It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wrath of God

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
In the book of revelations, it says that the people who follow the antichrist will get a dose of "the wrath of god" upon his return.

I don't know if there are any other times when gods "wrath" is mentioned or if this is the only time.

But I have one question about god's wrath. Why does god have wrath?

Wrath is one of the seven deadly sins! God has commited one of the deadly sins here, how can this be?

Or is god allowed to sin?

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Let see if I can bring back the ancient story of god, When abraham left his city of birth one of the town in simeria, he took with him his family and servants, he also took his gods, yes, gods with him, one of them was the good of war yahew I believe that is how you spell that and this particular god was very fierce, once he became monogamus the god he choose was the god of war because It was the most stronger of the gods this god was the one that help fight wars and take over the land for the chosen ones, after cristianity, they gave god a make over and made him more gentle but yes he can have wrath thas how the people of god were able to conquer so much and become from nomads to a nation.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'm assuming that you are talking about the Christian religion since you are quoting from the Book of Revelations and asking about God.

The Christian God is the only One that can judge the sins of mankind.

God's Judgment/Anger/Wrath is a righteous punishment against the wicked. God�s anger is always directed at the wicked people that are hurting his children. The punishment is always fair and God continuously gives people chances to change before it is too late. This can be hard to understand while living in a society like America (where I am from) where the lines between right and wrong are becoming more and more grayed. People do not want to believe in good or evil - they just want to do anything they feel like doing with no repercussions at the end.

If you want to read a perfect example of what is happening in America right now pick up a Bible and read the Book of Judges. When reading that book recognize that the �Children of Israel� are �Gods people� and the �Canaanites� are the wicked. The story is about how God gives his people a nation, protects it and gives them bountiful wealth and prosperity and in return the people turn their back on God and start to do whatever they want without the worry of judgment. The last line of the Book of Judges says it best: �In those days there was no king in Israel (GOD): every man did that which was right in his own eyes. Judges 21:25

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   

God's Judgment/Anger/Wrath is a righteous punishment against the wicked.

If this is true and god exists can his judgement be trusted.

If absolute power corrupts absolutely, what does omnipotence do to you?

If you are without sin, a child who steels a pack of gum is wicked to you.

If a child steals bread to feed his family, he has committed a wicked act of stealing, even if he was doing it for a good reason.

Does god judge the act or the intent.

If I am a doctor and I meant to save someone but accidentally killed them how am I judged by an omnipotent being who feels he has no equal.

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Spiderj: If you are talking about the Christian God then God is without Sin so yes his punishment is fair and righteous. What happens to mortal men or what children would do are irrelevant.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

What happens to mortal men or what children would do are irrelevant.

How could that be irrelevant to god? If he is without sin and he judges us then everything we do is relevant.

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime

Wouldn't that mean that God disproves of our police force? And the judges in court?

God's Judgment/Anger/Wrath is a righteous punishment against the wicked. God?s anger is always directed at the wicked people that are hurting his children.

Now that's not really true is it? How many times has anyone said "Why do bad things happene to good people?" If your statement were true good people would never have bad things happen to them, because they are good, and god would not need to punish them.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Now that's not really true is it? How many times has anyone said "Why do bad things happene to good people?" If your statement were true good people would never have bad things happen to them, because they are good, and god would not need to punish them.

That's presupposing that bad things are always punishment from God, which I don't think they are. Our world is not perfect, bad things happen, this has been discussed over and over. Just because bad things happen doesn't mean God makes them happen.

If this is true and god exists can his judgement be trusted.

If absolute power corrupts absolutely, what does omnipotence do to you?

God is God for crying out loud. You can't compare a divine being to a human being. It takes faith in God to have complete trust in God, but I do. Power corrupted Lucifer, but he was an angel, he wasn't God. God is God, and God is infallible. He can't be corrupted. I'm sure people will say that he can, but I do not believe that to be so.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by zerotime

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't that mean that God disproves of our police force? And the judges in court?

