It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will A Flat Earth Creationist Explain This To me?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by swolleneyeball

Hovind is the "father" of the Hovind Factor, a way of determining just how much BS you can crowd into one statement. Google it to see how much respect he has with the real world (non-fundies.)

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

Hovind is the "father" of the Hovind Factor, a way of determining just how much BS you can crowd into one statement. Google it to see how much respect he has with the real world (non-fundies.)

Wow i checking into it and holy crap (no pun intended)
hes really out there,hopefully hell at least make some cash doing it cause i know i cant see him being able to go about things like a normal person now.

How awesome would it be if one of his kids became an anthropologist?!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by swolleneyeballWow i checking into it and holy crap (no pun intended)
hes really out there,hopefully hell at least make some cash doing it cause i know i cant see him being able to go about things like a normal person now.

One of his spawn pretends to teach a science class somewhere. Probably Oral Roberts. It's just more of his father's babble, "creationism in a cheap suit."

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Absolutely, the ball rolls back and not only does the ball roll back, I can feel the bus moving, even though I am moving with it. Even dogs know this, but they are to busy trying to stick there heads out the window to care.

The effect you feel on the bus is acceleration. When the bus stops accelerating, put the ball on the floor. It will not move unless there are bumps on the roads or the floor is slightly inclined.

Ok, I'm jumping up into the air going west with my Jordans strapped tight and because I'm wearing Jordans I can hang in the air for an hour. The earth should move underneath me should it not?

Same principle as the bus example. According to you, you should be crashing through the back window of the bus if you jumped upwards.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Ok, I'm jumping up into the air going west with my Jordans strapped tight and because I'm wearing Jordans I can hang in the air for an hour. The earth should move underneath me should it not?
Oh, my, that one's funny. Does anyone really think they would stop rotating at the same speed as everything around them just because they jumped up in the air? (Google "relative velocities".)

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

Originally posted by swolleneyeballWow i checking into it and holy crap (no pun intended)

One of his spawn pretends to teach a science class somewhere. Probably Oral Roberts. It's just more of his father's babble, "creationism in a cheap suit."

no i meant like when compleatly agiest his father and was like "no i chose to follow the laws of basic reason and science, plus your a bit of a nutter"

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I have a qs for Flat Earth believers and apologies if it has been answered or rah, rah but I'm new to this...

I was just wondering, if the Earth is flat and constantly moving upward... Why do we not connect with clouds or for that instance, get any closer to planes that are flying over?

Was just wondering...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Close thread. Do you realize how many things wouldn't be possible if the earth was actually flat?

It is my understanding that flat earthers believe the earth is constantly moving upwards which causes the effect of gravity. The main problem with this is satellites. How could your cell phone or GPS work if the earth is flat? You can't just send a satellite up with infinite fuel to keep accelerating upwards. Plus if we are in a fixed location just moving up, then how do you explain the stars rotating around the earth and the Sun, the moon phases, the rest of the planets are round, etc etc. Nothing makes sense with a flat earth. It is the silliest theory I've ever heard. Even hollow earth is rational compared to this. This is in the wrong section, however. Instead of making a list of inconsistencies, prove the earth is flat. Have you ever ridden on an airplane and traveled from North America to China, Then China to Japan, Then Japan to North America? You CAN head the same direction the entire time and the fact that you end up back in America proves it. Plus the countless pictures from space, Einstien's theory of relativity and every thing else wouldn't work with a flat earth. There's a reason objects need to reach orbital velocity to exit the earth's gravity.

BTW, if you have a perfectly level surface and the bus is moving 40 miles per hour, THE BALL WILL NOT MOVE unless the speed changes or makes a turn. This is the basic law of momentum. You can't jump and expect the earth to move under your feet, just like if you jumped on a moving bus, you wouldn't crash into the back window, because you are already moving with the bus. The fact that we live on a huge mass like the earth, slows down our perception of time, which is why we don't really feel the earth rotating even though its rotating at 1000 mph at the equator. This is much much worse than disputing evolution, although it fits in the same category. A bunch of nutjobs disputing scientific fact. We've sent probes to other planets and filmed earth from space. Let's get realistic here.

I believe that we are told the earth is a sphere floating in a vacuum (I don't think people remember what vacuums do) simply to make people feel trapped and worthless on top of being nothing in comparison to the awesomeness of the vastness of the huge and ever expanding universes that are 46 billion light years away in a 13.6 billion year old universe. Simply to make you feel helpless and insignificant. It cuts off your true potential as a creator.

What could the powers that be possibly gain if they have no fear to exploit via religion? Why would it be more beneficial for them to convince people we aren't unique to the universe (and we are obviously not)? I don't feel trapped and worthless, do you? I can't see that as a logic reason at all, especially when the government can exploit fears and actions by having people follow a religion and think they are special.

Don't they fly North and arc over rather then fly strait across the ocean? It cuts time and is actually shorter to go north as opposed to flying directly there? Tell me how this is impossible on a flat earth?
It's simple. The earth isn't actually a perfect sphere. It's more of an ellipse. If you fly around the equator it will take much longer because you are going around the longest part of the earth. If you fly near the north pole, it saves time precisely because the earth is an ellipse. If it was flat, none of it makes sense, plus you can follow the sun as it rises and sets. On a flat earth this would never happen. This is why jetlag is a real thing.
edit on 20-12-2011 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2011 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I'm not a flat earther, but the other day I saw a video of a camera on a weather balloon. It hit a certain point and it started spinning. It appeared at this moment that the curve of the earth bent back so it was more like a saddle, at times a sine waves, and then a curve again. It went from concave to convex and back on the journey. So it would appear the curvature could be an optical illusion of bending light or something??

But I don't think there has been evidence that the world is not flat. If a flat earther wants to prove me wrong, do the following. Get a compass and go to magnetic south and north. To travel westward around the world and back where you came from and eastward. To go north around the world until the only direction is south, and southward until the only direction is north, and to circle around in the same direction. You should discover some new land or edge of the world by doing this. Document your findings then report back. If you can video tape the journey and find evidence that the world is not flat, I will be happy to change my assumption that it is a globe.
edit on 8-1-2012 by secretbonus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Flat Earthers are, almost by definition, Creationists but the Creationists themselves have gone to enormous lengths to deny that their numbers include any Flat Earthers. Sort of ironic considering that Creationists, lacking solid scientific support, keep bleating about the "necessity" of showing both sides, etc., but they won't extend that to the Flat Earthers.

Flat Earthers have, over the decades, conjured up all sorts of convoluted arguments to explain away the obvious evidences of a globe. Usually it was something about optical illusions and that the sea level is not really level and so forth. These arguments persuaded some people up to about 150 years ago, but since then the invention of the Montgolfier balloons, then the airplane, then the spaceship, pretty much reduced the Flat Earthers in the English-speaking world to a handful of loonies plus an enormous number of sensible people who subscribed to their magazine for laughs.

There's a chapter about them in Martin Gardner's Fads & Fallacies in the Name of Science.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

What exactly is a "flat earth" creationist?

Do they actually exist?

And if they do... do they live in a bubble?

Seriously... get with it...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join