It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riot Cops Killed Newspaper Seller At G20

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

If you were there, I don't suppose you've got any pictures? I assume you have given your witness statement to the IPCC and you'll be giving evidence to any inquiry?

It's not that I don't believe he might have got a kosh for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it's hardly because of "animal police beating him to a pulp" or whatever nonsense these protesters have been crying. I mean, the guy must have seen a huge protest going on outside his workplace and waded into the middle of it, with obvious disregard for his surroundings. If it was me, I wouldn't have even gone to work.

Oh, and yes I saw the Guardian story, which is alot more balanced than then Prison Planet garbage.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

If you were there, I don't suppose you've got any pictures? I assume you have given your witness statement to the IPCC and you'll be giving evidence to any inquiry?

I have several pictures and several videos on my sony ericsson, but the one thing i do not have is the necessary cable to upload the pictures to my computer.... This cable cannot be bought 3rd party either, so i'm going to have to shop about before i can even upload them. One day they will be on youtube, but until then....

I've not given any witness statements to anybody, as the last time i dealt with the police complaint dept, they told me that little or nothing could be done without having the police ID details (which i did not manage to take as i was too busy filming and trying to avoid getting bashed / trampled)...

How do i complain about a violent officer when i don't know what he looked like?

As i say i was not there during the day, so any evidence i was to give to an enquiry would be dealing with the actions of the police on the events of the evening and night and not the day time death.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Here are some witness statements.

INDYMEDIA LONDON - PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Various participants in the City of London demonstrations on April 1st have come forward as witnesses to the collapse of a man later identified by authorities as Ian Tomlinson. Four different university students witnessed the collapse of Mr. Tomlinson. "He stumbled towards us from the direction of police and protestors and collapsed," said Peter Apps. "I saw a demonstrator who was a first aider attend to the person who had collapsed. The man was late 40s, had tattoos on his hands, and was wearing a Millwall shirt."

While the first aider was helping the man, another demonstrator with a megaphone was calling the police over so that they could help.

Natalie Langford, a student at Queen Mary, said "there was a police charge. A lot of people ran in our direction. The woman giving first aid stood in the path of the crowd." The running people, seeing a guy on the ground, went around them.

Another demonstrator had already called 999 and was getting medical advice from the ambulance dispatcher. "Four police with two police medics came. They told her [the first aider] to 'move along'.", said Peter Apps. "Then they pushed her forcibly away from him. They refused to listen to her [the first aider] when she tried to explain his condition."

The first aider, who did not wish to be named, said "The police surrounded the collapsed man. I was standing with the person who'd called 999. The ambulance dispatcher wanted to talk to the police, the phone was being held out to them, but the police refused."

Another witness, Elias Stoakes, added "we didn't see them [the police] perform CPR."

Other people who had tried to stay with the collapsed man were also pushed away.

All of the witnesses deny the allegation that many missiles were thrown.

According to Peter Apps, "one bottle was thrown, but it didn't come close to the police. Nothing was thrown afterwards as other demonstrators told the person to stop. The person who threw the bottle probably didn't realize that someone was behind the ring of police." All the witnesses said that the demonstrators were concerned for the well-being of the collapsed man once they realized that there was an injured person.

Natalie Langford said "when the ambulance arrived the protestors got straight out of the way."

These witnesses are happy to give media statements.

They can be contacted through this press liasion email: [email protected]

Contact email: [email protected]

london.indymedia.org.uk...

Jasper Jackson, 23, from London, who photographed Mr Tomlinson's collapse, said he had been standing in front of a line of police dog handlers minutes before he fell over. "The picture I have of him is of him stumbling in front of the protesters and in front of the police dogs looking dazed," he said. "He had a glazed look on his face. Then it was drawn to my attention that somebody shouted to the police with a loud hailer that there was a casualty and said, 'Can we get a medic?' "

The incident appears to have taken place shortly after lines of riot police attempted to clear protesters out of Cornhill Road and away from the Bank of England. Rows of police separated protesters inside and outside the containment pen.

Sporadic scuffles broke out on both sides of the lines, with police using their batons intermittently.

Pictures seen by the Guardian, and corroborated by witnesses, suggest that Mr Tomlinson initially fell to the ground by a window of 11 Royal Exchange, outside the Mont Blanc shop, in front of five riot officers.

A subsequent picture shows him being lifted off the floor by a protester.

Seconds later, he is seen walking past a line of police dogs. He is believed to have collapsed again close to the junction of Birchin Lane, near a Starbucks and Office Angels.

Jackson said Mr Tomlison was then surrounded by police officers who were pelted with at least one missile.

"There were a couple of people throwing bottles in that general direction," he said. "But they were told to stop doing that by the crowd. In fact, some people in the crowd threatened to kill them if they did anything to disrupt the treatment."

