It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Tobacco ... Now Soft Drinks ...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

How about petitioning your representatives to tax the bastards who PUT these unhealthy things into the food supply knowingly?
Instead of taxing the people who ALREADY pay 40% of their own money to the Government and who most likely do not REALIZE that High Fructose Cornsyrup is in virtually each and everything they eat!

Tax is a tax is a tax.
We pay enough of them already.

This is just another stab at getting more of it.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

So then you think that putting same sex marriage to a vote is okay then as well? It might not have to do with soda per say but it does have to do with voting. You cannot have it both ways either we get to chose things that are our human rights or we go by majority rules. Which is it?

So where does it end? Why not tax your internet usage by the minute or you television watching by the minute? After all how many people blimp up just sitting there? Better yet let’s charge people for their weight by pound or ounce I am light enough I can take it. Heck lets charge people for their cholesterol count. Maybe we should tax people who do not spend 15 hours a week or more in a gym. How about we tax people who do not watch educational shows every day. How about we tax people who do not have education going further than high school?

Or here is a radical idea maybe we should let people enjoy the few simple pleasures in their life they have that do not affect anyone else. How about you and everyone else that supports such a bill stay out of my life. If not expect me to start finding things in your life that I can screw with. How about I propose a tax on all people who do not shave off their body hair? After all hair helps many parasites cling to the body if you are not shaving it off your only making things worse for everyone else. You are a health risk by not shaving off body hair.

Maybe the voice of a few American people do not know what is best for others, ever think of that? I think that bars might cause more deaths and hospitalization than soda. How about shutting them down? Really if you want to drink grab your favorite beverage and sit at home. How about people getting off their self righteous high horse and stay out of other peoples lives?

Raist

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
well I smoke so I get the tax however this is no big suprise.Politicians spend thier time trying to figure out ways to reach into our pockets.They have pretty much run out of the things people are ignorant of like marriage licences.How many of you have a marriage licence?Do you really think George and Martha had one?Abe didn't have one either.Marriage licences were first instituted in the south to control mixed marriages.When the northern politicos saw this they could smell money so it became a standard.However it is not required.All you need is a family bible.Have your preacher make the entrys have it signed by a couple witnesses and it's a done deal.This is a common law marriage and it is acceptable.You have your wife or husband and god in the marriage why would you need or want the government in it to?The politicians in this country will not back off on any of this crap as long as the people aren't going to rise up.While I see some anger and it seems to be growing a bit most people subscribe to the ignorance is bliss ideal.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

But you are forgetting that smokers especially DO hamper the lives of others... Afterall, if you believe the globalists, we are footing their hospital bills!

Give me a break. That reasoning only exists because IDIOTS think that socialized health care is a good idea to begin with.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

You are preaching to the choir. I am a former smoker but quit because of my son and the cost. That was over three years ago.

I agree with you. Those few seconds around your smoke is going to kill them
I have to question if they are really that weak and scared or if they are mindless tools of someone else.

I just got done eating a big plate of BBQ ribs it was awesome, they melted in my mouth. Were they unhealthy for me? Probably, but I am healthy and will work off any harm I put in my body tonight. I am sick of these jerk off politicians and supporters of such bills invading our lives. I have yet to bother their life style or invade their life. I suppose it is time I start to get into their personal life and see what they think about it.

Raist

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well, if they are going to start implementing all these health taxes, then they should pay for nationalized health care. If it is ok to tax bad behavior, then health care should be part of the system.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I understand where you are coming from but it likely won't happen.

If it does, it will suck.

PS: Raist: I was being completely sarcastic with my last post. I agree with you.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I would have to say our current insurance system sucks big green donkey deeks. Why should for profit insurance plans through corporate sponsorship be tax free, and not all health care costs. Why can't I put money into a bank account tax free to save for heath care costs, instead of paying into crooked insurance companies, who I think pay off the corporations and scam the workers.

If we aren't going to make it tax free for everyone, then it shouldn't be tax free for anyone. Anyone who takes good care of themselves gets screwed. Might as well nationalize health care. Unless you are making very good money, you can't get decent care these days anyway. If they are going to continue down this road with sin taxes, then nationalize health care.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Under my current health plan at work (they say it is better but it is not) it does not even cover some medication. I do not go to the doctor yet every year my heath care has gone up taking away what little raise I used to get.

The current insurance companies are really doing nothing but stealing my money. But in the end I am screwed without their help. It really is a no win situation though. They should give perks or cut backs to those who do not use or use very little throughout the year at the end of the year. After all it is not like they are not making a killing as is.

PS: Jay-in-AR; I know you were being sarcastic. I was simply putting it out there for those who really think that way.

