It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans hate the French?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Do you know anything about World War II? The French military (and the American military) was far behind the Germans at the outbreak of World War II. Hitler's brilliant military strategies allowed nearly all the countries in Europe to fall in less than a year. Poland fell in less than a month. Holland fell five days after the Nazi invasion, Belgium fell eighteen days later after the invasion. Norway surrendered about two months after they were invaded. The German army seemed invincible.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
well how about that magino line? that was a beauty!

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros

Part of the problem is that the French have a national feeling of self-importance and rebelliousness. They enjoy thumbing their noses at the rest of the world, and will often choose a position on a hot topic that is 180 degrees counter to the popular point of view.

I think most Americans don't hate the french, but we regularly get annoyed as hell over their words and actions (or inactions). I think it really boils down to the fact that the French seem to think that their opinions and views should matter alot more than anybody else's (especially those barbaric Americans), when the reality of the world is that most countries see France as a relic of colonial times with duplicitous motives, a questionable track record, and a lack of ability to be a team player in the world community.

P

Quite valid points... but you said that the French like to go against popular opinion... the USA's view on te world is not actually popular opinion... in fact countries who actually aupport the USA are in a minority... But i can see what you mean. The French are rebelling against the USA which i guess being the most powerful nation make their own 'popular' opinion...

I feel the french do wish for their times of power but i dont think it has much to do with their international politics (definately the attitude of their people though) the only thing i see in their politics that mirrors this lust to be powerful again is the forming of the EU, but that is the European community combining themselves economically for thei benefit...

but the US hate french because the french wont kiss George Bushs ass

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
well i hate the french for several reasons....

primarily because they have little interest in the affairs of the rest of the world....

they never go out of their way to help another country(remeber WWII)

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
To hate a people on a whole or to generalize them is not right.

There are good and bad people in every population on Earth.

Whatever problem one has, it still does not make it right to lump an entire people into "good" or "bad" categories.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
YOUR WOMEN DON'T SHAVE THEIR PITS!!!!!!
WHAT GOOD ARE FANCY CLOTHES, GOOD FOOD, AND A SEXUALLY OPEN CULTURE IF YOUR IN THE MIDDLE OF A PIT JUNGLES?!!?!?!?!?!

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
YOUR WOMEN DON'T SHAVE THEIR PITS!!!!!!
WHAT GOOD ARE FANCY CLOTHES, GOOD FOOD, AND A SEXUALLY OPEN CULTURE IF YOUR IN THE MIDDLE OF A PIT JUNGLES?!!?!?!?!?!

You have obviously never been with a beautiful French woman.

That was really lame. I hope it was made tongue in cheek......

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Hank :Homer which country do like more Italy or France?

Homer :Italy!

Hank: ha no one ever says France

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
They have a long interesting history, and they are brimming over with culture. They're cinema is some of the best in the world, they're food is excellent, their women beautiful and cultured, and the wine!

I like the language as well.

Rent a film called Videoq, incredible! Probably not available at your local Blockbuster though.

As for being cowards, I don't like fighting much myself. And that should be judged on a indvidual basis. I'm sure there is a good cross section of people from every country in the world that are cowards.

Sure they're arrogant sometimes, but they have REASON to be. What's wrong with being proud of your country and culture?

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ninjorp
They have a long interesting history, and they are brimming over with culture. They're cinema is some of the best in the world, they're food is excellent, their women beautiful and cultured, and the wine!

I like the language as well.

Rent a film called Videoq, incredible! Probably not available at your local Blockbuster though.

As for being cowards, I don't like fighting much myself. And that should be judged on a indvidual basis. I'm sure there is a good cross section of people from every country in the world that are cowards.

Sure they're arrogant sometimes, but they have REASON to be. What's wrong with being proud of your country and culture?

You don't have to be arrogant to simply tell ppl that
you are patriotic to your country. As for French cuisine,
it's basically a contest between chef's as to which resturant(sp)
can create the smallest possible 'meal', on the the largest
possible plate...which = $200
S.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I have no problem with the French.. they are a nation of fine culture and I respect culture more than anything.

That entire anti-French "freedom fries" deal simply was a part of American pop culture, for this reason I had to disregard this entire thing as entertainment, the media focuses too much on entertainment these days.

French took the smart move by not wasting men and good money on the endless and impossible war on Iraq which never will be won.

