It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rotating accents

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'm one of those people who talks the way others around me talk. If someone has a Texas accent, I will too. English accent, I'll pick it up right away. I can't help it, it just happens. But when I realize I'm doing it, I apologize, stop (a small mental exercise on my part), and explain myself.

So having said that.....

Last night I watched Gillian Anderson (X-Files) on the Graham Norton show. She spoke with an English accent like it was no big deal and Graham gave her the same look I was giving her from the other side of the television.

I understand she spent about 9 years of her childhood in England but the rest of the time (30+ years) in Canada and the US. So WTF?

My opinion of it, speaking as a person who picks the accents up immediately, is that it is annoying, pompous, and frankly, it is rude. Which is why when I find myself doing it I stop.

If someone began talking just like me I would think they were mocking me, or posing, trying to be something they are not. But she kept right on going like nobody would notice the American talking like she was from London.

So what do you think? Not a big deal or is it the act of a poser?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It's not that big of a deal to me and is a very natural reaction for many people.

I was a flight attendant for Continental Airlines from 2001-2004. Wherever I flew to, after being there for a few days, I'd pick up on the accent. Not on purpose- it just happened in different countries. Then returning home, my accent would return to normal... until next time.

Normal human reaction. Even when talking to people who have lost their voice, I tend to soften my voice to an almost whisper-like tone. Just some kind of reflex.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
My accent changes with my mood/environment.
For the most part my Canadian accent rules..eh?
But if I get drinkin' or goofing around..I get this southern drawl/ hillbilly thing goin' on.
If I get mad that's when you see the Irish in me.
Like the scene from "P.S. I Love You..."
Kiss me arse!....KISS MINE! IN ENGLISH!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

So you sayin there is something wrong with de southern drawl.
Personally I am painfully southern. It’s so bad that if I tried to use another accent it would be taken as mocking. I’m county can’t help it born and raised. My southern drawl is present no matter what. Can’t and don’t care to change or try to hide it.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Ant, at least you're not one of those southerners who says that they don't have an accent...that cracks me up!
And their accents are beautiful....love them, love them, love them.....

If anything, I become more Scottish in company, until I get to the point where my accent is so strong that no-one can understand me....and then I have to tone it down.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Awe shuckums Ms Cait use gonna make me blush.

I think a lot of southerners don’t acknowledge their accent as the feel others believe it’s an uneducated language “simple folk talk”. Makes me feel like they are ashamed of where they come from. Embrace who you are where you come from and how you speak. If everyone spoke the same it would be boring in my eyes.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

I couldn't agree more...and there are some beautiful accents around the world. I love southern, south african, nigerian, shetland....and icelandic is really sweet to my ears.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I have the same problem, I'll start using a similar accent to the people I'm talking to.
I think it's interesting, shows how much of an effect people can have on you without your noticing.
But yeah, I tend to think it's pretty rude to, and seeing as how I talk to a lot of people over the phone at work, i try not to do it.

Up side is, people think I'm a local. Usually they are surprised when I tell them I'm in Florida.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

So your one of those Southern Yankees :shk:, the only thing worse than a damn Yankee.
kidding seriously. I say that as I have family that lived in Florida and have notice that most of them, took on a different accent than their natural southern draw. It is a mix between Yankee and Southern accents. I have always joked with them about being Southern Yankees. It is only a joke so please don’t hurt me.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Oh I love accents! I have to admit that I have a special place in my heart of English accents.

---deleted this paragraph because it was just repeating what I said in the OP. Duh---

And I still remember all the grief Madonna got when she started speaking with a British accent.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Alora]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Heh, I know what you mean. Florida sort of has it's own accent, pretty much because of the amount of tourism. No worries.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

It's not just Florida I think its all southern coastal areas. Orange Beach Alabama Gulf Shores it's the same. I think it really is something you can't help unless you make yourself speak a certain way. I have a southern drawl but it is no where near as strong as my Grandmothers who lives further south than I. Accents are products of your enviroment.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I do this all the time working customer service in fast food. I've been trying to get better at not doing so as I see it as rude my self. Had an Asian man order a "ticken tie and best" (Chicken thigh and breast). I actually said it like he did when reading his order back to him. Weird look I got, and I feel real bad. :bnghd:

It's really bad when you speak just like the person who doesn't have English as their main language. I always feel bad when I do it without thinking. :bnghd:

The times I've gone down to Texas to visit family, I get the accent. Hard to get rid of after my trip. lol

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Slash]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU
reply to post by AccessDenied

So you sayin there is something wrong with de southern drawl.
Personally I am painfully southern. It’s so bad that if I tried to use another accent it would be taken as mocking. I’m county can’t help it born and raised. My southern drawl is present no matter what. Can’t and don’t care to change or try to hide it.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Ant4AU]

I am right there with you. I am a texas man born and raised. My accent is thick enough that I can not even attpemt to mimmick another accent, it just comes out sounding wrong and mockish....

Like you I do not want to change my accent. I am proud of my Texas heritage and proud of my accent!

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Nothing wrong with it at all. I just can't understand where I get it from.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The first nine years of one's life are formative, especially with respect to language. I would consider it perfectly normal for Ms. Anderson to speak in her native accent.

As for the thread topic, I switch accents - and modes of speech - all the time. Not to be rude - nothing could be further from my thoughts - but to reduce national, class and ethnic differences. For a while back in the Nineties I worked as a moderator and facilitator in the international development-aid community. You deal with bureaucrats and politicians from all over the world, some of whom can barely speak English and all of whom are very conscious of their status and agenda. If you can't be a bit of a conversational chameleon, you can't do the job.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

I've noticed that people who have the ability to pick up and mimic the accents they're exposed to usually also have an ear for music

I don't know if there have been any studies done on any of this - this is just from my personal experience - I've known a couple people who do this

and it used to embarrass one of them as much as it does you - it happened without any thought on her part

and her accent was never silly or corny - but it was always obvious

I wonder if some people aren't just set up to hear and match sound/tone better than others

and Gillian Anderson is an actress - I'd think it would make sense for her to have some kind of natural ability

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Hillbilly cracker accents are funny....

www.youtube.com...

I find my personal reaction to peoples accents to be a terrible way of me making broad generalization as to their personality and/or intellect. Not Good!!!

Many People here in the SW are bilingual and have the most charming accent mixing both Spanish and English idioms, phrases and syntax.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
The first nine years of one's life are formative, especially with respect to language. I would consider it perfectly normal for Ms. Anderson to speak in her native accent.

She is native to Chicago, IL.
Didn't move to London until she was two. It wouldn't be an annoyance to me if she were actually British.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

the Scottish accent has to be one of the most beautiful - a personal favorite

I could just listen forever...

even if I haven't got a clue what they're saying - which is often

:-)

is it as difficult ever to make out what an American with a thick accent is saying - for instance southern, or Brooklyn let's say?

I love all accents - and it seems that in this country the regional sounds are disappearing and it's becoming more and more a generic American accent

too much TV maybe - and people do move around more than they used to

[edit on 4/27/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

[edit on 4/27/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join