It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead son's sperm to be saved for mom

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Dead son's sperm to be saved for mom

www.freep.com

AUSTIN, Texas — A judge has granted a mother’s request to have someone harvest sperm from her dead son’s body, so she can have the option of carrying out his wish to have children.
Advertisement

Nikolas Colton Evans, 21, died Sunday at a Brackenridge hospital after being punched and falling outside an Austin bar March 27.

His mother, Marissa Evans, told the Austin American-Statesman newspaper that he wanted to have three sons someday and had even picked out their names: Hunter, Tod and Van.
“I want him to live on. I want to keep a piece of him,” she told the newspaper.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-4-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
This is something I haven't heard of before. I'm not sure where I stand on this. If this mother is able to have her son's sperm saved and is able to produce children with a surrogate, will the mother raise them as grandchildren or a replacement for her son? Would or could this eventually lead to being a normal procedure? Could there be a " sperm saver" box to check on your drivers license someday?

www.freep.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
That's....that's just creepy, and gross..

link   
Oh, okay. When I read the title I thought postmortem invitro incest.

Nice to know people are that weird. Yet, anyway.

link   
That is sick, i would rather die than have kids, and now they want to even take it from you after you die.

If he did not have kids in real life, his sperm should be left alone. Sick world we live in.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
creepy, creepy, creepy, creepy!!!!! How is she gona find a woman to mother a child with this sperm?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I think its not upto us to decide whats best for their family, and if my son ( If I were to become a father) asked or said to me that He wanted children , or that he really desired to have them but something was to affect his health or life, I think I would ask the Doctors to harvest some.
My son may not be alive to see them born , or grow up but at least I'd have something to remind me of his wishes, and to continue the family line and he could pas on knowing that his family loved him enough to do as he requested.
I agree that when I saw the headline I thought " She wants to get pregnant with her son's sperm, ewww gross", but when I read it I understood the meaning behind the story, it wouldn't be a replacement son ( thats Cloning by the way) its her Grandchildren.

Fair play and good luck to them. The problems arise when they find a surrogate mother , maybe she'll want to keep the child to herself?
Who knows.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
How long do sperm remain normal after the death of the carrier? Would they not become...dumbed down after a while? Is there a chance for birth defects? I dont see anything wrong with this, I'm just worried about potential health issues with the children.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
was going to get all moral, over this but im not what better gift than to keep her sons memory alive, as a parant she,s mature inteligent, and wisoned to steer these kids along .

[edit on 8-4-2009 by foxhoundone]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I don't see what the big deal is unless the mother is the one that wants to birth her son's children. Yeah, that would be whack!

Maybe he had a girlfriend who would be willing, and the mother likes, who knows?

Peace

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
My only concern is that she is going to try to use this sperm to recreate her son. I can understand that she must be devastated over the loss of her son, but he can't be replaced and creating a child with his sperm isn't going to bring him back. Not to mention what the poor kid will go through if grandma here is trying to recreate her son. The kid will be all kinds of screwed up trying to live up to the memory of a father he never knew.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Jenna]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

“I want him to live on. I want to keep a piece of him,” she told the newspaper.

We can never expect the dead to live on in our life time. We should cherish the fact that they are free, and have a new chance to find out what really matters.

Of those who, overcome by death, depart from life, a father cannot save his son, nor kinsmen their relations. Mark I while relatives are looking on and lamenting deeply, one by one mortals are carried off, like an ox that is led to the slaughter. So the world is afflicted with death and decay, therefore the wise do not grieve, knowing the terms of the world. In whatever manner people think a thing will come to pass, it is often different when it happens, and great is the disappointment; see, such are the terms of the world.

The Gospel of Buddha

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I really have no opinions on where I stand on this, in one way It's a sweet sentiment that she wants him to live on, but on the other hand, and the one that is really hitting me, it's just downright morose to think that you're going ot keep your dead son's sperm in a jar somewhere until you find a girl willing.

I don't even want to think that she's going to impregnate herself with them, that' would just be.. well.... wrong on many many levels.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This whole thing is...creepy. Real creepy. If I die, the last thing I want my mother to think of is my sperm.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Yeah I dont think it would work. For her or any other willing female. Court takes a while so he must have been dead for at least two months. Id figure that the sperm would be near delapitated and or dead. But thats just my humble opinion.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
What next? Were going to start havesting our Grandfathers sperm so we can have a grand-brother or grand-sister? This world is getting crazier and morbid.
Space Aliens, sorry you have to see this crap......LOL

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I say let the woman do what she wants and honor her sons wishes.

What's an egg donar? $5000 dollars? If the woman has the money....
In fact if they use an egg donar, the mother could even carry them herself (kind of common btwn family members these days).

My number one goal in life was to bring life into this world so I can see where they're coming from.

It's hardly Octomom!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Oh yes, that's just what I'd want to find out when I turned 18.

"No Son, you're not mine, your Grandmother fought to have your dead Fathers sperm harvested - and yes Son, that harvest reaped you."

"Sisters? No, those spermies were tossed in the bin." Gag.

Oh gawd, oh creepy, oh how morbid gross sick.

Think of the mind trip for that kid.

Ew ew ew ew... Being grown from a sperm from a dead guy!

Gag. I'll stop now. Freaking wierdos...

By the way???

Did she ask her son if he wanted this done and his son raised by another man? Or raised by her? So in her selfishness (and so wierdness) she's going to deny the boy a Father?

Grrrr...

peace

[edit on 8-4-2009 by silo13]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
This whole thing is...creepy. Real creepy. If I die, the last thing I want my mother to think of is my sperm.

exactly, why cannot people leave well alone.

If he didn't do it before he died, why should he want to bring someone into the world after he died, whats the point in that.

People are talking about population reduction and we have things like this.

When he was alive he had the choice to do this stuff, but to take away his rights and do it when he was dead, that is creepy.

[edit on 4/8/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by NateNute

I was asking myself the same question. All I know is that alot of them would die due to the drop in body temperature.

By the way, I think this story is weird. A mother harvesting her son's sperm...awkward.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Striker122]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join