Another witness, Fran Legg, said she and a friend had rushed to help Mr Tomlinson after they realised he was not well. "People were calling out: 'Please, we need medics over here'," said the 20-year-old student, from Tavistock, in Devon. "Someone called an ambulance." Her friend put him in the recovery position and noticed he had blood on his face and was losing consciousness.

Legg said protesters were calling for people to move back and give him space as eight police officers arrived. By the time the ambulance reached the scene 10 minutes later, Mr Tomlinson was very white and could hardly breath.

Outside the Bank of England this afternoon — where protesters scrawled tributes on a wall of condolence — two demonstrators who had travelled from Manchester told how they saw paramedics attempting to resuscitate the 47-year-old.

"The officers were white as sheets," said Andy Bowman, a 24-year-old PhD student. "The blood had drained from their faces. They were giving us conflicting stories about what had happened; some of the officers were saying he had a blow to the head and some were saying he'd collapsed of a heart attack."

His friend Thomas Barlow, 26, said: "Some of the police were taking their helmets off, looking shocked.

"We were crossing the road and accidentally looked round and saw it.

"Someone called out, 'That person's hurt', and we went to have a look.

"The policemen around us tried to force us on very quickly

www.guardian.co.uk...

I spent a couple of hours on Cornhill Street after that. It is one of the main streets leading to the Bank of England, and had a lot going on. After an hour or so of rubbernecking to see the protesters on the other side of the police lines, the crowd on the outer side of the police line got bolshier and more aggressive, as did the police. Both seemed to be egging each other on a bit. Channel 4 and the BBC were both there at the time, so the troublemakers in the crowd (both protesters and police) may have been playing to the cameras.

Anyway, for whatever reason, a couple of police thought it would be a wonderful idea to arrest someone and drag him through the crowd. This happened around 7:15pm and was not a very bright thing to do.

In response to this, three dozen or so people chased the police with the protester up the street. Debris was thrown at the cops, various names and epithets were uttered, and the police had to get their backs to the wall and wait for some of their colleagues to rush up with their batons a-batting people left, right and centre in order to clear a bit of space and leave.

Shortly after that, just off a side road from Cornhill Street, came the police with their German Shepherd dogs without muzzles. I went to check on this because I thought I saw someone get chomped by one of the dogs. Getting closer didn’t make for much fun, however, because things were in full psycho mode by that time. The police were moving fast and got either side of me, and when I moved after a cop told me to move, another one was behind me, baton at the ready and German Shepherd barely under control on his leash. Since I had just seen a cop let his dog loose by accident, and only just get the dog under control before it was too late, I was not a happy camper.

I said, ‘Which way should I go? Your buddy just told me to go this way?’ He yelled at me to move, two or three times, and threatened me with his baton and his dog and said he would ‘take me in’. Since we hadn’t even been introduced, and I didn’t fancy a nip of that sort, I left his, ahem, embrace and buggered off 30 yards or so.

A few minutes later, one of the protesters, a man in his 20s or 30s, collapsed on the pavement. The guy was totally out of it when I went to take a look at him. Protesters informed the police, and then allowed the police to carry the man back to their lines using what looked like a tarpaulin to carry him away. Twenty minutes or so later, after the police had used their dogs and more riot cops to clear Cornhill Street back up to Bishopsgate, two ambulances came up Grace Church Street and were let down Cornhill by the protesters and police to attend to the injured. I have since been able to confirm that the person who died was the one I saw.

www.redpepper.org.uk...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
and some more....

Fran Legg, a politics student studying at Queen Mary, University of London, said: "I heard people shouting that there was a man down on the ground and I saw there was someone lying on the pavement on his back."

She said her friend went to help him while she stayed a few metres further back.

The 20-year-old, from Tavistock, in Devon, said: "People were calling out: 'Please, we need medics over here'.

"Someone called an ambulance."

She said her friend put the man in the recovery position.

He had blood on his face and was losing consciousness.

About eight riot police arrived with police medics and stood around the man.

Miss Legg said protesters were calling for people to move back and give the man space and she said the majority of people co-operated.

She said the ambulance arrived about 10 minutes later, by which time the man had gone very white and was having breathing difficulties.

She said by the time police medics took over from her friend, the man had fallen unconscious.

Elias Stoakes, 25, also a student at Queen Mary, from Exeter in Devon, said: "There were a lot of people around him trying to help him and asking for medics.

"One or maybe two plastic bottles were thrown, but it was by people further back in the crowd who did not know what was going on.

"There definitely wasn't a rain of bottles.

"There were lots of us gathered around him telling people to give him space.

