It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court rejects Obama bid to stop wiretapping suit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Court rejects Obama bid to stop wiretapping suit

www.911blogger.com

The Obama administration has lost its argument that a potential threat to national security should stop a lawsuit challenging the government's warrantless wiretapping program. A federal appeals court in San Francisco on Friday rejected the Justice Department's request for an emergency stay in a case involving a defunct Islamic charity.

Yet government lawyers signaled they would continue fighting to keep the information secret, setting up a new showdown between the courts and the White House over national security. The Obama administration, like the Bush administration before it, claimed national security would be compromised if a lawsuit brought by the Oregon chapter of the charity, Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation, was allowed to proceed.

Now, civil libertarians hope the case will become the first chance for a court to rule on whether the warrantless wiretapping program was legal or not. It cited the so-called state secrets privilege as a defense against the lawsuit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blog.wired.com
www.bloomberg.com
rawstory.com
www.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Secret Patriot Act II and possibly 111 Destroys What is left of American Liberty

[edit on 17-4-2009 by News And History]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
The world-government wants to take away our privacy. We should know that having privacy is part of being free. Of course, the occult-world government wants to take all of that away from us.

We must continue to fight for our common rights. The government doesn't even work for us. It's like a beast (an inhumane & irrational system). We have to destroy this beast (get rid of it), or it will terrorize & dominate the general population for the remainder of our lives.

We have to win. They have to lose.

www.911blogger.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-4-2009 by News And History]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by News And History

Obama was a constitutional law lecturer. Someone needs to remind him about the constitution. This is good. I agree, we must fight.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by News And History

Obama was a constitutional law lecturer. Someone needs to remind him about the constitution. This is good. I agree, we must fight.

Weren't you one of the ones who said before the election that you believed Obama would not trample on the Constitution the way you thought Bush did?

Well, how about now?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
If he can release the Bush torture memos, why not this one?

Transparency is good, is it not?

Let's put it all on the table for all to see.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This is a step in the right direction. Hopefully, this will be heard in court and we can finally communicate with privacy, for the first time in about 8 years.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Security is a good thing. The only problem with security is that laws and standards are put into place. Sometimes these laws and standards can be used for good purposes. It's only when these laws and standards are used for bad purposes that they become something negative. Often times this happens a good deal of time after these laws and standards are put into place. That's just something to think about.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

No. You're either joking or very confused. I don't even vote for politicians. haha You have Obama in your avatar. Maybe I should act like you by making a random assumption, and accusing you of supporting him too.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Yeah, so I wasn't thinking in conspiracy terms at the time. I slowly realized that even if he was for change that he probably wouldn't be allowed to change by the powers at be. It's the power of mass propaganda by the MSM. What can you do? The MSM was manipulating everyone during the election season... not just people like myself.

new topics

top topics

join