It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so cheap with the stars and points?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Ah poo poo. Since the thread has been moved no more stars. I like the suggestions made by some here for poo poo points...would POS points be too inflammatory? Thanks for the replies folks, I'm getting a better idea of how things work.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by X-tal_Phusion

I've read that if you join Twitter, follow the ATS Twitter page, then let one of the mods know, you'll get the 5,000 points that are needed to gain access to RATS.

If you want to gain points by "working" for 'em, you can always post breaking news stories in the "Breaking Alternative News" thread. I posted a couple stories there last week and my point total jumped up from 230, or so, to over 1700! I was pleasantly surprised!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I have been enjoying reading this thread, some really great postings.

But now I have a question..... what do stars actually do for you? Stars just say, "yeah, I like what I read" - right? So other than that.. why the big deal about stars?

Flags I know, is also for people who have like the thread and flag it for others to possibly take a look.

Nice humorous postings...here, so S for you, even if it is only in the posting.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Yeah, essentially, stars just show that you agree. Flags mean that you think others should have a look.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
thank you for destroying my country

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

No, you're absolutely right, Chris; stars are a little harder to come by lately.
When I first joined, stars were given out quite "liberally" . . .now, not as much.

I certainly agree with Zeptepi, about members who do not read the ENTIRE thread, before posting impulsively! (personally, I think those posts should receive a de-merit, also!)

In being a decent member, I still give them frequently.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
i dont really understand the points system i am really new here well iv been lurking for years but thats not really important i suppose, i made 2 threads since i been here and done abit of posting and my points are 7000 and something last time i looked? my points jumped up after making those threads. i also got applauded which was a pleasent suprise

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
No offense to ANYONE... but come on... as adults... do some of us actually care about ATS points?

Really? Tell me this is a joke and I just dont get it!

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Little One

I couldnt give a monkeys to be honest iv been lurking for years think of all the points i have missed OH NO!

I think the site creators implemented this because it drives people to post more because they want more points thus in turn driving profits through the roof ha

much in the same way x box live does with gaymer points

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Reading

Now YOU my friend could not BE any more right...

But I wasnt going to say it. I star you so much LMAO!

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   

well then applaud me and i will get 500 bonus points which means that i will have more points then before, which means my posts will automaticly be more valid than somebody with 2 points!

l WiLl B3 @ L33T ATS3R

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Reading

I tried to star you - NONE THERE... NOT AN OPTION! WTF?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I dont have much points either,i dont think its much of a big deal..i was going to use 5000 when i got them to get into RATS..but now i dont want to lose them all for some strange reason..decisions decisions.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Little One
reply to post by Reading

I tried to star you - NONE THERE... NOT AN OPTION! WTF?
didnt you know, this is a conspiracy site! make a thread about it! sure to get points then eh?

wait you have to pay your points to get into RATS? whats so good about rats?

edit to say thanks for trying to star me!

[edit on 10-4-2009 by Reading]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Reading

I couldnt star you but even better - I can be your friend!

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Stars are disabled in the BBQ section that's why there's no option.

I generally don't pay much attention to stars really, and I actually am more likely to give one to a well thought out post that doesn't have any stars than one that has 50 of them. Something I've noticed since the stars came out is that a lot of really good posts, even ones I disagree with, are over-looked and receive no stars while someone can post something emotional that's intended to spark outrage or a one liner and get a hundred stars for it. It's happened to me several times.

It can be rather frustrating to take the time to support what you are saying with evidence or proof only to have your post ignored while someone else can come along and post two sentences that don't amount to much of anything and is completely off-topic and they get 15 replies and 20 stars out of it. I'd rather get a response from someone telling me that I am completely wrong and why they think so than have a post I put a lot of thought into completely ignored. I'm not really complaining, though I'm sure it sounds like it, it's just something I have noticed that happens frequently to myself and others. And as others have pointed out, there seem to be groups of people that run around the boards starring each others posts whether the posts make sense or not. I like to call them the star brigade.

Same goes for points. Someone might have 100,000 points but that doesn't mean their posts are any better than someone who only has 10. It just means they post more often or have been here a few years. I've read many a good post by new members, and have read just as many emotional outbursts from people who have been here long enough to amass thousands of points. Points are not an accurate indicator of intelligence nor are they an accurate indication of whether or not someone knows what they are talking about.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Stars have pretty much just become something to use if you agree with the poster. It isn't supposed to be that way ... but that's what I'm seeing a lot of.

Do stars add points? I didn't think so.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Thanks Hun - it doesnt mean anything to me but I suppose 'knowing' the system never hurts right! Ive been here A VERY LONG TIME. One glance at my SIGNATURE and you will see what points mean to me lol.

Nothing.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

this freindship costs points and applauses buddy! i dont want no internet scrub

you have made a freind regardless of points nice to meet you

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Apologies, I haven't read any of the posts because I wanted to reply to the title of this thread.

"Why so cheap with the stars and points?"
Cause we're cheapskates

P.s I was only joking, I read every post before replying. I too find it annoying when people do that.
As for the poo-poo button, no thanks. Me thinks people like me would be knee deep in s**t by now if that was available.

Have a star on me

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join