Raist

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Not sure... but i live in New York and i remember hearing Patterson talking about a year ago... i think its a little more than just speculation... its definitely going to pass

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This should come as no surprise , lest we forget they want to tax cow farts and breathing .

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Anyone remember that old expression, BOHICA? I'd say that pretty much sums up the current situation. Shut up and pee in the bottle.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vyrtigo
What a bunch of whining.

Oh, its so evil. They are taxing soda. Oh no, the world is coming to an end. Please... Not the soda... Please.... Not the soda...

I think you guys fail to realize the deficit America is trying to recover from thanks to BUSH, not obama. Stop complaining about every little tax that is implemented.

You guys sure did stay nice and hush hush when the gas prices shot up to 5 bucks a gallon. But wait... OH NO! Theyre taxing soda and making america healthier!!!!!!!!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!

Please do, just run for the hills, we dont need this kind of nonsense. We really dont.

Damn, if you don't beat all.

I take it you fall under the "genus obamanoid" species of Americas new holier than thou far left liberalcinderella who thinks a Government always knows whats best for us when whats best for us is a GD FREE COUNTRY!

One where if I feel like drinking a coke or having a smoke, I won't have to give the la-familia ala mafiamerican government their cut just to quench my damn thirst. Sure you might think it's a luxury and you might mock those who unlike you and your hallowed terminally self righteous sardonic sense of humor, thinks this tax is actually going to make Americans healthy while this is done to food and smokes that have additives well known to be addictive and that people will pay it anyway. Hell it's just a vice BUT IT IS MY VICE and YOUR vice is to cheaply enhance your self aggrandizing ego by belittling those this tax affects.

Then to head off any anticipated criticism of your new marxist leader, you blame a former president suggesting this is HIS fault.

No it isn't Bush's fault, this one falls squarely on the laps of people like you who voted for this rookie class clown. Here is a man who comes out of nowhere saying a few magic mantras of change we can believe in and yes we can, knowing not what his past was, answering no questions of the shady circle of friends and colleagues he surrounded himself with, bussing indigents in from other states to register in states he was not doing well in, making more millions in one month by $2.00 contributions sent to his website where he and a wife who had never had any pride in our country until her stepford husband was within smelling distance of the Oval office where she finally said she thought "HOPE was going to make a comeback.

I hate it when all anyone has left is HOPE.

what I really hate is people who mock folks so straddled with the responsibility of paying for the mistakes of the rich wealthy bankers YOUR PRESIDENT AIDED AND ABETTED in his complicity protecting fannie and freddie, having the un-mitigated audacity to suggest we were not patriotic not coughing up more taxes.

It isn't enough the American people are being taxed to the tune of $37,000 for each and every tax paying American to bail out every irresponsible banker and mortgage owner who didn't have the sense to say no to a loan he could never pay for.

No it isn't enough that this taxation comes without representation but by executive order and an adversarial senate.

It isn't enough that we have to do this by coercion but NOW we can't even BITCH about it when they tax what used to be just a damn pepsi!

When a Pepsi is the only luxury some of us can afford,, you think you got the right to tell us not to bitch while they whittle away at that too penney by penney till one day that change you could all believe in is all you got left in your pockets and when they ask for more and we tell em all we got is a pot to piss in,,,

Ill expect you, to be there in your Obama youth SS storm trooper garb saying well,, give me that.

and I'd give it to ya

I'd let ya have it

hehe

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Good, I hope they tax more things. All you rabid anti-smokers will realize that you don't have quite the blessed place in the universe that you think you do. Enjoy your just desserts.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Aermacchi

All that's left is hope? What are you smoking? This is the beginning of the end, buddy. There is no hope.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Has anyone ever seen a Corporate Long Haul Truck with a brand name Cigarette on the sides? No because they don't want you to know how or when they are delivered, I know because I asked a store clerk who then got a manager & asked me why I would need such information. I told him very politely to.....Well you know what I told him. Anyways these "Tea Parties" are great & all but unless we have some real ones, we're just going to be shoveled the same old dung.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
I just got done eating a big plate of BBQ ribs it was awesome, they melted in my mouth. Were they unhealthy for me? Probably, but I am healthy and will work off any harm I put in my body tonight.

Just curious, how does one "work off" the ill effects of beef hormone injections and
synthetically altered growth chemicals?

www.foodservicewarehouse.com...

Thanks, not picking a fight, just curious how you think a few hours at the gym will
allow you to escape the potential side effects of genetically altered meat products.

They sure are delicious when they "Fall off the bone" aren't they?

Regards...KK

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Raist, just for the South they are talking about a tax on big ole BBQ ribs. Especially in Texas.

I was just think about the movie in your avatar the other day, seems like we need some folks like that currently.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join