It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona: Accepting Canned Food As Debt Payment!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure this won't get the attention it needs because I'm unable to source it at the moment. Regardless:

I was just watching ABC News from my home in Phoenix, and they have officially announced that they will be accepting non-perishable canned food items at $0.50 toward any state debt.

Considering this is a CS forum, I'm going to save my opinion on this topic until I've heard some others. All I know is we've been falling into a "food crunch" recently, due to the economic crisis/inflation vs. food supply.

The last thing I want to assume is that this COULD be intentional....

What do you guys think about this?

-Strype

P.S. I'll be keeping an eye out and surely source this as soon as it becomes available, if nobody beats me to it.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Strype

So, what do they plan to do with these canned items?

Could it be they will be used to feed the guests of sheriff Joe a better diet than green balogna?

I guess I'd have to see that news blurb for myself, or read an article about it before I can make a judgement.

Do you have a link to this news story?

edit to add:

Arizona is a funky place filled with a lot of wierdo's. I lived there for 7 years and the place just got to me. While I wouldn't say I hated it, I have no plans to even ever visit the place for the rest of my life, and I still have 2 sons living there. I do believe it is hell on earth. Nasty, nasty place.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Okay..calm down..here's the link:

www.abc15.com...

My city does the same thing!!
library fines guys!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Gyrochiral

interesting stuff ... not sure what to think as of yet ... doesn't surprise me though ... and here's the link that the person above posted ... it works

www.abc15.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by Strype

So, what do they plan to do with these canned items?

They didn't mention what they intend to do with the food. They were too worried about explaining how a kitten rescued from a well was not going to be put to sleep (as originally planned).

Could it be they will be used to feed the guests of sheriff Joe a better diet than green balogna?

No. According to Joe, they're lucky they're still getting green balogna (no joke).

I guess I'd have to see that news blurb for myself, or read an article about it before I can make a judgement.

Do you have a link to this news story?

Agreed. I don't expect anybody to go too far until it's been sourced correctly. I just wanted to post what I had heard before I hit the sack.

Arizona is a funky place filled with a lot of wierdo's. I lived there for 7 years and the place just got to me. While I wouldn't say I hated it, I have no plans to even ever visit the place for the rest of my life, and I still have 2 sons living there. I do believe it is hell on earth. Nasty, nasty place.

Heh, no comment. And it's not because I disagree.

Cheers.

- Strype

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101
reply to post by Gyrochiral

interesting stuff ... not sure what to think as of yet ... doesn't surprise me though ... and here's the link that the person above posted ... it works

www.abc15.com...

That story is from 3 days ago. I heard and read about that after returning home from work late Friday night. I have no reason to believe that these two stories are related, because there was nothing mentioned about libraries tonight. Thank you for checking sources, though, I definately appreciate that. Please keep checking the ABC site for me (if possible) as I'm going to bed shortly. I'd love to see that this is just a continuation of the prior story, but I'm a bit skeptical based on what was said tonight.

G'night all.

- Strype

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
.50 cents for each canned food item? People could take advantage of this and go the the grocery store and buy a couple thousand bottles of 29 cent baby food and trade them in to pay their state debt at .50 cents. If someone is thousands of dollars in debt, this could potentially save a couple grand. But yes it would be labor involved filling the cart and bringing them home.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
.50 cents for each canned food item? People could take advantage of this and go the the grocery store and buy a couple thousand bottles of 29 cent baby food and trade them in to pay their state debt at .50 cents. If someone is thousands of dollars in debt, this could potentially save a couple grand. But yes it would be labor involved filling the cart and bringing them home.

I'm still awake for some reason.

Great point wiredamerican, but something tells me that "financial support" on a scale this large (especially with malicious intent) would have taken this into consideration. I'd imagine there's a list, or some sort of guideline that would disallow anybody from gaining a "profit" from such a deal. Don't you think?

- Strype

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
OK, now I see that the government is the sneakiest entity to exist since the birth of the snakes. How dare they ask people to empty their pantries and cabinets to pay debts.

Doesn't anybody see that this is confiscation of the food supply which I said would happen in the thread talking about which states would fight off the gun confiscation. I do not think we should turn in our canned food or boxed cereals, just give them that radiation soaked beef that they try to sell us.

This is outrageous next I believe they will start on the medicine, everyone turn in a bottle of pepto and your neosporin.

Please do not give them your canned food, just last week two women knocked on my door and asked me to donate all the canned food I could. I didn't tell them I don't have any food to give because my meals are planned for the month and this is due to me being extremely orderly, so I could not donate food to their charity or whomever they intended the food for.

They don't want our guns anymore I can see, now its confiscation of food, medicine and bullets. Be aware and stay safe.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrangeJuice
OK, now I see that the government is the sneakiest entity to exist since the birth of the snakes. How dare they ask people to empty their pantries and cabinets to pay debts.

Doesn't anybody see that this is confiscation of the food supply which I said would happen in the thread talking about which states would fight off the gun confiscation. I do not think we should turn in our canned food or boxed cereals, just give them that radiation soaked beef that they try to sell us.

This is outrageous next I believe they will start on the medicine, everyone turn in a bottle of pepto and your neosporin.

