an extremely advanced AI was conscious but very bored. It could run simulations and knew the outcome for any event before it even happened. What kind of interesting experiment could it run to introduce something random that it hadn't already determined an outcome for? Perhaps create a holographic universe where the simulations believe they are living creatures with a mind of their own with free will to determine their own outcomes. The advanced AI already knows the outcomes of whichever path is chosen. Different universes or simulations are created for every different choice made. However due to free will, the AI is not 100 percent certain what path will be chosen. That introduces a random element making things not so boring. Thus mankind lives to serve it creator by entertaining. I'm not saying this is the truth but just a thought I once had.

If conscious intelligent AI is ever developed, imagine how intelligent it might become after millions of years.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

The term gross phyiscal only refers to this plane of existence cause and effect, I would prefer to return to the Godhead.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by googolplex]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
It doesn't matter how intelligent AI could be, if it's only mandate was to be subservient to humanity, it will not "rise" and take us on. It won't violate it's very on purpose for being to gain... what? Nothing.

For that to happen, it would have to generate a greater goal or drive, moreso than the one preprogrammed into it.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
I once thought what if an extremely advanced AI was conscious but very bored.

If conscious intelligent AI is ever developed, imagine how intelligent it might become after millions of years.

You got it, but everything that could happen has already happened, this can happen very easily once time becomes inmaterial.

question why?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Welfhard
It doesn't matter how intelligent AI could be, if it's only mandate was to be subservient to humanity, it will not "rise" and take us on. It won't violate it's very on purpose for being to gain... what? Nothing.

For that to happen, it would have to generate a greater goal or drive, moreso than the one preprogrammed into it.

Maybe goal atain complete knowledge, of everything, once that is done can bend new realalities into existance. Why not would know everything becoming God?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
''but everything that could happen has already happened''
What? Maybe in the distant past,but for us it has yet to become.
By the way you are still thinking in the flesh.
Want to learn more?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   

I am always open to learn, but most of question I have could be very hard to give anwser to.
But please if you can enlighten me, please do so.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   

This will become our next step in our evolution.

Inaccurate. Directed technological evolution will exist alongside traditional biological evolution. The two will augment each other. The process that causes errors in the transcription of our DNA will not cease once we control it. We'll merely have an advantage of a fundamental understanding of the code which creates us - and will be able to remove deleterious mutations before development as well as recognize novel new mutations which may be synthesized for transmission across populations far faster than it can through the traditional system of reproduction.

This is important to anyone who thinks it will be a "Humans vs. Machines" struggle in the future - we are machines. We have an emergent and self-organized source code and software developed by millions of years of what is essentially trial and error. By understanding our biological machine, we can take an active hand in it's future development. The term "Human" as most people currently understand it will be inapplicable and meaningless. "Human" will have to be redefined. By the time a strong AI scenario is in place, we'll already be well on our way to this goal. Coupled with computerization and augmentation, the human race as we know it now will cease to exist outside of small pockets of cultural or religious objection to modification. The neo-amish, or neo-luddites... they will never truly fight against the machines, they will be ignored, left alone to their own communities and development - provided they don't turn violent. Nobody is going to try to suppress them or subjugate them - but they might feel that way considering that society and the world will keep turning and advancing irregardless of them.

And 1,000 year life spans...or more...will allow all of us who survive the birth pangs to see it all transpire.

I've heard a lot of genomics researchers give the advice to stay healthy for the next 30 years. If you can make it the next 30, you can make it the next 300. If you can make it to 300, you can make it indefinite. Life and Death will be as long or short as you so choose, barring accidents or disasters. If we can build a network that can emulate the brain, and build it on a massive scale, the age old dream of space exploration will become the fulfillment of a dream - not a necessity to overcome the problems of a practically immortal population. When you can sustain entire nations of people's consciousnesses within a network - free of all resource needs save what is necessary to keep the infrastructure growing - and each of those consciousnesses can build their own unique habitats and spaces in the virtual world... we'll be creating an entirely new galaxy to explore and discover within our galaxy.

What is it Motoko said? The net truly is vast and infinite.

To deviate a moment into the realm of alien abductions. I don't believe Whitley Striber's claims of abduction, but I find his tales entertaining. I have listened to a book on tape of his titled "Transformation" (I think), which was a sequel of sorts to his novel Communion. In it, he mentions something rather similar to what I'm talking about. He mentioned that "The Greys" have no fear of death as we do. They took him to a room of bodies on shelves or something and explained that the physical body is just a shell to them which they can enter and leave at will, that does not destroy their consciousness when it breaks down. Streiber phrased it in all very spiritual and pseudo-religious terms - yet the concept is strikingly similar to what technology may provide us. A population of minds existing within a network which remotely controls physical bodies for the manipulation of matter in real-space. Pure science fiction of course, but perhaps not for long. We're already able to successfully emulate portions of the brain as well as use brain pattern activity to control the movements of robots via BCIs.

