It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Tobacco ... Now Soft Drinks ...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
On the heels of the American public being hit with a massive tobacco tax increase, we now have this:

In a commentary released today (ahead of print) by the New England Journal of Medicine, Yale’s Kelly Brownell and New York City’s health commissioner, Thomas Frieden, argue that taxing sugary drinks could go a long way toward putting a brake on obesity. It won’t make fat people slim. But it could slow or prevent plump consumers from ballooning into obese individuals, they argue.

Brownell and Frieden are not proposing a little tax. They’re advocating something that would really catch consumers’ eyes on each grocery or restaurant receipt: perhaps a penny per ounce purchased. Each 32-ounce bottle of sugar-sweetened Coke, Mountain Dew, lemonade, sweetened tea or fruit punch, for instance, would rack up a 32-cent tax. A carton of 12-ounce cans would cost an extra $1.44. ScienceNews

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

And ...

New York City’s health commissioner has written an article advocating “hefty” taxes on sodas and sports drinks containing sugar. Such a tax, the article said, could be the biggest boon to public health since tobacco taxes.

The commissioner, Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, and Kelly D. Brownell of Yale University, his co-author, argue in the New England Journal of Medicine that a tax of a penny per ounce could reduce consumption by more than 10 percent and raise $1.2 billion a year in New York State alone. NYT

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

For all those amongst us that thought that outrageous tobacco taxes ware a good idea principally because you didn't smoke, allow me to introduce you to the chickens knocking at your door, I believe it is roosting season.

What does this mean?

It means that we are being programmed to accept to pay more for things that the government deems "not good" for us.

And before you say, well it's only one cent per can, what difference does it make? Let me remind you that tobacco taxes were also at first very low.

Once this process begins there surely is no end to it.

Think off all the other products that could be taxed in such a fashion under this shaky premise, really, think about it.

Also think about the fact that they're not talking about taxing aspartame which likely causes a lot more harm than sugar.

We are looking forward to the government legislating all our choices for us.

Smokers and drinkers knew it first, now the rest will know.

[edit on 9 Apr 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I for one am quite positive it is not soft drinks that cause obesity. A body burns that up in no time. The problem is processed food.Those who drink soft drinks tend to also eat a bunch of this crappy food. The skinniest people I know all drink a ton of regular soda and eat little processed food.

That said, it is diet sodas that could actually be a bigger problem. Our bodies know how to process sugar and corn syrup but fake sugars are another issue.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Not to be nit-picky but it's one cent per OUNCE not per soda.

And yes, when they implemented their tax on smokes and booze it just opened the door to more taxes on other items.

To those of you who cheered increased taxes on tobacco and alchohol, it's now YOUR turn. Ante up!

First Cigs and Alch. Now Soda. Next Burgers & Fries. Next Chips and Dip. Where does it stop?

We smokers complained about this but all we got was flack from the non-smoking people that "it's in your best interest because you cost US money!"

Well, if this goes any further and actually goes through, I feel for everyone. I'm not going to be as snippy to those affected as the non-smokers were to me when it came to my paying more taxes because I choose to smoke.

This isn't about my choices. This is about the government thinking they have the right to tax things that they deem unsuitable/unhealthy for the FREE American people.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
And it begins. First it's soft drinks then anything containing sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I for one am against any type of taxation beyond the measures already instilled in our world.

Income Tax, State Tax and Import/Export Taxes are enough.

The more they tax us the more there is a possibility that the people will rise up against it.

Seriously.

STOP TAXING US!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
This is rediculous...really it is.. IF thye really cared about obesity, theyde take the corn syrup out of soft drinks, NOT profit off others misery or un intentional health. They must really want the soft drink buisness to go under. I stopped drinking sfot drinks anyway, after learning coca cola is use to clean up blood,per many state troops.
water is all you need, and a requirment..soda isnt. Soda makes you thirstier, thus sonsuming more of thie product, thus=profits.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Do any of the politicians ever read a history book? Isnt this kind of crap exactly why we had the Boston Tea Party? Maybe we should all hijack some trucks full of soda, alcohol, and tobacco and drive them into Boston Harbor.

And what happened to taxation without representation being a problem. I dont feel like I am being represented. I feel more like I am being tied to a tree in that Deliverance movie. Its like I got Barney Frank (or insert politician here so I dont get accussed of gay bashing by some liberal) whispering in my ear.. "I'm a gonna teach ya ta squeal like a pig boyyyyy!!!