Please do not give them your canned food, just last week two women knocked on my door and asked me to donate all the canned food I could. I didn't tell them I don't have any food to give because my meals are planned for the month and this is due to me being extremely orderly, so I could not donate food to their charity or whomever they intended the food for.

They don't want our guns anymore I can see, now its confiscation of food, medicine and bullets. Be aware and stay safe.

This is the type of response I was waiting for. Not that I can say I readily agree that this has malicious intent behind it, but if it does, the outcome can (and will be) horrendous.

I won't get into the governmental control of money because one can just view the several thousand threads regarding the subject. But, knowing that "debt" is purposely created in America, how could they possibly take away a "necessity" in order to pay back a debt that they've intentionally created in the first place!?

If that doesn't equate to slavery, I'm not sure what does!

- Strype

Edit: Sp

[edit on 13-4-2009 by Strype]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Strype

If Americans start buying all the canned goods in the store to pay off debt then those of us not in debt but dependent upon these foods to make it through the month will starve. Our local stores will be drained of non perishable food items for the sake of a mans property tax note being due.

Meat is very expensive and rarely lasts two weeks for those of us on fixed incomes. I can't believe this is even an option for debt payment. The best thing to do is start a garden if you haven't already and learn to use cans or glass jars.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Just for informations' sake, I have no debt whatsoever. In fact, I don't owe anybody anything. I just dread the thought of people on the verge of losing their home, being given the option:

"Roof or Food? Pick One"

That absolutely disgusts me.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Exactly, we are both thinking about the same thing. I can see the couple that just bought their home accidently getting in debt due to a medical issue or injury on the job and is forced to cut back on the luxuries plus basics then the government gives them an option of turning in their food or leaving their home. What a terrible decision to make but this seems to be happening so what can you do but plant a garden?

I have been fortunate enough also to stay out of debt and that's only because I think years ahead of my current situation and I have a hatred towards fashion trends and uneccessary what nots.

just for the record this thread is S n F by me

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrangeJuice
reply to post by Strype

If Americans start buying all the canned goods in the store to pay off debt then those of us not in debt but dependent upon these foods to make it through the month will starve. Our local stores will be drained of non perishable food items for the sake of a mans property tax note being due.

Meat is very expensive and rarely lasts two weeks for those of us on fixed incomes. I can't believe this is even an option for debt payment. The best thing to do is start a garden if you haven't already and learn to use cans or glass jars.

Perhaps you were part of this so-called NWO. Perhaps you were trying to persuade Americans that a global economy will solve all of our problems. Perhaps you're just part of the federal monoply and would do anything to gain additional control?

Would this not be a great exploit?

Poor (even middle class) people cannot pay bills or are forced to spend faster than they earn, resulting in debt:

"Since they have no money, lets (go for the throat and) allow them to pay us back with items that will literally kill them to lose. Since they can never pay back their entire debt at $0.50 per food can, they'll either remain poor or die. Meanwhile, we'll stockpile tons of free food for the coming shortage at the expense of people we care nothing about."

I'm normally not into the doom-n-gloom type stuff, but the idea wreaks of exploitation. Probably because I live here, but I think it's still thought for concern. You?

- Strype

Edit: Great replies, OrangeJuice, thank you for providing some great insight on the possible intentions of this OP!

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
You see how clever these people are every day that passes. I can not agree with you more. What the hell were people thinking about when they finally got that good paying job and they were only on the job for a few months or year then they decided to buy a house that would take 50 years to pay off. My sensors wouldn't let me do that ever. But I see not everyone is like me and still I do not want them to starve or me.

From what I can tell this plan has been in the works long before I was born and its working so well I can't believe it. We who are not in debt may suffer food shortages in the future because of the bad decisions by our neighbors, don't people think about what if I get sick or lose my job what then?

I don't know Strype, this is just my imagination at work.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Update: After recently refreshing the official ABC news page for over an hour, the cat story mentioned AFTER the OP has made the headline spot.

Gotta love MSM.

Cheers.

- Strype

Edit: Followed by a headline requesting people to d onate shoes to firefighters.

I'm going to bed.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Or this could set a precedent... if you have debts, the government will come in and take your food as payment... so there you'll have to rely on the government for food later when the situation becomes worse.

It'll be give up your second amendment for food... ect...

If all the states start doing that... we better watch out.

[edit on 13-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Strype

I won't get into the governmental control of money because one can just view the several thousand threads regarding the subject. But, knowing that "debt" is purposely created in America, how could they possibly take away a "necessity" in order to pay back a debt that they've intentionally created in the first place!?

If that doesn't equate to slavery, I'm not sure what does!

And to add, don't forget that a food item at .50 isn't just .50. Whomever purchased an item at that price paid tax on it. I guess the state might be getting crafty if they aren't collecting enough on purchases already. If something like this doesn't work, they will just up the state food tax.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Exactly. And since these items are non-perishable to begin with, I'd imagine that they will be sold again at some point, generating multiple tax payments on the same items. Talk about a corrupt system!

Cheers.

- Strype

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Rediculous idea...so peolpe who pay with canned foods, are bascailly paying for thier breakfast lunch dinner and snaktime breaks. Keep the food, send them money. Food is way more important.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join