It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you know what your feeding your dog?

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
What are we feeding our pets?

Maybe the most horrific revelation is that your dog food could perhaps contain dead pets, mostly cats and dogs which have been euthanized and sent to a pet food plant. Los Angeles alone ships approximately 200 tons of such deceased animals to manufacturing plants, euthanized animals which have been killed by the administration of Sodium Pentobarbital. The chemical remains in active form in the final pet food product because is withstands the rendering process.

Source

Theres alot of ebooks for sale and other marketing ploys to make us spend our money on information for our pets to make them healthier, stronger and live longer but who do we trust?

My opinion is where ever there is money there is greed and deception. Should we trust what we are feeding our beloved pets?

I am not endorsing any marketing campaign or ploys to buy ebooks alike, all this information should be free!!!!!!!!!!!

But I put it out there who should we trust and why?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Omg, REALLY?
I must research this. Do you have any credible sources that claim deceased pets are in processed pet foods, besides your lone source?

Ty

~Hyp

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Well I know for sure that Beneful does not use dead pets in their food. I would recamend Beneful to any dog owner out there. Healthy Radiance is just wonderful pet food and my dogs cant get enough of it. (Plus their coat is shiney and doesnt smell!!)

As for other companies, I do not know. I have heard they use horse meat, just because there arnt many places to get rid of a dead horse but I have no problem with my pets eating horse meat either.

Now if I did learn that my pet food contained dog meat I would stop buying it immediately. Cannibalism leads to Mad Cow type diseases in almost all animals. The same for humans. Which means your pet would go crazy.

If I think on it further, euthanized dog with rabies isnt a prospect I would want anyones pet eating...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by HypnoAsp

Agreed.
I've read through all the provided links and still no credible sources

Dont get me wrong I think it's very possible it's happening but I would also like to find another source to prove the validity of these claims.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I too have no problem with my beloved pets eating horse meat. It's the kuru as a result of cannibalism, the rabidly deceased, aids, leukemia and euthanasia drugs that have me twitching right now.

Now I'm thinking of a black market for deceased pets and untimely demises. Great, just great I haven't slept yet and now my cogs are just a whirring. I must avoid google and get some rest I will check back on this later.

~Hyp

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I don't care much what my dog eats, I usually just get dog meat and supplement it with hearts, livers, kidneys and any cheap fish. Seeing as the life span is a quarter of ours I just let her eat what she likes to eat, as for the pets in the meat thing I would think it does happen since it's more profitable but I wouldn't bother too much, I'd be more disgusted at the breeders or owners who discarded their pets.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
This is the reason why my dogs get chicken and rice, sometimes steak and dried food, no do meat whatsoever as at best the standard dog meat contains bits of animals that would make a cockroach sick
. If you think this is a bad story this is also why I never eat hot dogs or sausages that are cheap as it is always mechanically recovered meat

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I am not sure about the whole deceased animals part, but thought this was quite interesting:

World-famous vet and dog-care author Alfred Plechner, says the poor nutritional properties of commercial dog food inevitably lead to disease..

"Because many commercial foods are woefully deficient in key nutrients, the long term effect of feeding such foods makes the dog hypersensitive to its environment. . . .

It's a dinosaur effect. [Dogs] are being programmed for disaster, for extinction.

Many of them are biochemical cripples with defective adrenal glands unable to manufacture adequate cortisol, a hormone vital for health and resistance to disease."

Certainly gives us something to think about next time we feed our 'babies'!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
No more doggy treats for me
I used to love the 'bone biscuit' & when younger my dog would share it with me.

Being young at the time I remember a member of my family working on a automated production line dealing with 'animal food' cat's & dog's. I am from England and this was the countries largest frozen food's production unit at the time also dealing as mentioned animal foods...

The shocker for me being the industrial steam cleaning of the production line. The plant producing human food's was shut down & steam cleaned once a week, the plant producing animal foods was closed down each evening and steam cleaned.

Worse still this family member was so certain that the animal food quaility was so much better than the human food's being produced, he went about making a nice dog food pie with excellent crusty pastry. I am happy to report that this family member was sussed out and he sat with pie and enjoy every lil bit of it.

I have looked into this recently and discovered in England at least the meat content in dog food is much better than human food, ie more of it. Maybe I am just barking mad

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by downinafrica

It's a dinosaur effect. [Dogs] are being programmed for disaster, for extinction.

