It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans hate the French?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashley
and the fact they're rifel droppers

Before you say rifle dropper you should learn how to spell rifle dropper.

Americans dont hate the french they are jealous of them. Another country as big,at peace, more beautiful,and better cheese. What do we have here? A dying welfare country,# even the Indians are laughing.

Good points, but I don't think Americans are jealous, I just think they are following too many trends. America is a country of trends, the popular view at the time during the beginning of the Iraq war was to eat freedom fries and be anti-French and make French jokes. Now you barely hear about this anymore.

The countries of Europe are trying to advance society, putting the idea of revenge and war behind and attempting to help build a more well-rounded society. As America continues the imperialistic idea of forcing ones culture/religion/government system on people who do not want it. The European system and idea puts the people ahead of one politican and his own agenda, the idea is to improve the lives of the people, not to fill the pockets of the politicans.

My fellow man is a lot more important to me than any governmental regime or politican or corporation.

I stand with the French in there decision, I am for the advancement of society.

And Bolshevik, good points again there.. always good to see your posts here. I am glad you also support the needs and rights of the fellow man over what the politicans need.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by RedOctober90]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Whgats up with this freedom fries # anyway? I have never heard them called that. That isnt even a trend. One guy selling freedom fries does not make it a national trend. Every where I go they are still french fries, French toast, French kissing, French dip sandwiches, french manicures, French vanilla, ect.

This whole thing about "freedom fries" was probably one small incident and the media blew it up, but no one payed it any mind. And the only people I see spewing anti french sentiments post iraq are a select few, most people I know could care less about the French or what they do, or for that matter, what the govornment does.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Whgats up with this freedom fries # anyway? I have never heard them called that. That isnt even a trend. One guy selling freedom fries does not make it a national trend. Every where I go they are still french fries, French toast, French kissing, French dip sandwiches, french manicures, French vanilla, ect.

This whole thing about "freedom fries" was probably one small incident and the media blew it up, but no one payed it any mind. And the only people I see spewing anti french sentiments post iraq are a select few, most people I know could care less about the French or what they do, or for that matter, what the govornment does.

It was just a disucssion about that current trend that existed for that month or two following the decision of France to not go to war (a smart choice) On the major media networks they made a big deal out of resturants renaming French fries to "Freedom Fries" In fac they should be called Belgian Fries because that's where they originally came from!

"Freedom" in Iraq makes me laugh my arse off, in Iraq the Bush Regime has censored alot of newspapers in Iraq and even shut one down, they also control the radio and TV networks.. probably more than what Saddam did. What freedom? Crushing a guys Taxi with a tank because he was seen carrying away some pieces of metal? Freedom? Knocking basic utilities off and leaving many without jobs? Where was the riots and suicide bombers when Saddam was in power?

We can go on and on about this but facts are facts.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedOctober90
"Freedom" in Iraq makes me laugh my arse off, in Iraq the Bush Regime has censored alot of newspapers in Iraq and even shut one down, they also control the radio and TV networks.. probably more than what Saddam did.

Actually, the "paper" that was shutdown had to be because it was inciting people to kill coalition troops. Saddam would have not just shut down the paper, he would have had the people running it either jailed or lined up and shot.

The paper that was shut down was run by followers of Cleric Al-Sadr, who's own father was murdered by Saddam's secret police just a few years ago. More freedom under Saddam?

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Exactly, facefirst, which is why the idea of a Democracy in Iraq is a joke.

If a country is gonna have a free society, they must want it. Obviously, Iraq isnt ready for it. It never was.

If it isnt Saddam, it will be any other asshole. religous dictators, secular ones, until people move away from the dark age mentalities that prevail there, aint # ever gonna happen.

bBack to the topic. I dont respect the French for staying out of the war because they did it for selfish reasons. They, like us, the germans, and everyone else, were making big money off Saddam and Iraq. They could care less about right or wrong, they were more worried about not getting paid and loss of income from the backdoor dealings in Iraq.

Thus, In my opinion, they are as bad and as #ed as America was for invading the country and supporting and funding saddam in years past.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
That greedy attitude could describe any American (known for being greedy people).

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   

If a country is gonna have a free society, they must want it. Obviously, Iraq isnt ready for it. It never was.

Thus, In my opinion, they are as bad and as #ed as America was for invading the country and supporting and funding saddam in years past.

In an interesting side note, I heard two American soldiers who had returned from Iraq interviewed.(seperate interviews and did not know each other)
Interestingly, they both remarked that it seems that the people in Iraq are so damaged from being under Saddam so long, that they seem like they almost need a dictatorship or so kind of extreme ruling. It is going to take a generation or two to get over the Baath party's legacy. IMO

I do not disrespect the French for not going into Iraq. It was their choice. Albiet, as more info comes out, it seems to be for dubious reasons.

They did go into Afgahnistan right along side us. I think that counts for something?