"The idea that protesters did not care is completely false."

www.metro.co.uk...

this is a comment posted on Indymedia, by an apparent "action medic"

probable cause
02.04.2009 08:46

from my experience of treating people at demos, this guy most likely died as a direct result of a blow to the head up to several hours BEFORE he collapsed.

a lot of deaths in police custody or on demonstrations stem from being hit on the head, getting severely concussed (or what we medics call 'compression') but not being diagnosed as such straight away. people with severe concussion or compression often get angry, dizzy and confused, and the symptoms can't usually be discerned from the symptoms of drunkenness until it's too late.

RIP, comrade.
street medic

The man who died during last week's G20 protests was "assaulted" by riot police shortly before he suffered a heart attack, according to witness statements received by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Investigators are examining a series of corroborative accounts that allege Ian Tomlinson, 47, was a victim of police violence in the moments before he collapsed near the Bank of England in the City of London last Wednesday evening. Three witnesses have told the Observer that Mr Tomlinson was attacked violently as he made his way home from work at a nearby newsagents. One claims he was struck on the head with a baton.

Photographer Anna Branthwaite said: "I can remember seeing Ian Tomlinson. He was rushed from behind by a riot officer with a helmet and shield two or three minutes before he collapsed." Branthwaite, an experienced press photographer, has made a statement to the IPCC.

Another independent statement supports allegations of police violence. Amiri Howe, 24, recalled seeing Mr Tomlinson being hit "near the head" with a police baton. Howe took one of a sequence of photographs that show a clearly dazed Mr Tomlinson being helped by a bystander.

A female protester, who does not want to be named but has given her testimony to the IPCC, said she saw a man she later recognised as Tomlinson being pushed aggressively from behind by officers. "I saw a man violently propelled forward, as though he'd been flung by the arm, and fall forward on his head.

"He hit the top front area of his head on the pavement. I noticed his fall particularly because it struck me as a horrifically forceful push by a policeman and an especially hard fall; it made me wince."

also includes a picture if Mr Tomlinson on the ground, just after being shoved over.
www.guardian.co.uk...

Police said yesterday that a man who died at the G20 protests near the Bank of England had been walking home from work when he collapsed.

Ian Tomlinson, 47, a City of London resident, fell to the pavement around 7.25pm on Wednesday, close to where lines of riot police had clashed with protesters.

In a statement released by police, Mr Tomlinson's family said: "Ian came from a large, loving family and he will sadly missed by us all. The police are keeping us informed of any developments."

A postmortem is due to establish the cause of death today. Police said Mr Tomlinson had been on his way home from work at a nearby newsagent's when he was discovered on Cornhill, a main road leading from the Bank of England.

There has been no evidence he was involved in altercations with the police. Police sources close to the investigation said they were using CCTV footage to piece together his final movements. Investigations were at an early stage and they currently had "no stance" on the events that led to his death.

According to several witnesses, there had been clashes shortly after 7pm on Cornhill between protesters and riot police, who were attempting to move people away from the bank with truncheons. Sporadic scuffles broke out, with police using their batons intermittently. Police then cordoned off one street.

Photographs taken around 7.20pm show Tomlinson lying and sitting on the pavement about 200ft from where he collapsed. He had one arm in the air, and appeared to be in discussion with five riot police.

The images suggest he was then lifted up by a protester. He is then seen walking away in the direction of the junction with Birchin Lane, where he finally collapsed.

City of London Police said it was investigating the death, which has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

www.guardian.co.uk...

and lastly but not least, an eyewitness on his youtube thingy.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
And to top it all off, after all those eye witness accounts (and there are more floating about) The autopsy report says that he died of natural causes.

But then, it would, wouldn't it. You're not going to get murdering pigs admitting that they murdered him.
uk.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

I have a Sony Ericcson phone (and have had several over the years), what cable is it you need?

(EDIT: Alternatively, you can always send pictures in a text message to an e-mail address. It's what I do when I can't locate the right damn cable when I need it)

As for making a complaint, it should be straightforward. I believe the City of London police are conducting the IPCC enquiry, so that would be the best place to start.

If the police did actually do something, then by all means make them pay. I just call it as I see it and my experience of the Police, even when I am in the wrong, has been nothing short of professional and courteous. They're not all baby rapists like some (not naming names) would have you believe....

[edit on 7/4/09 by stumason]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
To make a complaint against the police call IPCC 08453 002 002, London City police 02076012222, Met Authority 02072020202. For items lost during G20 'police riots' call 02076063110 - If you don't have a complaint call them anyway for a chat, they don't have anything better to do now they haven't got innocent people to beat up :

Have fun:

[edit on 7/4/2009 by Acidtastic]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   

I have a Sony Ericcson phone (and have had several over the years), what cable is it you need?

