It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope to acknowledge suffering at Canadian schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Pope to acknowledge suffering at Canadian schools

www.google.com

TORONTO (AP) — Pope Benedict XVI is expected to acknowledge abuse of aboriginals at Christian-run schools when he meets with survivors later this month at the Vatican, a spokesman for the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops said Wednesday.

From the 19th century until the 1970s, more than 150,000 Indian children were made to attend state-funded Christian schools as an effort to assimilate them into Canadian society. Nearly 75 percent of the 130 schools were run by Catholic missionary congregations.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper apologized in Parliament last year, calling the physical and sexual abuse of children at the schools a sad chapter in the country's history.

The pope plans to express regret when he meets with former students April 29, said Gerald Baril, spokesman for the bishops group. The delegation will be led by Phil Fontaine, national chief of the Assembly of First Nations, and Archbishop James Weisgerber, the conference president.

Baril and Fontaine said they didn't know whether Benedict would issue a formal apology.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
This is good news. I grew up in a rural area with lots of aboriginal people and know their suffering from talking to those who went through this, and the results are not pretty. I know one family were 3 out of 4 brothers commited suicide after re-finding one another after years of seperation and discussing their experiences. Three of them obviously could not live with it after recounting their suffering.

I have been looking for a good 10 minutes for a article about thousands of missing aboriginal children who never re-emerged from these schools after being forced into them. It could be the largest case of genocide in Canadian history. Who could even think of Canada and genocide in the same sentence. Alas I can't find it right now but will post it ASAP.

I personally know this will help alot of suffering people get over their experiences and hopefuly start to live normal lives, not living nightmares. I feel this apology was due sooner, but better late than never.

www.google.com

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

This is good news. I grew up in a rural area with lots of aboriginal people and know their suffering from talking to those who went through this, and the results are not pretty. I know one family were 3 out of 4 brothers commited suicide after re-finding one another after years of seperation and discussing their experiences. Three of them obviously could not live with it after recounting their suffering.

I have been looking for a good 10 minutes for a article about thousands of missing aboriginal children who never re-emerged from these schools after being forced into them. It could be the largest case of genocide in Canadian history. Who could even think of Canada and genocide in the same sentence. Alas I can't find it right now but will post it ASAP.

I personally know this will help alot of suffering people get over their experiences and hopefuly start to live normal lives, not living nightmares. I feel this apology was due sooner, but better late than never.

www.google.com

Cathlics walk around daily with the blood of millions gloriously splayed over their hands, spouting their righteousness.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Hidden From History: The Canadian Holocaust

The time has come to end our complicity in mass murder.

Our exposure of the Canadian genocide has simultaneously indicted the social order that gave rise to it. Euro-Canadian Christian society as a whole stands condemned in the dock alongside those persons who ran the Indian residential schools, sterilized and murdered children, spread smallpox, and dug mass graves.

Despite their best efforts to ignore this fact and contain the whole matter with pseudo “apologies”, the Canadian government and its partner Catholic, Anglican and United churches now face the same kind of historical reckoning that Nazi Germany did after its defeat in 1945: an awakening to their own criminal nature.

Heres the promised link. I will mention the catholic church was not alone in this, there were other responsible aswell but they do share the blame.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The leaders of Canada and England have a great deal to account for in this matter, as well as the Catholic church.

It seems regrettable that the Pope only acknowledges the suffering, and not the cold-blooded murder. These schools, at least most of them, were institutions like the death camps, with children taken against their families will.

I strongly suggest some intensive research by my fellow Americans, so that we can at least understand why it wasn't only them who decimated the local population, it seems to be a European maxim. We didn't do it ourselves, we were pushed like pawns on a chessboard, all with the remorseless intent of eliminating the people who's birthright entitled them to sovereignty which stood in the way of the trader merchants and Stuartites who came here specifically to rest anything of value from those who could not defend themselves, and were naive enough to trust them.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

That is a pretty extreme website. It calls for the abolishment of the Canadian military and a retrogresive tax on churches for all money taken since their inception in Canada. It is attitudes like that which will ensure nothing will done about this. These people should be putting forwards ideas that could be accepted by the people of Canada and wouldn't involve forming a brand new government and redistribution of all land. You have to be reasonable or people won't listen.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by solusr
That is a pretty extreme website. It calls for the abolishment of the Canadian military and a retrogresive tax on churches for all money taken since their inception in Canada. It is attitudes like that which will ensure nothing will done about this. These people should be putting forwards ideas that could be accepted by the people of Canada and wouldn't involve forming a brand new government and redistribution of all land. You have to be reasonable or people won't listen.

I do not agree with everything the website calls for, but who can deny the anger and anguish of these people. I think some being unreasonable is parr for the coarse in this case. This is probably the most shameful secret in Canadian history, and reactions are bound to be extreme.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by FreeSpeaker]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Christian schools are brainwashing factories.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
Cathlics walk around daily with the blood of millions gloriously splayed over their hands, spouting their righteousness.

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Christian schools are brainwashing factories.

Relpies like these do not contribute to the discussion. Please post relevent and non inflammatory replies.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by FreeSpeaker]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This film deals with the subject -its one of the most truly disturbing things I 've ever watched.

The film did win many prestigious awards and brought the subject
to international attention -perhaps that is why the pope is now
addressing it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks Karl 12

I had forgotten to link the documentary.