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
oh afganhnistan! (sarcasm) afaganhnistan was like a panzer division going through...well...france

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ninjorp
I have heard there is a lot of slack against the French these days, but I rarely have the strength to subject myself to the American news media. I call it Terror TV. So I'm a little out of the loop. Can anyone explain it to me please?

So why DO Americans hate the French so?

Just because your told to?

How many of you have BEEN to France, or know much about French culture?

So what is it about the French? Surely it's not because they DISAGREE with you? I though America supported free speech?

Yes, I have been to France, I know a bit of the culture, took 3 years of French back in school (That was three years before they gave us the Statue of Liberty.

You can't tolerate American "Terror TV"? I don't care. You just gave insight on your opinion, that goes beyond your "American travellers are topnotch" line.

Let clear your syntax a bit. It isn't "The French", but France that many of us do not like. How far back should I go? Back when France pulled out of NATO, knowing they would then not have to participate in the defense of Europe but would still be aided if attacked by the Soviet Union? Nothing more than scabs (dirtbags who don't join a union but suck up the advantages of working in a union shop).
We can start there and go all the way up to where we find out that France was sucking up money by selling Iraqi oil, keeping most of the money. Remember teh Food for Oil program? Yeah, that scam where Hussein made money, his people starved and certain countries, France included, made cash. If I remember, France, Russia, and some other howled at the thoughts of the U.S. attacking Hussein. Narrow-minded moronic citizens actually thought they were defending "peace", but all they were defending was their "piece" of the action. While Bush's NBC information may have been faulty but not disingenious, France was only protecting their under-the-table action. Interestingly enough, a terrorist in Jordan admitted receiving explosives and poison training in Iraq before we hit Hussein. Maybe the information wasn't as faulty as the pinko-press has tried to have us believe.

There are many, many reasons why observant Americans have gotten a belly full of that back-stabbing country. Just make sure you protect your own personal constitution and not watch American news. Especially Fox as it might make you choke on more truth than you'd like.

I, too, am not trying to be insultive.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
And as far as supporting free speech, that does not mean you can do or say anything and then everyone is obligated to give you a big kiss and a hug. Do you simply love everyone, especially people who are at odds with you and work against you? Don't try and play the first amendment in a hypocritical way. You have the right to say whatever, and I have the right to feel about you in whatever manner.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Facefirst

In an interesting side note, I heard two American soldiers who had returned from Iraq interviewed.(seperate interviews and did not know each other)
Interestingly, they both remarked that it seems that the people in Iraq are so damaged from being under Saddam so long, that they seem like they almost need a dictatorship or so kind of extreme ruling. It is going to take a generation or two to get over the Baath party's legacy. IMO

I do not disrespect the French for not going into Iraq. It was their choice. Albiet, as more info comes out, it seems to be for dubious reasons.

They did go into Afgahnistan right along side us. I think that counts for something?

Thank you. I rest my case

Not just saddam, or Iraq, but the whole region. Europe became democratic, as did America (I use democracy loosely here, we have a republic, thankfully, not a democracy, which in the true sense, is a road to tyranny).

Europe grew tired of the silly Christian ideals, ethics, and superstitions that kept them in the dark ages. they began to throw away the old and bring in the new, and America, founded by European exiles, carried on this mentality.

However, the middle east never voluntarily embraced western ideas of secularism, humanism, and basic dignity. Islam aside, they still hold on to ancient ideals and ways of life, including tyranical ones. Thats what they need. Thats all they iudnerstand. until the slow awakening from within and people desire foir themselves to form more advanced and efficent systems, true democracies/republics/free states will never be successful in the middle east.

They still believe in rule by punishment and fear. Those who opposed Saddams brutality (like Saydr) would use the same tactics against people who were against his more religious regime. Its not tyranny these people disliked, it was a matter of whose tryanny. While in the west, say, brutal oppresion, torture, and murder and warring are forwned upon as less than civilized, in the middle east, they respect whoever has the biggest stick to beat thier will into whoever.

Anyway, back on topic. Thanks, TC, though I hardly consider Fox news a harbringer of truth, you did bring up a very big point: NATO. Now mind you, I think NATO should be disbanded because it has outlived its usefulness, but were talking about the days when the Warsaw pacts was the biggest threat. The fact that the French refused to participate and let everyone else sacrifice soldiers and lives to protect them makes them less than respectable.

Its not a matter of the French funding Saddam. America funded Saddam. We supported him. We were his best friend.

Its the bull# hypocrisy and lie that the French tried to portray when opposing the US in the UN. it was a bull# politics game. I dont fault them for opposing our descision to invade Iraq, I fauklt them for thier sneering hyprocrisy. Thier lies that they are "defenders of peace" sit in my mind just as vile as the Bush admins grand lie that there were WMD in Iraq. Thus, I throw the French govornment and media in the same "to burn in hell" bin i throw the war mongers and liars and greedy bastards in my own country.

I dont give a # what country you live in. A hypocrite is a hypocrite, and i shall hate you with equality.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   

"Freedom" in Iraq makes me laugh my arse off, in Iraq the Bush Regime has censored alot of newspapers in Iraq and even shut one down, they also control the radio and TV networks.. probably more than what Saddam did.

