It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About Masks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Let's remember something here: Many people will have ideas about how and when people should wear a mask, to protect their lungs. Certainly, no amount of TV or media shield will tell us otherwise. It is wise, to protect ones lungs, and of loved ones also.

But then, there is the downside to masks, which are really boiled down to the basic element of humans not being able to see each other's faces. That is to say, if a few people start wearing masks, then the others will polarize against that idea (at least some will) simple due to their (correct) feeling that not being able to see each others face, is a pre-cursor to societal disconnection. That is to say, some people instinctively know, that a society of people whose faces are covered, is a society which is at severe mental risk.

The mask issue will become a media talking point. Really from my perspective it boils down like this: Wearing a mask is a courtesy to one's neighbor.

Lots of folks will tell you you need a NIOSH N-95 mask for mental security. Some go farther with the N-100 (which I've not seen myself). Lots of people will be confused, and TV will tell them nothing useful.

Here is the point: Such bug-out types will laugh at mexicans who are wearing less-ideal maskage, looking almost silly from the perspective of a human protecting their lungs. Like the US bio-warrior knows that having good gear which insulates him from the environment, is what works best. Surely a good mask should operate under the same principle.

BUT in this case, it is the SNEEZING which one wants to capture with the mask. So in fact the thinking is almost reversed, because to discard the idea of wearing a mask, is to allow all sneezing to be airborne. Why would we want that?

Understand that whatever mask you have, should be worn NOT for the primary reason that it will protect your lungs (it may), but because it is a courtesy to your fellow human, if you don't discharge particles into the air.

Said another way: If you think you might be sick or contagious, then get your damn mask on your face and capture the sneezes. At least get back into the old idea of a handkerchief (disposable) which can be used to capture virus and discard it.

We got airborne human to human vector here, which means simply, the balance between society not showing their faces and the desire to remain safe, will be affected. All I am asking is to please reverse the premises upon which one chooses to don a mask. It is not first for your lungs that you might do so, but for your neighbors. The idea of "I am sick already so why wear a mask?" is not good. One should be encouraged during any time of sneezing/coughing, to wear a mask. The social stigma should be discussed openly based on what I am saying here.

Also, please remember that many, many billions of people will be fine. If you get sick, it is certainly not anything close to a death sentence --But it MAY BE, for that person into whose face you have just coughed.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
What are the 'lifetimes' of these masks ? I suppose it depends upon the environment and the condition of the person using it, but say supplies were running low of these masks.. could you extend their use somehow .. ie just by washing them etc. Or do they have a special coating that only allows a one-time use and then have to be discarded ?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drexl
What are the 'lifetimes' of these masks ? I suppose it depends upon the environment and the condition of the person using it, but say supplies were running low of these masks.. could you extend their use somehow .. ie just by washing them etc. Or do they have a special coating that only allows a one-time use and then have to be discarded ?

They are disposable, but one per household would be sufficient if used for going out. Can they be washed? I don't know. Typically the N-95 mask is used by painters so one theorizes that its considered disposable because paint particles ruin the mask. Perhaps simple daily use would tax the mask too much. If it is being sneezed into (as I am saying masks should be seen as sneeze-guards maybe even for kids) then yes, it should be disposed of so as not to infect anyone else who uses it.

Any 'survivalist' will know what I am saying. But the survivalist mentality is not aligned with city-life, which is dramatically affected by people wearing masks. I am saying that if the thinking is that mask-wearers or handkerchief users (or people who sneeze into their shirt) are all possible displaying their awareness that germies get sneezed and coughed into the air.

I am saying this: The mask issue is about germ-capture (inside the mask), not the other, prevailing idea, germ-capture outside the mask. We are mind-controlled to see kids wearing masks as a bad thing. I the future I see, there are lots of little children wearing masks at times not because there is an outbreak, but because humanity has learned that children's sniffles can become a viral attack vector and the only way to shut down that vector, is to have the kids learn how dangerous sneezing can be.

I am saying the issue needs to be discussed. Also I wanted to reply in a roundabout way to the idea that Mexicans or Texans are being paranoid by wearing a mask. Nobody is being paranoid by wearing a mask if their reason for wearing it is for the safety of others.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by smallpeeps

I have a high quality painter's mask, but don't know the type. I do know that it will not capture your "cough" because it's like a valve which is one way to simply let air out and not in. The in-coming air goes through a two filters, and the out going air is released like a snorkel. So I guess those cheap masks could do better to protect others, but I feel those really don't protect yourself at all, because the mask doesn't hold against your face all that well, as it doesn't conform to your face like a high quality mask will, and the outside air comes in through the sides using the path of least resistance. In general I don't think a painters mask design would be concerned about the air expended being filtered such as the in-coming air. The mask I use has replaceable filters, but you keep the mask.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Freezer]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freezer
reply to post by smallpeeps

I have a high quality painter's mask, but don't know the type. I do know that it will not capture your "cough" because it's like a valve which is one way to simply let air out and not in. The in-coming air goes through a two filters, and the out going air is released like a snorkel.

Yes, that is not a disposable one, and like you say, it has a plastic flipper on it which vents the outbreath --not applicable for inside-mask germ-capture. One could wear such a mask but still sneeze into a handkerchief and in this way, germ-capture goes into a disposable items (paper towel or clean disposable rag?)

The mask I use has replaceable filters, but you keep the mask.

