It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress to Revive Hate Crime Bill to Censor Christians

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
reply to post by yellowcard

I don't think hate speech is difficult to define. I don't think ignorance and bigotry are difficult to define.

I am all for free speech......but hate speech adds nothing to society.

Hence the whole point of the post you quoted.

And, that was the speech that the OP referenced in their post......the "truth" will no longer be able to be spewed from the pulpit. :shk:

[edit on 4/6/2009 by skeptic1]

So if you say that being gay is wrong, then that is suddenly "hate speech."
Basically any opinion that is generally not accepted by the mainstream is going to be called "hate speech," it's a slippery slope to narrowing the 1st Amendment, smothers conservatism and promotes progressive agendas. I am socially liberal, but when you start narrowing speech, you are narrowing ideas. If someone is spewing hate, then don't listen to it, there is no need for the state to censor it for you. So much for personal responsibility in that realm, will cursing eventually become "hate speech," will questioning a mainstream idea of morality become "hate speech?"

[edit on 6-4-2009 by yellowcard]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
it's ok if they spy on my phone; I'm not doing anything wrong
it's ok if they censor radio; I don't listen to talk radio
it's ok if they spy on my computer; I'm not a terrorist
it's ok if ...
It Is Not Ok
To censor religion (believe in it or not) or anything, Is against our rights. Any church has it's core beliefs. If one doesn't like that church, go to another but church leaders must be able to say what they want before their congregation. Cheeese look at where the finisher went for years and didn't hear a word according to him.
People don't need big brother saying what we can hear or say.
Does this have anything to do with seperation of church and state?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I didn't say hate speech should be limited.

I just said it added nothing to society.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

I didn't say hate speech should be limited.

I just said it added nothing to society.

Oh, well I think that's Universally agreed upon, I thought you were saying that the Government should limit it, I just think it's too slippery of a slope to go down in regards to the first amendment. I think the Supreme Court might actually strike it down, because it's such an obstruction to the 1st.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Just remember, one man's free speech is another man's hate speech. If you want to be able to say what ever you want, others need to have the same right, no matter how inflamatory or hateful their words are.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Thank you GOD! please shut them up!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Before I respond to threads like this, I typically research the source of info cited, it is a tried and true rule of mine to "Consider the source."

While perusing the website to get a flavor for the context of the cited text, I made my way past several articles regarding Right To Life, Prayer in Schools, Expelling Witches and oddly Anti-Obama rhetoric. I began to think I had somehow been transported back in time to an era where tolerance, understanding and forgiveness did not exist.

And then I stumbled upon this handy item:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b59fcbad8c3e.jpg[/atsimg]

Needless to say, I became skeptical of this source and just skimmed the thread. All manner of credibility vanished.

And I would be remiss to not offer a
to Supercertari. It only took you 5 paragraphs to use this thread as an opportunity to divert and bash President Obama. Nice job dude.

reply to post by Supercertari

It became quite obvious to me the veiled guise of this thread.

Perhaps common sense took the week off.

Regards.........KK

[edit on 6-4-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cindy22761

It is right to free speech, and freedom of expression. This congress has got to go down as one of the worst ones of all time, and I am not an organized relgious person.

Perhaps we should all send every person in congress the US constitution? yea...like that will work... These people no longer work for "We the People."

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The opinions in the linked article are alarmist. Language in the bill allows for the expression of freedom of speech. So unless they're upset that they can't tell their parishioners to go out and hurt/harm/kill their homosexual neighbors, that there's no crime in bible discussion.

H.R.1592
Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2007
SEC. 11. RULE OF CONSTRUCTION.

Nothing in this Act, or the amendments made by this Act, shall be construed to prohibit any expressive conduct protected from legal prohibition by, or any activities protected by the free speech or free exercise clauses of, the First Amendment to the Constitution.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Hate speech maybe to each a billion different points of view, everyone and anything can be bigoted, so therefore hate speech discriminates against very narrow kinds of speech and doesn't allow for equal rights for all speech.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
maybe pastors should try telling xians how to be xians - instead of teling gays why they shouldnt be gay

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The bill in question has absolutely nothing... I repeat the bill in question has absolutely nothing to do with religion... Christian or otherwise... the issue exists only in the mind of the writer of the article in question and in the poster of this thread.

