It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rotating accents

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Alora

I love accents too, so many just in the UK, which i think is great. What i enjoy though, is reading the dialect
I hail from lincolnshire so reading the following is quite easy for me, has anyone else got any examples from their area? I think there fun to try to descipher - say it as you see it:

Nah then, Just a litt'l no-at tuh ell ya abart ma Uncle Jor. 'E went tuh see Ant Arriat in Clee-a-thorps. 'E went up by tray-on tuh Grimsby 'n then bah co-atch tuh Ant Arriats. 'E reckoned the ossies wur yocked up rong 'n shud av 'ad watter on tuh way. 'E was supprised wen Anty (shees mams sis) sed she was brewing some tea as she don't drink. 'E was disappointed wen she only mashed it, and more so when she was yakking so mutch that she ended up stewin it. 'E said she giv im sum doah cake but called it plum lo-aff. Anty didn't seem 'appy wen 'e poored tuh tea in saucer, bloo on it 'n dunked 'is lo-aff in it. She told 'im there was a 10 foot behind the 'ouse but wen 'e went out tuh luck at tuh fishin there was a lane not a drain. Anty ask 'im to mend tuh fire but 'e sed 'e saw nothin rong with it so cuddent repair it. 'E sed 'e fettled it wit a poker, riddled the ashes maid up the fire by stoking it with co-al 'n pulled out tuh damper. Anty wur pleased. After tuh tea Anty sed 'E shud go for a walk on tuh doons. Sum one had red Lorna Doone to 'im so went, al 'e cud find wur sand 'ills 'n when 'e asked the doons wur 'e was told 'e wur on the fitties. Tuh local sed 'e shud ed 'ome as a sea-roke was coming in. 'E sed 'e didn't no watt one wuz but as a mist was coming he went 'ome anyway. 'E also sed that no way wud the cottages in tuh sand hills be able to grow crops or have live stock. 'E thinks tuh locals are clots. Wen 'e told Anty 'e cuddent find tuh doons she got real mardy. While she settl'd down 'e daren't yack to 'urr in case she got stroppy. Anty started cookin supper and sed we wur avin tripe 'n onions, 'e sed 'e were missin 'is sausage and 'acelet all reddy. Anty asked 'i tuh scrat tuh tates, 'e sed 'e didn't no wat she ment so 'e peeled the spuds. Anty asked 'im to side tuh table, she were most upset wen he tipped it ovver. She tolled 'im to tuh right it 'n lay the dishes on the flat top. Jo-ah sed 'e set the table an Anty seemed 'appy. Supper o'er 'e asked Anty if 'e could 'elp her do the pots, she sed she 'ad alreddy dunn them after 'urr cooking, but cud 'elp 'urr with washing the dishes. 'E sat were 'e was as thay 'ad only used plates knives and forks. Anty giv 'im a apple but told 'i be careful as some were mawky. 'E didn't think it wuz mawky but the worm in it were 'uge. 'E got tawking arter supper aboot cures. 'E sed Anty seamed embarrassed wen 'e sed 'e soaked 'is feet in the guzzunder wen 'e get chill blains. 'E sed wen 'e went to bed 'e realized thut Anty 'as urr guzzunder in a litt'l 'ole top 'o tuh draw - ers. In the mornin Anty asked 'im if 'e ad slept O.K. in the room wit all tuh kelter about. She sed it was rammel but he never saw the road in tuh room, 'E said 'e wonted to go to lavvy but cuddn't see 'ow cud use guzzunder. Anty asked if 'e meant chamber pot on the dresser. 'e sed 'eed never seen one 'e new other words for chamber and pot but thought Anty wud get mardy aggenn if he said those and cuddn't see how those draw-ers cud help 'im to dress.

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com...

and a bit more ....

Nah Then

Cum on in Mester an git yersen waarm an sit neard fire. Ave summat ter tell yer. Ye look ayfe starved . Y owt ter wrap yersen up moor. Y aint much fat on yer. Yer dooant look efter yersen enough. Why thas nowt on yer. Anyrooad ya’ll soon git waarm noo. Ahm on me orn todae, shes gone to er muthers. Shis allust werritin aboot er. Ah keep tellin er th owd lass’l outlive all on us yit.

Ah went ter see Alf Cope yisterdae an when ah got theer is wife said ee want ower well. She said ee ed a cowd I th eead an ee reckoned eed dee. She said nay ya weeant, ya want ter git yersen oot a bit. Trouble is ee weeant stop smookin. Ees allus got a fag on an ees allus coffin an booakin. Ee didn’t look owt sparklin.

It’s a rumman aboot Jack Dale int it. Ee went quick an ee was no age. It was onny last week ah saw im sythin I Farm clooase. Till then ee nivver ailed nowt in is life.

www.memoriesofacountryman.co.uk...

enjoy

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

You hurt my brain.

lol

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

A video dealing with the Wisconsin accent.

I suppose if you want to encounter the Wisconsin accent from me personally I have a couple of Vblogs and a couple/three Bryce tutorials on the media site.