No, it wouldn't. God punishes sins. Law enforcement and the courts punish injustices that are seen as reasonably bad, and the disobeying of such laws. Sure, many of the laws we have in place reflect sins, but the last judgement and final punishment for sins is by God. Sins are not the same as breaking the law; they may be similar, but they are not one in the same. So no, God does not disprove of our police or courts.

Hopefully I've made my ideas clear.

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by Faisca]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

God is God for crying out loud. You can't compare a divine being to a human being.

Why not?

If we're all built in gods image then we must have something in common with God. Was God always God, born into omnipotence? it's a real chicken/egg thing what came first god or the universe, can even an omnipotent being such as god exist in a void of nothingness.

If god created the universe who created god?

The creator of the creator must exist, God could not have just magically appeared before the existance of our reality.

If god exists it was brought into existance by something.

SPiderj

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Faceless:

You have a problem i your argument - assuming that God does exist, God is without flaw. He could not make a human error. Human rationalization does NOT aply to him. Thus, with the child who steals bread, we could not ever understand what he would do, because we use human thought - He would use PERFECT UNFLAWED thought - thus, however He would handle it may or may not make sense to our pathetic minds, but it woulld be the correct way because He is God.

No -a ccording to Christians, God does not get involved (most of the time) with man - he instead watches his beloved children waiting for them to join Him. Bad things happen to good people because of Adam and Eve - you've heard the story before, so I will not go over it with you.

This is of course, from my understanding of broad Christian beliefs.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
That's presupposing that bad things are always punishment from God, which I don't think they are. Our world is not perfect, bad things happen, this has been discussed over and over. Just because bad things happen doesn't mean God makes them happen.

Does this mean that God cannot protect the people that do not deserve to have bad things happen to them?

Does this mean that god does not govern all?

Does this mean that if god happens to be looking somewhere else at the wrong time someone could end up with something they did not deserve?

Does this mean that other forces have power to do things god does not want to be done?

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Why are these silly games played in every single thread?

Spiderj: Irrelevant, in the fact that you are talking about stuff that happens to men and how men think. The Christian God is not a man.

If a doctor accidentally kills a patient, God knows what is in this man�s heart and his true intentions, even if that doctor is convicted of manslaughter by man�s law. The punishment for this doctor, if any, will be fair by God.

I cannot say that I know how God punishes and I don't pretend to know. If God knows all and can see into the hearts of men then God has a much broader view of the good and the wicked. If a child steals a pack of gum the child might not even know stealing was wrong. "I" might call that child wicked because he took something from me, but "I" cannot judge. "God" might not see the child as wicked, however, if that child grows up and steals for his entire life knowing that what he is doing is hurting people then that is wicked � he would now be a person who is knowingly hurting other people and continues to do so anyway.

Faceless: No, that doesn�t mean society cannot make laws. If you look at most US laws they were made directly from the ten commandants. A society can make laws to protect it from wicked people who seek to hurt other people. However, if those police and judges are twisting the laws for their own wicked purposes then the people who are protecting us have become wicked.

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by zerotime]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj

If we're all built in gods image then we must have something in common with God. Was God always God, born into omnipotence? it's a real chicken/egg thing what came first god or the universe, can even an omnipotent being such as god exist in a void of nothingness.

If god created the universe who created god?

The creator of the creator must exist, God could not have just magically appeared before the existance of our reality.

If god exists it was brought into existance by something.

SPiderj

Are you a Christian? I ask only to further my understanding of where you're coming from.

I don't have to believe that something created God. I believe that God has always been, and will forever be. In my eyes, it's that simple. I can't grasp God as some kind of person sitting out in the void somewhere, but I can understand Him as a being, as a force that has always existed.

About man being created in God's image. Why can't we be compared to God? Well, I for one can't create a world out of nothing, nor am I omnipotent, nor am I divine. Just because it says God created man in his image, does not mean that man=God.

I don't pretend to be some kind of Bible scholar, but this is what I believe.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Why are these silly games played in every single thread?

I don't think there is anything silly about what I or anyone else who has disagreed with you has written here.

Debate is never silly. Just because your views are different than mine. You believe god is an omnipotent being and unfallable, I do not.

