It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Chit folks:
Local news preview on in the background just said:

"Two students in a San Antonio school have been diagnosed with the mysterious flu found to have originated in Mexico...details at 6pm"

Chit...it's here,once it's in a school-system,things tend to spread RAPIDLY!!!

Will try and get more details in a bit.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

" Does the creepiness ever end!?? Of course his name is on this article!! His hands seem to be on everything else evil right now
!

All day I thought about the economy while planning my weekly "prep trip" to the store tonight, only to read about this flu all day too! As if that's not enough there is the Webbot thread too (ok, don't yell, I'm just sayin!!) and it's dire material!!
What a week to have an upper respiratory infection, to hear about this flu outbreak! I haven't heard a thing on the local news, unless I missed it while at "big box" tonight. Is there anything new other than the articles from today??"

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
*sounds like* they might have a plan...

WHO ready with antivirals to combat swine flu
in.reuters.com...

GENEVA (Reuters) - The World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Friday that it was prepared with rapid containment measures including antivirals if needed to combat the swine flu outbreaks in Mexico and the United States.

The Geneva-based agency has been stockpiling doses of Roche AG's Tamiflu, known generically as oseltamivir, a pill that can both treat flu and prevent infection. But health authorities in the two North American countries have the resources required already in place, including Tamiflu, and are "well equipped", according to the WHO.

"WHO is prepared with rapid containment measures should it be necessary to be deployed," WHO spokeswoman Aphaluck Bhatiasevi told Reuters.
More at Links...

Experts Debate Pandemic Potential of Swine Flu
abcnews.go.com...

A top federal health official said the government's concern over the swine flu outbreaks in the United States and Mexico has grown since Thursday -- and a handful of influenza experts worry the deadly, never-before-seen hybrid strain may spur a pandemic.

Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said that health officials confirmed yet another U.S. case of swine flu in California today, bringing the total number of Americans infected with the disease to eight.

Though it is still too early to say for certain whether a swine flu pandemic is possible or likely, the cases, all of which have occurred in California and Texas, have aroused concerns among the public, Besser acknowledged.

[edit on 4/24/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Oh crap! Here we go! Once the college kids get stuff it's all over the place! Yes, please let us know about this! I have some relatives in Houston and if I can reach them I'm going to see what they have heard!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I'm just going to say it.

Myself and everyone I know was just sort of done with the doom thing. Been there, done that. So much to worry about that we started to not worry so much because most of it must certainly be hype. Now this.

It's just all too coincidental for me and I don't believe in coincidences.

So... if you are trying to crash the economy and people have saver's remorse from hoarding their money and are ready to enjoy the spring and summer by doing things and going places...what better way to stomp on that than freak them all out with fear of a pandemic and convince them all to stay locked up in their homes.

I'm not saying the threat isn't real, I'm just saying it's convenient for those with an agenda.

[edit on 24/4/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Now all those illegals crossing over bring it in here by truck fulls.
A lot of them in my town , and will probably hit here fast.

Ugggg.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

What I don't get is why so many believe every new Flu that comes along is manmade and part of a conspiracy? Disease is a part of the Natural World as well. Without at least a tiny bit of evidence to immediately think this is manmade is a bit paranoid.

I caught the Swine Flu last time it swept throught the US in 1976 I think. I was a young fit man and it nearly killed me. I had a 105 fever for days. The whole thing is a blur and I was out of it most of the time.

My Mothers two best friends died the same week. My Mother was the only one who had the vaccination as she had a bad heart and got the shot in the first round. I have no doubt it saved her life.

It seems as though people have so forgotten how deadly Mother Nature can be that they now suspect every disease that comes along as being manufactured. I can't find the logic in that.

Who died would be to hard to control. I see this as the last thing they might try if in fact for some reason the Government wants to kill everyone. Why would they kill all the workers? So they could do the work themselves?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I like the logical thinking there mate, diseases and viruses are apart of mother nature i think personally that it is a way to deal with over population, You have to ask yourself what the purpose of a virus is. It is mother nature's way of keeping things in check

Juat because it harms mankind doesnt mean it was formulated BY mankind if that is the logic people are using then you could say the same about anything, natural disasters,wars,famine i suppose that is the mindset you deal with on a conspiracy website

Things come and go on this planet thats the way it is, im sure the dinosaurs had this very same discussion before they got wiped out

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Reading

Now you have got me imagining a conversation between Dinosaurs.