One has to ask... just why is it that they feel threatened by a bill that's aim is to outlaw hate speech?

Perhaps they are like the un-reverend fred phelps who seems to equate Christianity with a rabid homophobia... and feel the need to express it.

... People who get hung up with other people's sexuality often have issues with theirs.

I have noticed that when someone objects to a religious group... often funnymentalists... expression of hatred and bigotry towards the different other... that they somehow try and turn the tables and claim that the ones objecting are the bigots for taking exception to their hate...

Sorry it doesn't work that way... hate is hate and it is never wrong to stand up to it no matter what garb it hides behind.

What goes on in the heart is far more important than what goes on in bed.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by grover]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I don't like many Christians and I have some gay friends. I am bent out of shape because I see our constitutional rights being chiseled away. Who decides what is hate speech? Where do you draw the line? Who decides where to draw the line? When does the assault on our rights stop?

You are probably tired of me going on about Japan, but... They can speak or print anything they want and it is still the 5th safest place to live in the world.

For those of you who will tell me to pack my bags and go to Japan. Already a step ahead of you. I am at best a tourist in my home country (U.S.) these days. A tourist that votes
and pays taxes.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
All this bill does is Promote CENSORSHIP.

I am Tired of the Constitution being trampled on!

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Clear as day. Cangress and some of the folks here need reading glasses, of coarse they know what the constitution says, they just want the world to conform to their beliefs only, punishing all others. Then they have the nerve to discuss the Bigotry of others.

about time this bill gets passed! we need less religion and more reality

Yes because your beliefs are the only valid ones, therefor all others MUST be censored, because obviously "nobody" would ever wan't to hear the views of others, just YOU.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by Mikeyy]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

I do not ever use hate speech. My purpose in bringing this to ATS attention was because it a further attempt by the U.S. government to take away our freedoms. I have NEVER visited this christian website before. I saw the link while doing a doing an internet search and was very interested in how and why the government wants to censure our speech.

I LOVE all types of people including gays. My husbands brother was gay. One of My room mates in the Army was gay. I have had many gay friends.

I also do not have hangups about sex. As I said before I was in the Army and had a very active sex life. Why do you insist on making this personal?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by skeptic1

I certainly agree with this post. Now I don't believe in censoring anybody's opinions or the right to have those opinions/beliefs. But when you begin to say that your beliefs and opinions are right and others are wrong, that is where it becomes a problem.

~Keeper

How is that? Because I know or believe I am right, that makes me wrong? Makes perfect sense. I believe Murder is wrong. So because I believe that, It's a problem and should be censored and I should not be allowed to say "murder is wrong" merely because I expressed my belief.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The funny thing is with issues of world control and dominance, that many Christians are saying the same things that non- Christians are saying, but with more humility at times.

Something like this Bill is directed at the moment to Christians, but if I said I wasn't a Christian and not connected to any church and said the same things, it would be acceptable? We will see!

By the way, love ya avatar as well Cindy , lol. It speaks a thousand words.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Now to those Christians trying to say this is horrible... This is ungodly... Remember remember! Your book says the following:

Romans Chapter 13:1-6 1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

K sugarplums?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Not to be mean, but to believe that a gray area like hate crime "speech" and trying to criminalize or amend it, is totally absurd. You give an inch of thread to those in power and as we have all seen, they take it further. Also to believe you are securing freedom for those who are attacked, get real. Ben Franklin said it best....those who would give up essential liberty for "safety" ...deserve neither.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by antmax21]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Hear Hear, antmax. Give them an inch and they take 4. Where does it stop? We need to hold tightly to any freedom we still have and what better place to start? Banning hate speech is just a few steps away from banning speech against the government.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join