My opinion is no less valid than yours when we are discussing a being that may or may not exist.

Nothing I have said is irrelevant in terms of this thread. I am not talking about how men think. men think the way they think, what is important is how god if he exists views mans actions.

Just because you feel you know how god views the world and man does not make it a fact, everything with religion is faith and supposition.

Because you are a person of unmoving faith and I am not does not mean you are correct. I do not think you are inherintly wrong because I disagree with you.

Now, if god exists and I do not believe and I die and I go to be judged by I think it's saint peter he says you did not believe you had no faith you must now go to hell.

Shouldn't I be able to say, oh yeah man was I wrong, sorry I believe now. Can I come in?

I would be allowed in right, if my only crime is a lack of faith (not to be confused with a lack of morals) would I be forgiven.

You shall have no other god then the one true god. That sounds more like ego than omnipotence to me.

To say that we cannot understand how god thinks seems kind of like a cop out. We see the world, if the world and everything in it was created by god this can give us somewhat of an understanding of how he thinks, or she.

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
well if it is up to me all laws judged in court ect are counted above religious law until prove the existence of a god. some of the things currently said by religion are allready in our law systems... like not stealing not murdering ect.. so its not relavant to judge them by religion.

some thing I might even say that leaders of the religions do thing wrong by law we all remember the rapes of little kids by priests...

this kind of event will mean that our laws are more usefull and more of worth then those of religion because otherwise they wouldn't be punished (if there is a god) when they are at the gates when they died... and that is a little bit to late because in the time passing they could have hurt ect .. a lot other persons.

and if we do things like judging people by religious ways we get middle east like things... it will become to extreem ... we will get people slashing of other peoples hands for stealing a sack of food...

you can see where state and religion is separeted its much better then where religion takes the upperhand...
we only have to look to africa and middle east... for that.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Are you a Christian? I ask only to further my understanding of where you're coming from.

I am not a christian. I'm more of a spiritualist. I believe in the possiblity that all religions are correct if you wish to believe in them.

Why can't there be seperate heavens and hells for every religion each god or devil ruling over their respective domains.

I do not think Christians or jews or muslims are wrong in their beliefs.

In terms of comparing ourselves to god, I am not saying that god is man because we were created in his image. But if we were created in his image, meaning we share similarites then yes even though we can't make a universe doesn't mean we can't share some basic similarites.

Pigs can't build houses and cows can't drive and gorrillas can't do my taxes, but we all share simliarites.

Spiderj

i was raised Jewish but do not practice and do not believe in one perfect infallible god.

This is my belief, my opinion. Unless god appears before me I doubt I would believe. And if he did who would believe me?

We all know how that works out for people,.

SPiderj

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It is all silly. Look at this board. Look at the threads. The threads are the same subjects posted over and over with the same people posting the same comments.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   

It is all silly. Look at this board. Look at the threads. The threads are the same subjects posted over and over with the same people posting the same comments.

You obviously don't think that or you wouldn't continue to post.

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiderj

You obviously don't think that or you wouldn't continue to post.

Spiderj

It's akin to those people telling me how annoying my thread is, and how they dislike reading anything I write. Then they continue to post and discuss. Go figure?

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faceless
In the book of revelations, it says that the people who follow the antichrist will get a dose of "the wrath of god" upon his return.

I don't know if there are any other times when gods "wrath" is mentioned or if this is the only time.

But I have one question about god's wrath. Why does god have wrath?

Wrath is one of the seven deadly sins! God has commited one of the deadly sins here, how can this be?

Or is god allowed to sin?

God is just.
Just is when people who did something wrong, get what they deserve.
In the old testament people had to sacrifice animals and food when they had done something wrong.
Basicly giving away something very valuable to them, to pay for what they had done wrong.
When Jesus died, this changed.
Jesus paid for our sins by suffering and being deserted from God. This was more terrible then we can imagine, and because Jesus was without sin he "paid" for our sins. In the final era of this world, several things will change again. Satan, for whom there is no offering great enough will get his punishment.
The antichrist and their followers represent Satan on earth. That is why they will face the wrath of God on earth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join