I don't really encounter other accents all that much or at least not for any length of time really so I don't mimic other accents. I do remember though one time back when I was acting as a security guard. I would spend 8 hours or so in a small shack at the entrance to a lumber yard and direct customers as far as to go to pick up their lumber. One day to amuse myself I started making up my own accents and switch accents on a irregular basis when I would be talking to people. It got really funny when I'd talk in one when someone entered and a different one when they would leave!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Alora

sorry
... it isn't that hard really, as i said though, you need to say it as you see it.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Farmer Wink - proud yellerbelly speaking in his lincolnshire tongue.
(embedding disabled so follow the link
)

www.youtube.com...

Ummm....I may or may not get round to doing a V-log

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Just go Ninja style like you did with your members photo.Don't forget sunglasses this time or else you will have to deal with us falling in love with your eyes all over again.

On topic,
You have to love accents they keep conversations interesting.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deson

A video dealing with the Wisconsin accent.

I suppose if you want to encounter the Wisconsin accent from me personally I have a couple of Vblogs and a couple/three Bryce tutorials on the media site.

I have a Wisconsin accent also

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCoG1980
reply to post by Deson

Farmer Wink - proud yellerbelly speaking in his lincolnshire tongue.
(embedding disabled so follow the link
)

www.youtube.com...

Ummm....I may or may not get round to doing a V-log

Oh please do get around to making a Vlog. Even if it's just a way of letting people to get to know you. I would be fascinated to hear it.

In fact this thread has given me an idea about doing another Vlog concerning us Wisconsinites, some of our habits and odd mannerisms. Like calling what 99% of the world would call a water fountain we call a "Bubbler".

I may do that either tonight or tomorrow. It's been too long and I hate to leave my entire Vlog collection at maybe what, 2 or 3 at most?

To nick_napalm,

I figured that video was accurate since i can't detect any accent that didn't sound right to me. Funny how you can never hear your own accent really. Your own accent sounds right, proper, and a part of you always goes "What accent? I'm speaking properly!"

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Deson]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

No promises

Think thats a great idea for your V-log though, will definately take a look once you've got it up.

There's tonnes of words i'm sure are just native to my part of the country, you only realise though when you talk to someone who's not local and they tell you they don't know what you mean

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

y'know, i thought that had been forgotten

i'm embarrassed again - temporarily

Seriously though, i may do one eventually, if i can get hold of a descent camera/web cam, my phone produces really crap audio

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Awe shucks Ms. MCoG I was only funnin ya. I didn't mean to embarrass you honest.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU

Awe shucks Ms. MCoG I was only funnin ya. I didn't mean to embarrass you honest.

No worries dude, likes i said - it was temporary

I haven't been in the media bit for a while - must take a look tomorrow to see what i've missed, i've only been in there in the last month or so to upload pics for my avatar or photography thread - have you any v-logs up now Ant?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Why yes I have two or three up. Here is the great southern accent for those who may not know.

(click to open player in new window)

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Awesome accent dude
cool v-log too

My parents liked country music so i grew up hearing it quite a bit, i love the way DP talks. Hope i aint ignorant in thinking it is the same kind of accent

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d6ae650041b.gif[/atsimg] Now you embarrassan me. Call me thick but the DP
is throwing me off a bit. But yes a lot of country artist share my accent.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Awhh dude, hope its temporary
No kiddin, awesome accent.

DP - that would be Ms Parton, who i personally have always been fond of.
She came to rotherham (45 miles from me) last year to promote reading to children, think she's a lovely person.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
A very good list of Wisconsinisms can be found here. and yep, it's pretty accurate. A number of them mainly pertain to the Northern Part of the state but they seem pretty universal. Say pretty much any of them to a local and he'll understand what your talking about.

Some repetition but also good one can be found here as well. Uff-Da!!

To get the true gist and how to pronounce some of the tongue twisters might I recommend going to Miss Pronouncer. On the left of the page is a menu that will take you to various words (county names etc.) with audio to hear how it's pronounced. Brace your ear drums.

edit to add:

at the bottom left you'll see a link called "The Gomers" that'll take you to a song naming a lot of towns, and citys.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Deson]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Her accent is actually a lot stronger than mine. She is old school country. As the ages pass and more and more people from all over the globe move here and there accents are starting to meld. But I refuse to let mine die.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

How did cheddarhead come about - its in the UK

I've been there several times too (cheddar gorge), famous for its, cheese, cider, caves and the cheddar man

www.cheddarcaves.co.uk...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.cheddargorgecheeseco.co.uk...

Nice post there dude, thanks for those links

[edit on 27-4-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU

Her accent is actually a lot stronger than mine. She is old school country. As the ages pass and more and more people from all over the globe move here and there accents are starting to meld. But I refuse to let mine die.

Right on dude, keep your accent alive... we need to keep our heritage

I know Dolly is old skool - but she still rocks
when she was giving that book reading, i could of cried (twas covered by the local news stations)...she is so passionate about education - very cool lady.

edit to add link:
news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 27-4-2009 by MCoG1980]

<< 1    3 >>

join