Actually, the "paper" that was shutdown had to be because it was inciting people to kill coalition troops. Saddam would have not just shut down the paper, he would have had the people running it either jailed or lined up and shot.

The paper that was shut down was run by followers of Cleric Al-Sadr, who's own father was murdered by Saddam's secret police just a few years ago. More freedom under Saddam?

Yeha why do you think inciting? It's because they do not want us in their territory! Sometimes facts overun patriotism.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I lived in france for three years, great time, great experience. perhaps its not the french population as a whole, but the french government that we dislike

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Yeha why do you think inciting? It's because they do not want us in their territory! Sometimes facts overun patriotism.

Most of the troops I have talked to and read interviews with said most of the Iraqi people want us there until things are stable and are happy Saddam is gone. It is the people who are jockeying for power who are blowing stuff up and urging a Jihad. They want to run the place regardless of what anyone, including fellow Iraqis think. Power all to themselves. (ala Iranian Mulah style)

So do you suggest we pull out now and let a bloody civil war happen?

Which of course would happen and many more thousands would be killed while power hungry groups fight over control.

IMO

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Most of the troops I have talked to and read interviews with said most of the Iraqi people want us there until things are stable and are happy Saddam is gone. It is the people who are jockeying for power who are blowing stuff up and urging a Jihad. They want to run the place regardless of what anyone, including fellow Iraqis think. Power all to themselves. (ala Iranian Mulah style)

So do you suggest we pull out now and let a bloody civil war happen?

Which of course would happen and many more thousands would be killed while power hungry groups fight over control.

IMO

well thats a start. but itll happen one way or another. heck were going to pull out june 30th. on that day just sit back and let the fireworks begin

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
[well thats a start. but itll happen one way or another. heck were going to pull out june 30th. on that day just sit back and let the fireworks begin

Were are only handing over "official" govt duties on June 30th.
Coalition troops are going to be in Iraq for years to come.....

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Lemme put it this way. france owes us BIG TIME!
Let me put it this way. France is in no way worse than you.

examples

WWI(France is germany's whiping boy)
You are wrong. In fact it was mainly the French who defeated Germany - first the French defeated the German army in 1914 at Marne forcing it to retreat to the Rhine river. Later the French again defeated the German army at Marne. And it was France who Germany surrendered to.

france it totally conqured by the third rich probally making it the only country nearly conqured or totally conqured twice in under 50 years)
Not truth. Poland has regained liberty in 1918 and only 21 years after that it has been conquered again.

VIET NAM-(Ho Chi Min actually asked us to nuke the french forces in viet nam. luckly for the frogs we were smaretr than that.)
Don't forget that the US was also defeated in Vietnam.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
I hate them because they call for peace and turn around and sell weapons to Iraq and such. If they were really comitied to peace they would not be selign weapons around the world.

weapons?

lets not forget the the nuclear reactor they gave to them too.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Well, ninjorp, I can't tell you why Americans hate the French, because, even though I'm an American, I certainly don't hate them.

I will tell you why I dislike you and your attitude, though, if you're able to hear it:

"...American news media. I call it Terror TV....Just because your [sic] told to? ... Americans rarely travel, and are simply not that well informed about the rest of the world... for the Peace Corps wankers, who are a bunch of nerds... "

In other words, ninjorp, your question is just an excuse do dump on Americans; a freedom to which, of course, you're entitled. Anyone -- at least in my country -- has the freedom to be a bigot.

I think the reason that a lot of Americans are annoyed with the French is the perception that they are a people who once were ascendant in world affairs until about a hundred years ago, are no longer, but still want to be.

And as I and some of my acquaintances perceive the French, many of them are proud of their culture, but so frightened of the inroads of American culture that they publicly disdain it and pass laws against its encroachment -- while watching with dismay as their own people crowd into le Burger King and les Levis.

Yet despite the magnificence of the Impressionists and people like Francois Marie Arouet, Pierre Tielhard de Chardin, Camille de Saint-Saens, and Claude Debussy, one has to wonder at modern France's taste in popular culture, given their apparent deification of Jerry Lewis!

And one also has to wonder at how the French are attempting to uphold their own fierté d'individu in the face of rapid and irreparable Islamification of their country and culture.

But of course, one does not notice this self-awareness in many of the Francophiles I see; indeed, their litany of bash the Americans for merely being there seems to be a permanent adjunct of their culture. Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose, as it were.

But I want to reiterate, ninjorp, that most Americans don't hate the French. I think many Americans look at the French in general as okay folks who may be a bit more taken with themselves; and only a few of my more annoyed countrymen look at them as smarmy, self-indulgent attack poodles...

...which is pretty much the way I perceive you.

[edit on 21-5-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Americans speak of WWII like the victory of the allies only happened because the USA entered the war. The great responsible for the Allied victory over Nazi German was the USSR not the USA.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join