My only fear and concern is this invasion by Islamic fundementalists into France, France doesen't seem to be taking the initiative to destroy them. I rememmber Putin of Russia.. he had a great quote "Russia does not negoiate with terrorists, it destroys them" I wish more nations would begin taking steps to destroy the threat of the "backwards society" known as Islamic fundemtalists who are going after people who wish to advance out of the days of the cave house. And it doesen't mean invading countries, it means to destroy the enemy as they enter your border and not wait untill your city is a crater in the ground.

This is a fight for the white-European race, and the fight must be taken back to the backwards society of Islamic fundementalists. Yes, Indeed this is more or less a religion/race war.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
america doenst hate the french you fools. more than half of them are french!? you fraud conspirator! rofl.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I've been to France a couple of times and found the people to be charming. Of course I spent my time in Normandy and Brittany and well away from the major cities so maybe thats why.

One thing about them though is that they like visitors to France to at least try to speak the language. I remember being there once and trying my schoolkid French on a cashier when I was buying something in a gift store. She smiled and asked in perfect English if I would prefer we spoke English. She then explained that most French people appreciate visitors who try to speak French but can't abide those who go to France and insist on speaking English. I can't blame them actually.

I've only met one Frechman who I considered to be an arsehole and that was in Romania.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Please tell me you didnt just call Joan d'Arc a non-french person? If so, please leave the thread.
France are a decent country, they created America effectively.
They only lost world war 2 because America was pushing for extremely light punishments on Germany in light of World War 1.
They didnt lose World War 1, they were just the centre of the battles.
If you're blaming France for the excessive nuclear weapon testing on Atoll, then why not mention the fact that it's only because America was nuking there in the first place that it's now excessively-radiated.

If America had been sharing a boarder with Germany in world war 2, they would have had the same problem occur...

However, asking the US to remove their soldier's graves is a bit extreme.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by browha
Please tell me you didnt just call Joan d'Arc a non-french person? If so, please leave the thread.
France are a decent country, they created America effectively.

Well, they aided in it's creation. It wasn't a war between France and England, however, it was between Americans and the English with some support from the French. What aided us more then the few (hundreds) troops they sent us was the supplies they sent us which kept the war effort going.

They only lost world war 2 because America was pushing for extremely light punishments on Germany in light of World War 1.

This is completely false. The US under Wilson was pushing for lighter sanctions, but the european nations pretty much told Wilson to stick it where the sun don't shine. It was because of the extreme sanctions against Germany that someone like Adolf Hitler was able to rise in power.

However, asking the US to remove their soldier's graves is a bit extreme.

They never asked the US to remove their soldier's graves. It was a small group of people who were digging up English graves and yelling "take back your trash". The French government condemned these actions.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
France lost WW2 simply because they didn't have the military mite available to combat the Nazi invasion. It's a simple matter of military superiority folks.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
i just love french people
i think there so friendly, i can joke around with them and plus they speak good english
. I do feel sorry for the french because they have to put up with a lot of #, especially from brits

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Originally posted by browha

This is completely false. The US under Wilson was pushing for lighter sanctions, but the european nations pretty much told Wilson to stick it where the sun don't shine. It was because of the extreme sanctions against Germany that someone like Adolf Hitler was able to rise in power.

Yes, but Wilson's 14 points were, after slight moderation what came into force. Had it been what France or England were pushing for, then there would be no way Germany would have started World War 2. No military force whatsoever, several hundred billion in repayments (the 66 billion given were eventually stopped through things like the Marshall plan, the Young plan, if I remember my history lessons correctly).... Had France imposed the repayment they wanted to, Germany would still be paying money back to this day!

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedOctober90
France lost WW2 simply because they didn't have the military mite available to combat the Nazi invasion. It's a simple matter of military superiority folks.

Not that simple. Tactics played a major part. The French were stuck in WWI trench warfare tactics. The Germans innovated the "Blitzkreig" tactic which a good deal of modern warfare is now based on.(a very fast, tightly co-ordinated air-ground assault) Even after what happened in Poland, there was not enough time for the French to re-adjust their whole armed forces to combat this new tactic.

More a case of being outdated. IMO

The French Maginot Line was very impressive, but the genius of the German commanders was to simply go around it.

.(but I hear the French tanks go even faster in reverse!
JOKE!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think its because we listen to the steriotypes. like " they're all snobs" ect. I think we should ignore the steriotypes and move on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join