Hmmm...so I wonder where this fits then. Something to think about.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Well..it doesnt really matter,its meat isn't it? might aswell do something useful with a dead dog.I guess the fact they dont list the fact they use dog meat is of concern though.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I used to service the machines used to grind up meat for pet food,
if your pet food comes from one of the major brands manufactured in the US, the meat comes straight off of a human consumption production line.
The pet food manufacturer has a contract with a chicken or beef proccessors, at various places along the line, product that is not suitable for human consumption it goes to the pet food line and into a separate processing system. In the case of of one chicken processor, one conveyor goes to the KFC line and the other to Purina's line.

Euthanized pets are creamated.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Shew..will that puts an end to that! Now we can sleep peacefully.

[edit on 6-4-2009 by downinafrica]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

Thank you for the info. I feel better now. Would like to know how this Internet rumour started and if there is any basis in fact.

~Hyp

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I know exactly what my dog eats, because I cook all of his food myself. He's a 120 lb German Shepherd dog, and is in excellent health. I stopped feeding him commercial dried dogfood when he developed a skin condition that required him to be on a grain and dairy free diet as much as possible, so he gets chicken, potatoes, green vegetables and carrots, sometimes with corn and beans thrown in, or oats, or a very little cottage cheese or natural yogurt. His skin has been clear from a very short time after starting the diet.

I also supplement his food with vitamins and cod liver oil. Diet is everything for him and me, and I would never go back to feeding him commercial food, even although I know SOME of it is ok. I know the dead pets thing might well be a rumour, but I'm not comfortable with mystery meat.

Information on how to prepare your own dog food is freely available online, as well as information on the foods you should NEVER feed your dog, like chocolate and grapes. Please investigate and he'll love you for it.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
Healthy Radiance is just wonderful pet food and my dogs cant get enough of it.

Have you asked yourself why they "can't get enough of it"? Usually, when an animal "can't get enough" of a particular food, it's because it's not providing them with everything they need. Contrary to the labels, very few pet foods are nutritionally complete.

First five ingredients Analysis of Beneful dog food:

1. Ground yellow corn
2. chicken by-product meal
3. corn gluten meal
4. whole wheat flour
5. animal fat

The first ingredient of Beneful Healthy Radiance dog food is Ground Yellow corn. Corn has been linked to many different problems within dogs including yeast infections to allergies. Corn is often difficult for dogs to digest and offers no nutritional value. We usually never recommend a dog food brand that contains corn.

The second ingredient Chicken By-Product meal is also one we try and stay away from. Its hard to determine the quality of this ingredient. Chicken By-Products are usually lower quality parts of the chicken that are rejected for human consumption.

Again Corn shows up as the third ingredient. It shows up in the form of a Gluten meal, which basically means after everything that may be nutritious has been removed from corn, they take whats left over and call it Gluten Meal.

Whole Wheat flour is the fourth ingredient. This ingredient is also one we don't want to see in dog food. Whole Wheat flour is one ingredient that has been linked to numerous cases of dog allergies.

The fifth ingredient, Animal fat is an ingredient in which it is impossible to correctly identify the source. When you can't identify the source usually this means that it is of lower quality.

With all these unwanted ingredients in the first five ingredients it would be hard to recommend this food to anyone. People are drawn to this food due to the cheaper price. One must think about the future. Ingredients in Beneful dog food have been linked to cases of allergies. Allergies = Vet Visits and Vet Visits = $$$. Your dogs food is an investment of your dogs health.

source

Your dogs "can't get enough" because they're not getting what they need.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Yes, this information is freely available online. And from this information, you should have learned that your dog has no use for vegetables whatsoever, especially corn. The potatoes are unnecessary carbohydrates, and should be removed from your dog's diet as well. Your dogs food should also never be cooked.

Dogs are carnivores. They eat meat. While meddling humans have mucked with the sizes, shapes, colors and overall appearances of dogs, internally speaking they are nothing more than domesticated wolves. Nature has given us a great model to base our dogs' diets on.

Dogs should feed on raw meaty bones, complete carcasses, and organs. Organs are rich, so should be given in moderation to avoid cannon butt. Fresh, whole, ungutted fish should be given at least once a week, and is all the "supplements" your dog needs.

Won't my dog get a bacterial infection like e-coli or salmonella if I feed it raw chicken?

Don't forget your dog does not have a human digestive system. The stomach acid of a K9 is over 50% hydrochloric acid.

Won't my dog choke and die on a chicken bone?

Not if you don't cook it hard and brittle. Raw chicken bones are excellent for dogs, especially those just getting started on a raw diet. They are soft enough so that they bend easily, and break well for the dog to digest.

But my vet said a raw diet is bad.

Your vet was educated at a university who's veterinary program is sponsored by Purina.

top topics

join