Yes, as above, this type of mask is good for inward capture, but for outward sneeze-capture, you'll want to lift the mask before sneezing, and be sure to have a capture-device like a 4-fold paper towel (or ten of these for ten sneezes?) so as to sneeze, and then dispose of the item. You'll be preserving your mask but also other's lives. Heck a roll of TP in the pocket would be sufficient for sneeze-capture.

NOTE: When I said many billions will survive, I am talking about not just people now but in the future. This will not really change the world, but it will change us, individually. People will polarize around key concepts. One of those will be personal germ capture skills, which will be seen as critical to city survival. These should be practiced with any sneeze, that is to say, have a hanky (disposable) or paper towels folded of for the same. A lower-quality mask, is probably not as disposable as a paper towel, so I am trying to shift the vector awareness here.

The main point from a forward thinking perspective is that children will usually see masks as a game, and there is a psychological component of safety and security from behind the mask if the child is encouraged to see it as being protective of adults who may get sick.

If a child is taught that their little sneezes, though adorable, could be deadly, then the vector of transmission will be reduced. Masked children, for the safety of the adults, seems prudent in the future I see. One immediately realizes that society does not suffer if it is children who are made to see that a mask is fun. When one combines that with the fact that they are big coughers and sneezers, then it becomes obvious logically to shift the paradigm about what a mask means, and to whom that meaning applies.

We live in a society which has been conditioned to see a mask as a bad thing. How shall we shift that on a family-by-family basis if families are not encouraged to discuss the deeper issues? That is my goal with this thread.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by smallpeeps]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Wearing a mask will provide some protection so long as you have one that fits well and you don't wear it for extended periods of time. Once it gets damp take it off and put a new one on.

The masks we see the people of mexico wearing are only good for one thing - and thats to stop them sneezing on other people. They do not fit very well so any air is drawn in through the path of least resistance and along with it comes the flu virus. In other words its just to provide people with a sense of security.

Wearing a mask will help prevent the infection taking hold but doesn't iliminate it fully. So its best to stay out of large gatherings of people and keep washing your hands frequently.

It's also worth keeping in mind that we don't really know how deadly this thing is yet so lets not get over excited for no reason.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
A regular mask is going to do nothing to protect you. The N95 masks do NOT protect against anything smaller than .3 micrograms..it says right on any website that sells them. The only thing I have seen out there that will protect you against this flu is a Nano mask. Viruses are so small, ranging in size from 20-400 nanometers. Unfortunately, EVERYWHERE I have looked, the nano masks are 'not available' and neither are the extra filters. One filter will protect you for 24-48 hours..but they seem to all be sold out. Either that, or someone is somehow preventing them from being purchased..

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Xavialune]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Step One: Relax.

Originally posted by Xavialune
A regular mask is going to do nothing to protect you. The N95 masks do NOT protect against anything smaller than .3 micrograms..it says right on any website that sells them.

Many of the particles will be 'glommed' together with snot and other things so as to create a particle, which might be caught be a mask. This includes so-called 'useless' masks.

I am saying that in real life one gets a larger particle which will be attracted. The point is: courtesy is shown in many ways, one of which is to cover your blowhole if you think you might be sick. I am sure you agree.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I think masks and handwashing are both critical. If you're exposed, don't wash your hands... what do you use to take off your mask with? What do you prepare your food with? What about your clothes?

Handwashing is important. Masks are important. But it's best to just stay home if things get worse. And if worst comes to worst, you get treated.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
If you're exposed, don't wash your hands... what do you use to take off your mask with? What do you prepare your food with? What about your clothes?

Thanks for posting. Yes, you are right.

To your questions: Yes, handwashing is critical and alcohol hand stuff also, but even the thousands of latex gloves out there would become useful. For example, when I work on my car, I wear a pair of blue latex gloves. Actually I've now upgraded to mechanix gloves so as to look a bit cooler when working.

The point is this: Both gloves and masks have associated psychological factors. With latex gloves, people will think proctologist, but that's not unhealthy, so wearing gloves won't affect society --again, except to keep the transmission vector down. I guess I am saying that bio-awareness is cool as are the accoutrements like masks and glvoes, but it is the mask, which carries a societal stigma and I'd say it is a large one. Discussion is warranted.

Handwashing is important. Masks are important. But it's best to just stay home if things get worse. And if worst comes to worst, you get treated.

Yes, except I would gameplan a scenario where doctors and nurses are sick or overwhelmed because it seems like a possibility. I am saying it only makes sense. In such cases, small groups of people can help each other get through being sick, and getting into that survival group of wave one.

Let us not forget that Health Care in America, is being undermined. That fact has nothing to do with the doctors and nurses who usually are working their butts off and deserve their paychecks. The system gets affected regardless of the goodwill of patient or doctor. Doctors and nurses as selfless people will get sick from any 'novel' human-to-human virus, I am guessing. They will also have a very good survival pattern, but the sickness in any professional generally disenables them from coming to work.

More doctors will be making housecalls, but who among them will be the brave one to do so? I may be speaking two or three months/years ahead of schedule here, because there is a waking-up process which some must go through here.

Your point is good: Calmness and forward thinking with basic measures and awareness of both hand and mouth, will help.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Yes of course, I think it is definitely common courtesy to cover your mouth and whatnot. But what I was really getting at was even if the virus is attached to something, there is still a great possibility that it is small enough to get through even the N95 masks. The nano mask is really where its at for preventing viruses from getting through either way...from you or from someone else, but everybody's sold out right now. Or they are conveniently 'unavailable'

top topics

join