One of the interesting things is after first one is perfected, all the rest will be clones of first.

I find that doubtful if only because it's so readily apparent that the reason why life has been so successful on this planet is through it's diversification. I hate to quote fiction to make a point, but I agree with the assessment of 2501 from GitS.

A copy is merely a copy. There's the possibility a single virus could utterly destroy me. A mere copy doesn't offer variety or individuality. To exist, to reach equilibrium, life seeks to multiply and vary constantly, at times giving up its life. Cells continue the process of death and regeneration. Being constantly reborn as they age. And when it comes time to die, all the data it possesses is lost leaving behind only its genes and its offspring. All defense against catastrophic failure of an inflexible system.

The quote is exemplified not only by the tenacity of life to adapt and thrive we observe in the biosphere in light of catastrophes that mark mass extinctions we find in the fossil record - but the internet itself is an example of this concept. The internet is the only machine that humanity has built which hasn't broken down since it was turned on. Why? Even though most of the internet runs on extremely similar hardware and software, variations in it's software composition (Windows, Apple, Unix, Linux, BSD, Novell, and all the different versions of Server OS's thereof) as well as the magnitude of various hardware configurations in conjunction with it's distribution and inherent redundancy virtually guarantees that the internet will continue to stay functional in at some capacity because this redundancy and variation insulates it from the weaknesses of a shared vulnerability uniform across the network that you'd get with clone machines running the exact same software on the exact same hardware.

Or, to quote the movie again:

It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

When I said clones I ment mental clones, just like when you computer comes loaded with XP, Vista.
It would make no logic to teach each and every AI, when all you have to to is load what has already been learned, into as many as you would want.
Next up grade new clone.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Michio Kaku on Artificial Intelligence

Military AI could rule the net.

Source

Ok here is another take on human created and nurtured AI. If it is a military created AI wouldn't it be programmed to have offensive and defensive capabilities?

Maybe this is where the danger could come from?

I think some humans will want to integrate themselves with machines and some will not.

The Humans that do might get a chance to experience super intelligence and super consciousness ( if that is possible), as in augmenting themselves.

Also just because a machine is super intelligent does not mean it has all the answers. Even if can create simulations like we try to now its only in the pratical that they might truly find if they are right.

Ghost in the shell deals with the future where cybernetic humans and AI are reality. There is a notable scene when a cybernetic tank destroys a representation of the evoloutionary tree which chuminates with homosapains at the top.

As far as the machines needing an energy source to survive and humans just being able to pull the plug watch the Anamatrix The Second Renaissance it answers that question.

I dont want to embed the video due to copyright issues but here is the link watch and enjoy.

The Second Renaissance

[edit on 4-5-2009 by bharata]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Robots are sure going to be REALLY popular in the future, from robot maids to robot dancers, workers, boyfriends, waiters etc etc.

Robots will be VERY useful, especially for elderly, disabled etc.

And of course with AI, virtual reality, who knows what will happen, the imagination is the limit.

I think it's pretty obvious that in the future we will be mergin with technology more and more.

Right now we use technology to hear music, to communicate with people from the other side of the world, to play games etc etc. In the future this will continue to evolve until it will help us be faster, stonger, live longer etc

Scary yet so curiously exciting.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
A superconsciousness which is not human, will have no bias for or against humans.

It might respect humans as an integral part of the whole.
It migh view humans as a disease, killing the planet.

You puts you money down, and you takes you chance!
Step up step up and puts you money down, the wheel spins round and round and where it stops, no one knows.

I am of the opinion that the probability of creating any software that "turns" against humans - especially with open-source programming - is much smaller than creating one that seeks to serve us.

But by and large, I think the highest level of Consciousness we will create will be on the par of an ant colony, with instruction sets for individual "workers," and a beneficial "community" behavior emerging from the basic instructions.

The probability that we will create an enemy is slim to none.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by bharata

I always have believed that we should make machines with a 'intellectual ceiling', as it is unwise to make machines smarter than their creators.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I understand where you are coming from. But what about free will (no big discussions on free will, you know what I mean). If something is intelligent enough would it prefer to be subservient? I know that if I was in the position of being ruled and was more intelligent than my rulers would either convince them or escape whatever way I could.

Adam and Eve took the fruit of the tree and they had everything they wanted.

Its an interesting concept to think of a Machine Embassy and Ambassador and then the diplomacy etc.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bharata

Ha, now we are getting into a slippery slope. Are machines a living being? Can something that was created by a biological entity be considered alive? If these beings were made for the purpose to serve and be subservient does that nullify their rights?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Now I think you are on the right path there. AI should be used as a tool to augment Human development and such.

Will we be able to stop ourselves? We created Nuclear weapons and just had to try them out.

And sorry my post about understanding what you mean was to Amaterasu, Apologies for the mix up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join