[edit on 9-4-2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
So, the tax money goes to what?
Increased awareness of obesity and health problems?
Health care?
How about to the farmers who grow food that is actually good for us?
Don't tell me you are raising the price of something because it's bad for me and you want me to make healthier choices when Milk, and Juice costs DOUBLE THE PRICE for 2 litres.
I won't stop buying it.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Give me an honest answer people really want to know. Did you really think it would stop with tobacco and housing and ammo ? Nope and it will get even worse soon just wait and see.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beach Bum

Give me an honest answer people really want to know. Did you really think it would stop with tobacco and housing and ammo ? Nope and it will get even worse soon just wait and see.

Nope, I knew it wouldn't end there and said so back when tabacco taxes were raised by the Fed. I knew it was just a matter of time.

Oh yeah, and if people really think it's going to stop here then they need to realize that taxes HAVE to be raised to cover all this new economic stimulus stuff that's going into effect.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by cnichols]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Indeed, We need to be taxed more heavily.

I can't pay them taxes FAST ENOUGH! How about you?

It just feels right.

Word to the wise.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
As long as everyone is in the mood to tax stuff, can we move to impose new taxes on companies that package their consumer goods in that impossible to penetrate plastic?

I HATE that stuff.

Tax the living crap out of that!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
What next ??? You get caught farting in public and cap and trade kicks in?
Where is your carbon credits? Flatulence and no carbon credit? That'll be a $5 fine sir. ($10 if it's in an elevator:lol

Seriously I believe that as a whole we will all just lay down and take it like a man, right up the ol' chute, just like always because for the most part the Johnny Q Publice is just too damn LAZY to do anything about it. Sorry, end rant now.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
We need a greed tax!
2nd line same as first except a little louder.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Hey careful, right now I work in plastic packaging and need the income lol. Of course not the packaging you are talking about but still plastic packaging. If taxes raise on that stuff my job could be pressed harder.

As far as this tax goes though it is nuts. I drink quite a bit of soda and I weigh 130 with an average of 12–16% body fat. My size tends to run in my family I barely gain weight at all. It has taken me 18 years to gain that many pounds. I think this is more liberal bull that is being shoved down our throats by so self righteous government jerk offs. If people really want to kill themselves rather slowly or quickly let them do it. I like my soft drinks; I stopped smoking because of my son and the taste. If they start taxing or taking my unhealthy foods I will be pretty upset. I could not afford cigarettes if I wanted to now so it is a good thing I quit. But by golly my fatty foods and soft drinks are one of my last pleasers I can put into my body.

Stupid nut case government health agents are worth my air they taking.

Raist

[edit on 4/9/09 by Raist]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I was at wally world the other day and a employee said that everything
is going up, why? could be to pay for the billions of dollars that the banks
and other instutions got.
wait until summer hits and the gas prices are over 4.00 -10.00 dollars per gallon.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Give me an honest answer people really want to know. Did you really think it would stop with tobacco and housing and ammo ?

Of course not.

Yet there are/were many many people who for some reason did.

Yet they are nowhere to be found as we speak.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Give me an honest answer people really want to know. Did you really think it would stop with tobacco and housing and ammo ?

Of course not.

Yet there are/were many many people who for some reason did.

Yet they are nowhere to be found as we speak.

Because now it's going to "possibly" affect them. I think they're in shock/denial? It's ok to tax those "sinners" who smoke and drink but *gasp* to tax Joe Q Public for wanting a soda pop? Say it ain't so!

I said when the tax increase was passed on Cigarettes that it wouldn't stop there. It may only be something they are talking about right now, but that's how the cigarette tax started out. As nothing more than talk.

[edit on 9-4-2009 by cnichols]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Let's not forget the states might want to add their own little tax to this also.

The greed of some people!!!.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Get ready because it will pass..this will not stop with soda it will cover everything sooner than later.They have to make up the losses in exports somewhere and well that means us.
You do know that there is an ORGANIC garden going in at the white house right? Yes our dear first lady insist's on it being organic just like the last 4 first ladies demanded that ALL food served in the white house be organic.
We all get the gmo and chemical ladden crap that is now going to be taxed to holy hell yet they eat all the "good" food. You know those organic apples that cost $4.99 a pound (usually per apple) or maybe some of those $11.99+ a pound cheese's. Wonder how long it will take them to tax those precious comod's the white house and rich enjoy's?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Yep, all I can say, is expect taxes to be raised on every thing big time.

they are just starting, first the tobacco, because that one, people would not scream and shout about, next soft drinks, which will cause a bit of an up roar. But people will be told "this is stuff not good for you" taxes, so they won't take to the streets, but.... wait until the milk and every other product has some hefty tax added.

TPTB, will make sure people are taxed to death, where there is no money left over for anything else.... taxes, that will become what we live and work for, to pay.

One after another tax will be introduced.

Edit to add: S and F for you!

[edit on 9-4-2009 by questioningall]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join