You gave me an idea for an image, thank you. I've got to get off this Internet.

The last time the Swine Flu came through was pretty scarey. I don't think we were ever told the true numbers that died. In my small realm I remember about a dozen. All Seniors.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Um...ok...right...

My little Nanite has earned his bucky ball carbon treat tonite...

Now follow the yellow brick road, as in my reasoning pathways...

Sweet blog special: Obama gets nailed for stock deal. Blind trust not so blind?
blogs.suntimes.com...

WASHINGTON--In about 30 minutes, White House hopeful Barack Obama has a press conference in the Capitol. The freshman Illinois Democrat and Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) skedded the newser to tout a bill to freeze immigration fees bringing in the leaders of Latino empowerment groups concerned about the plight of immigrants.

However, this event, designed to introduce legislation Gutierrez and Obama have been working on for months, will be overshadowed by a page one story in the New York Times questioning the credibility of Obama's blind trust. Turns out Obama bought stock in little known companies whose investors included some of his major donors.
More at Links...

SkyTerra Establishes Nationwide Public Health Satellite Talkgroups
news.moneycentral.msn.com

“The Department for Public Health is excited about the partnership with SkyTerra to offer this national interoperability solution for public health,” said Drew Chandler, IT and communications manager for the Kentucky Department for Public Health. “While not traditionally viewed as a response agency, we must be able to communicate in order to provide essential services. This is especially true during emergencies because the ability to perform has a direct impact on the health and well-being of our citizens.”
More at Link...

AVI BioPharma Reports Confirmation of Efficacy Against Influenza Strains
www.redorbit.com...

~

Taken together, these data confirm efficacy observed with the H1N1 strain previously reported from Drs. Jianzhu and Chen Qin Ge at Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston and now represent positive reports from four laboratories using different endpoints and methodologies.

~

AVI is also conducting collaborative animal studies evaluating NEUGENE efficacy against influenza strains at Tulane University in New Orleans and at the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Disease (USAMRIID) in Frederick, Maryland.
More at Link...

Army: 3 vials of virus samples missing from Maryland facility
www.cnn.com...

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Missing vials of a potentially dangerous virus have prompted an Army investigation into the disappearance from a lab in Maryland.

The Army's Criminal Investigation Command agents have been visiting Fort Detrick in Frederick, Maryland, to investigate the disappearance of the vials. Christopher Grey, spokesman for the command, said this latest investigation has found "no evidence of criminal activity."

The vials contained samples of Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis, a virus that sickens horses and can be spread to humans by mosquitoes. In 97 percent of cases, humans with the virus suffer flu-like symptoms, but it can be deadly in about 1 out of 100 cases, according to Caree Vander Linden, a spokeswoman for the Army's Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases. There is an effective vaccine for the disease and there hasn't been an outbreak in the United States since 1971.
More at Link...

New Strain Of Swine Flu Emerges In California
www.redorbit.com...

~

Historically, the CDC has recorded roughly one case of human infection with the swine influenza every one to two years. In the last few years however, that statistic has seen a dramatic increase, as more than a dozen cases of human infection have been identified since 2005.

Experts believe that the jump in recorded cases of human infection can likely be attributed to technological improvements in diagnosis techniques as well as an expansion of health care facilities able to test for the disease.
More at Link...

And before Y'all flame me in to char-broil...Try reading through the articles carefully...

Do you see what I see...la la la la la la...
/tinfoil

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Yo Dah!!!

The end result of influenza is severe,sometimes fatal pneumonia.
Can you say SARS?.

No Hooey,really.

When people die from influenza,they die from complications of the disease,and it is usually PNEUMONIA!.

The 1918 Flu pandemic was so deadly because there were very few treatments for pneumonia at that time,there was a rapid onset of pneumonia after infection.

And I believe it was the SWINE FLU,wasn't it?.

Don't let the media whip you into a frenzy so.

You all have health insurance don't you?.

Well maybe not,........

