It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation - where to start?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
To each his own. Me I just don't have years and years to learn how to do it effectively, and I like the notion of being taken directly into waking delta, where the unconscious material can be accessed and processed.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Fair enough, and like you said - each to their own. I'm just not sure that I trust technology created by an unknown guy to put my mind into a meditation state, or any sort of technology really.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
I've began trying to work out where to start again and can't quite find it.
I think I am meant to begin with Shinay?

As is always the case with these things the answers are within ourselves.

Shinay is what you are looking for.

As many jump into chakras, deep visualisations, subject/object etc, On my path for many years, I have tried to practise it in life, when making a cup of tea seeing or rather thinking about the clouds that make it up, being aware of interdependance etc. Also just always bringing myself (well most of the time lol otherwise would be enlightened!) to the NOW. when getting caught in projections of the future, and past, and trains of thoughts, just feeling the now, the experince of the NOW.

I have been surprised at times when meeting people doing many years of weekly or formal classes, and yet seem to have a better meditation experience than them, more control and mindfullness, it is I beleive as I have being doing this in a large part of my life since my early teens, over 20 yrs.

Recently this has been confirmed to me by a Tibetan Lama, (Shinay he finds the best and most useful, especially for beginners) He has spent over three years in retreat, after starting meditation at the age of 11, and being an official teacher and holder of many types of mind yoga, he recommends this.

Mindfulness. Shinay. Now. And yet he can in his minds eye create images and visualisations that only around .01% of the population could dream of, he really can meditate on anything for long periods and in total clarity, he knows them all to, is very gifted, but for him at his highly realised level Shinay is best, and for beginners he says Shinay for many years is best first before other types, a non calm mind can not meditate on other types, objects chakras etc properly.

Only Shinay can bring a calm mind.

Kind regards

Elf

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Thanks Elf, starred. I should have known to look within me. I think one must already know the answer before he asks the question. I will start with Shinay.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
It is, to find in what fields you are allready meditating. Ones are allready in meditation. Just go on with the things you do.

Do unto another as to yourself, and do to yourself as you would do unto another. Leave matters of trouble aside. That is Force!

Be Just!! that is in fact what it is. Is another unacceptable and forces you to give, ignore, it is just to be just and what you know best! that is it. What you know what is best for you, that is the road to go on, it is very simple in fact and should not be looked further than that, that is what comes out of meditation. blessed be, congrat!

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
What is that is with all surrounding stupidititness one almost starts to wonder if yourself is good enough and all, that's a trick! One is good.

Everyone knows that which si good and which hurts or is ungood. Prosperity lies within this. To choose good is to receive good on this fact.

those that trie to force upon one thing trickery is falsehood. Jesus was harressed too with this selfish fools. they have no life and don't enjoy the fruits of Life. Ignorants? No. False, yes.

grutn

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Meditation is great!

I'm with Mandroid - think about yoga. There are a bunch of different styles of yoga, though, and some are more meditative than others. It's as much about philosophy/meditation as it is being bendy.

In particular you might want to research these specific types of yoga:

Integral Yoga
Kripalu Yoga
Sivanada Yoga

But why not look into a local place that teaches Yoga, Tai Chi, or QiGong? Even park districts offer these things at a discount.

Think about exploring Pranayama & Mudras. Most people find it easier to meditate when you have more than one thing to focus on (rather than a thousand intruding thoughts) - Pranayama is focusing on your breathing, and Mudras are basically yoga for your hands.

www.abc-of-yoga.com...

healing.about.com...

A great Zen-Yoga-theme blog with lots of good tips:
thehealthylivinglounge.com...

Good luck! it's a great practice. I've been meditating for a few years now. When I started I figured I'd never be "any good at it." After a while I finally realized it wasn't a competition

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Lots of good advice here. I've meditated for years. I must have tried every single school out there. I had a lot of good results, but I can honestly say one of the most powerful emotional centering tools I've found is going onto a high raw food diet with lots of superfoods. Changed my life completely- beyond recognition. People have no idea what the body can do if it's given the right fuels.
From thereon, when I stuck to the diet, meditation was easy, and worries, anger fear etc fell away. I'm now starting to do simple bliss out mediations with good results.

Check out David Wolfe and Gabriel Cousens.

I can't believe that I spent so long trying all these silly techniques without looking closely at my diet. I wish I'd started this when I was 20...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

You make a great point. I'm not a "health food militant" but but I choose whole foods and avoid junk. You gotta give your body good fuel! A simple lifestyle change is to start taking a probiotic daily. Excess sugar in particular clouds your mind and a probiotic can help with that.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterybee

Yes, and interestingly enough 90 per cent of Serotonin is in your gut, so enlightenment is directly related to the health of your intestinal tract.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Funny enough of all the things I knew about our guts I didn't know that about your gut being filled with serotonin

Well then I bet you then already know that our hearts are full of neurons!

Ahh the things one learn when you set out to learn about meditation

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   

that is a fact. That is which is mentalism. profound!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterybee

Well then I bet you then already know that our hearts are full of neurons!

Actually I didn't, but that's really interesting... Know any good places I can read about this?

I know that the hearts electrical field is dozens of times stronger than the brain's- This link explains a bit about it.
abrizal.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave

that is a fact. That is which is mentalism. profound!

don't mess with mentalism.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
[edit on 27-4-2009 by etherical waterwave]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join