This is precisely the one I was thinking of. Excellent thread!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I'm just glad we've got the standardized education system in place so people aren't forced to go to these backwards Catholic schools like they did back then.

Next stop, we need to cut off the last bit of funding to these leftover remnants of religious schools. If they want to operate, let them fund themselves.
... we also need to stop recognizing them as official education facilities.

Allowing the religion to be a basis of education was and will always be a BIG mistake.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
This film deals with the subject -its one of the most truly disturbing things I 've ever watched.

The film did win many prestigious awards and brought the subject
to international attention -perhaps that is why the pope is now
addressing it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you very much for the video link Karl 12.

I've had time to watch about 50 minutes of the video and can't wait to see the rest. I've been aware of this since childhood due to where I lived for some time, and its been amazing how many fellow Canadians, or anyone else for that matter, have no idea what so ever that this atrocity ever happend. Wish I known of this documentary sooner so I could have enlightened some people.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Simple racism and the attempted destruction of a perceived underclass was probably the driving force behind this atrocious behaviour. That it carried on into the 1970's is shocking. I'll watch the film later when I get home but it brings to mind the Israeli irradiation of around 100,000 Sephardi Jewish children, which again was based on race and the perceived lower class viewpoint of the European Jewish settler power base. Once again, the people responsible were never brought to account for their part in it and even went on to hold high powered government positions (I believe Shimon Peres was part of the then Israeli government when this happened).

Apologies are hollow and do not even come close to making up for the suffering endured by the victims. Those people who took part need to be held accountable, no matter what position they hold in society.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Being an aboriginal myself, I do not even hear much about this. I'm too young to have attended the mandated schools, but to think my ancestors HAD to is quite disturbing. My grandparents are not around anymore, and they passed away when I was young so I never heard anything about it. I'm interested in knowing more and am going to watch that video.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by theknuckler
Being an aboriginal myself, I do not even hear much about this. I'm too young to have attended the mandated schools, but to think my ancestors HAD to is quite disturbing. My grandparents are not around anymore, and they passed away when I was young so I never heard anything about it. I'm interested in knowing more and am going to watch that video.

Most definitely watch the video. I'm not surprized that you haven't heard of this before despite being aboriginal, I found its not something that is talked of openly very often because the shame and guilt cuts deep.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker
Thank you very much for the video link Karl 12.

I've had time to watch about 50 minutes of the video and can't wait to see the rest. I've been aware of this since childhood due to where I lived for some time, and its been amazing how many fellow Canadians, or anyone else for that matter, have no idea what so ever that this atrocity ever happend. Wish I known of this documentary sooner so I could have enlightened some people.

No probs

It is quite surprising just how many people (including Canadians) are completely unaware of this 'religiously inspired genocide' that was occurring in Canada right up until 1970s.
The film is an excellent one and should be viewed by as many folks as possible
-great thread BTW.
Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
On the same subject, activist and singer Richard Desjardins made a very good movie about what the aboriginal endured in the past (and still do). The movie is called The invisible people I saw that in theaters last year in it's original french version, I think it has been translated and might be available in english. It's a eye-openner, at least it was for me.

It shows a lot of things that are wrong in the way we treat them, in 2009 there is still aboriginal villages that don't have potable water, they have to walk 10 km to get it ... in Canada .... the best country in the world (or so their leaders says...)

On the original topic, it is about time that the Vatican ask forgiveness for it's crime. It is only the tip of the iceberg, I feel the Vatican should be made to pay for what they did ... the pope should be tried for crime against humanity !

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by grandnic
The movie is called The invisible people I saw that in theaters last year in it's original french version, I think it has been translated and might be available in english. It's a eye-openner, at least it was for me.

Thanks for the link. I can't seem to find a english version, if anyone does please post the link, it would be most appreciated.

On the original topic, it is about time that the Vatican ask forgiveness for it's crime. It is only the tip of the iceberg, I feel the Vatican should be made to pay for what they did ... the pope should be tried for crime against humanity !

The vatican should pay some kind of restitution for their suffering, but to charge the current pope with crimes aganist humanity is as extreme as the webite I linked earlier, Hidden From History: The Canadian Holocaust, where they call for the abolishment of the Canadian military and a retrogresive tax on churches for all money taken since their inception in Canada.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Your right freespeaker. I'm Canadian, born in N.F.L.D. and raised in N.B. and Montreal and 10 yrs in T.O. I'm in my late 40's and I thought Canada to be one of the best, kindest and most fortunate countries in the world. Then about a year ago I saw that Documentary on the Priest in Vancouver and the Aboriginal children forced to go to these schools and abused and killed. I really felt bad and ashamed and stupid. I read papers,books and watch movies my whole life. I went to school, watched the news and thought i was informed. Granted this was before the internet and as we all know some things were able to be kept quiet in those days. So many bad things were done, I didn't know and I'm heartfully sorry to the Aboriginals. I guess the human race can be bastards everywhere. I still love Canada, I don't agree with the way we treat our natives now and then. I could make excuses and say a lot of this happened in a very young Canada ruled by the Brits and there would be historical fact to back this up but what are excuses when young children were killed. In fact in Nova Scotia we have a small town named Amherst. Named after a British General(?) that figured it was a good idea to hand out Smallpox laden blankets to the natives, his stated goal to kill them all. I guess it's too late to change the name. Canada also has skeletons in it's closets , like everywhere I guess. The day I found out about all this it really changed me inside.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join