Welcome to america.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
"Scientists are baffled and deeply worried by the latest outbreak of swine flu for two reasons: It appears to combine bird, swine and human viruses in a way that hasn't been seen before, and it is spreading from person to person"

yikes.... is this the first salvo?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

You're absolutely right, it might be completely natural - probably is.

But funny, it's coming from the closest and most ill-managed country in our region, one which is on the verge of anarchy and which, despite out-right demands by much of our citizenry, has a border that is utterly out of control.

...And let's not forget just six weeks ago ATS was in an uproar about how Baxter mixed samples of the most deadly strain of flu in their vaccine samples.

...And how Ft. Detrick is currently inventorying their biological specimen samples after it was found that samples of Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis turned up missing. Did I mention that 21 horses (just so happens they're from Venezuela) keeled over in a mysterious episode last week?

But you're right, probably just us crazy tin-hattys worrying too much.

Edit: Or what Hx3 said....

[edit on 24/4/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Star 4 U!

Just to clarify one of Mr kosmicjack's references...

Vaccines As Biological Weapons? Live Avian Flu Virus Placed In Baxter Vaccine Materials Sent To 18 Countries
cantontruth.blogspot.com...

There’s a popular medical thriller novel in which a global pandemic is intentionally set off by an evil plot designed to reduce the human population. In the book, a nefarious drug company inserts live avian flu viruses into vaccine materials that are distributed to countries around the world to be injected into patients as "flu shots." Those patients then become carriers for these highly-virulent strains of avian flu which go on to infect the world population and cause widespread death.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied

Do viruses randomly combine and mutate?

Absolutely they do. But of course, there are ways of "enhancing" and finetuning the natural rate of mutation.

As to the safety of vaccines, I'm a pharmacist, and frankly I don't trust them. Here is (yet another) wonderful technology, potentially of great benefit to humanity, plundered by the puppetmasters for their own purposes.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
We die if we die, not worried personally. Life is but an illusion.

On the other hand, it doesn't really appear to be pandemic yet, but who knows it can happen.

I guess TPTB got tired of using Al Qaeda to scare people, you need a new bogeyman every so often you know?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reposting from the other thread because I believe this is a major development...

"Ok, does this ramp up your concerns?

If mini outbreaks like this continue to occur over the next few weeks it will be very tense times...

NEW YORK (AP) - New York City health officials say that about 75 students at a Queens high school have fallen ill with flu-like symptoms and testing is under way to rule out the strain of swine flu that has killed dozens in Mexico. The Health Department's Dr. Don Weiss said Friday that a team of agency doctors and investigators were dispatched to the private St. Francis Preparatory School the previous day after students reported fever, sore throat, cough, aches and pains. No one has been hospitalized. The handful of sick students who remained at the school were tested for a variety of flu strains. If they're found to have a known human strain that would rule out swine flu. Results could take several days. In the meantime, the school says it's postponing an evening event and sanitizing the building over the weekend.

www.wten.com..."

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

You're absolutely right, it might be completely natural - probably is.

But funny, it's coming from the closest and most ill-managed country in our region, one which is on the verge of anarchy and which, despite out-right demands by much of our citizenry, has a border that is utterly out of control.

For a moment there I thought you were talking about the USA.

Anyway to much doom and gloom on this site.The ability to locate and dispense information over all types of media has created a society that is both well informed but also ignorant of the truth.

This is no where near a pandemic and I doubt it becomes one.
It is late in the season.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mexican against NAU

How recommended is TAMIFLU?

At best, Tamiflu is SLIGHTLY effective. In fact, when it was first reviewed by an FDA panel, the panel recommended AGAINST approval, due to it's lack of efficacy.

However, the FDA reluctantly approved it, citing the fact that it was the first of a new and promising class of antivirals. As a general rule, the FDA likes to encourage research. If they had chosen NOT to approve it, drug companies would understandably be reluctant to risk a billion dollars researching other new drugs in this class.

Tamiflu can potentially change a 5-day flu into a 4-day flu, IF it is started within 24-48 hours of the onset of symptoms. After day 2, it is known to be useless.

The FDA was also persuaded by the argument that in an institutional scenario such as a nursing home, during a flu outbreak, Tamiflu MIGHT save a few lives if started soon enough. There is no proof of this, however.

Bottom line for Tamiflu: why bother? Don't waste your money.

I'm a pharmacist in my day job.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join