[edit on 7/4/09 by stumason]

The cable that would enable me to plug my phone into my computer and transfer the images and videos to my hard drive. Not quite sure what it's called but it should have a two pin prong on one side and a usb on the other... A data cable?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   

I know the one you mean. It should have come with the phone, but you can pick one up from Maplin and other places. There is one on sale here, at Amazon.

Like I said, failing that, you can either text the pictures to an e-mail address (just put in the e-mail instead of the phone number), or even remove the memory card in your phone and place it into a card reader, if your PC has one?

It's good you went there and got pictures, I think you should try and get them on here to ATS as it would give a first hand view of what went on during the protests.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I have plenty of footage from the area and the street where Ian died. I'll check through the clips and see if I can spot anything.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by RE2505]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Even when I have been arrested, they treated me with respect, courtesy and were nothing short of down right nice. Do you know why?

...Because you are a Mason - Right?

So the secret handshake thing - it must work out for you.

(But that is to be expected in Britain; who's police are frequently proven heavily involved in Masonic and other subversive organizations - which they use to further their own ends. This quite possibly explains your presence here)

*Such associations do little to inspire confidence in the capabilities and loyalties of those public servants who we have armed and sent out into the public.

[edit on 7-4-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Haha..

No, I'm a Mason in name only, as in I am from the Mason family. I am not a Freemason.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You set yourself up for that one ;-)

But seriously; such organizations are proven to be detrimental to the policing system....

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I'll try and get something sorted with the cable asap, although i hasten to add i am not promising anything. It all depends on how i feel about sharing the videos i have into the public domain.

Thanks for the suggestions stumason.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   

You could also use the Bluetooth feature of your phone (if it has one) to Bluetooth the images wirelessly to a laptop or other PC (even another phone) with Bluetooth capabilities.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I was stood next to Ian and spoke to him before his death. When I first saw him he was stood in the road with his back towards a police van that was trying to get through attempting to light a cigarette. The driver of the van sounded his horn but Ian ignored it. Two riot police (dressed all in black) bounded over and pushed him out of the way. He fell to the floor but seemed unharmed. When he spoke to me I could tell that he had had a few drinks by the glazed look and the smell on his breath, he told me he sells papers up the road (evening standard I think). I asked him what he thought about how the police were treating everyone here today and he said that he was a Millwall fan and was used to it. He wasn't happy that we were being pushed around in his local work area but he seemed harmless enough to me. I didn't see him collapse but I do have some video of the time it happened when the dog handlers came out. I will post it here in case anyone spots something. RIP Ian Tomlinson and condolences to your family.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
How many people were in London during the G20 riots?
+
How many people are ordinarily in London on any given day?

Answer : Millions.

One of them dies of a heart attack, coincidentally in the middle of the rioters/ police... and somehow the police are to blame for that?

It's just a coincidence. If police wanted to be brutal, they could have beaten the s**t out of those breaking windows etc rather than an innocent man walking home.

He just happened to have a heart attack at the same time as the protests, and given the population of London, its not at all suprising.

Alex Jones with his agenda once more... he does himself and his cause such a disservice by engaging in this kind of sensationalism. He's as bad as the MSM- but of course, thats because he derives his income from "journalism"... and is therefore bound to exaggerate.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
so the fact that he is seen being shoved to the ground where he "banged his head so hard I winced" (from one of the many eye witness accounts i quoted) Means nothing to you? I've even put a link with a picture of him just after he was knocked over. You can see him, on the ground.www.guardian.co.uk... In this picture, it certainly looks like he's got a big bruise on the side of his head.
img19.imageshack.us...
I know who I believe, and it is the accounts of the peoplewho were there, witnessing this display of police brutality. I'm certainly not going to believe no scum pigs, who just lie to cover their asses.

The police killed this man, his blood is on their hands. And they'll wash over it like the corrupt bastards that they are.

RIP Ian Tomlinson, the decent people of this country will seek justice for your untimley death. And one way or another, we'll get it.

[edit on 7/4/2009 by Acidtastic]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
the decent people of this country will seek justice for your untimley death. And one way or another, we'll get it.

I doubt it.

Nothing will happen to any of the officers who killed this poor man.

In the slight chance that they are brought to justice, I will issue a retraction.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Originally posted by Acidtastic
the decent people of this country will seek justice for your untimley death. And one way or another, we'll get it.

I doubt it.

Nothing will happen to any of the officers who killed this poor man.

In the slight chance that they are brought to justice, I will issue a retraction.

There may not be justice in the courts, but the next time they kettle a few thousand people in like that, it will kick off hard, and nazi cops will get hurt. (and I will laugh with glee, and i don't care if that makes me a bad person in some of your eyes, I've had it with nazi pigs)

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join