It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Owning a Bullet Proof Vest is illegal?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dramey

I can vouch that in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, & West Virginia that vest are legal unless you are a felon or have committed a crime with the vest on.

Secure

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
ok so a couple things i have on my mind

seems to be there are legal and illegal vests

seems there is a difference between vests civilians and the government can use

so does that really count as being legal

if the good vests are illegal but the sub par ones are illegal

does that still really count

i mean sure technically its legal because you can legally buy a less effective one

but if they stop you from buying the more effective ones, are truly bullet resistant vests then illegal

for comparison lets say they take the normal version of a specific caliber gun, say a 9mm and make that for government only, then they produce a much less powerful one for civilians, and only the inferior one is available to civilians legally

is that acceptable just because its legal?

sounds like a crappy compromise to me if thats the case

especially if its like one person posted, that any rifle can go thru a civilian vest but not so much an "official" vest

just as an aside i wanted to say i am not arguing with anyone and saying they are wrong as i dont know and am just trying to get a clear picture since it has become obvious the picture i had which was provided by media is clearly not the full picture

[edit on 28-1-2010 by Dramey]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira

I don't see any reasonable need for ordinary citizens to start wearing body armour in public.

I guess that settles it. Since you dont see the need, people shouldnt be allowed to own kevlar.

How about those who may need it that arent cops?

Executive protection personnel?

Armored car drivers?

How about those freedom loving individuals who want to own one simply because they can?

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Where do I get one
Just in case
It is kinda silly to be made "illegal"

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Dramey

Well, it's more a case of the government not wanting people to get their hands on the particular model of armor vest that they use, so that they can know when a soldier has stolen one or illegally sold one off. You can buy level III soft armor, and you can buy the plates that bring it up to level IV. You just can't get the particular brand of IOTV that they use.

As a civilian, you can even order that dragon skin armor everyone's all worked up. Of course, in the same size, for the same level of protection, it weighs even more than a standard vest. But that's the price you pay for comfort, form fitting hard armor, and slightly better multi-hit survivability

Also, to be fair, the military style vests that can actually stop rifle fire are bulky and weigh about 18-25+ pounds, and only do so on an an ~11x14 (for large) area on the front and back of the chest, with optional add-ons for a bit of the sides. That's really not something anyone is going to wear without living in constant real danger

[edit on 28-1-2010 by mdiinican]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent Styx

Fight over urinating dog got police to ambush

www.msnbc.msn.com

Poplawski was also charged with possessing an instrument of crime: the bulletproof vest he wore during the gun battle with police. The criminal complaint does not say how Poplawski obtained the vest.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod edit: moved to forum where thread title is member's decision.

[edit on 4/5/2009 by JacKatMtn]

I really do not feel sorry for this guy if he was using a vest during a battle with the police.If he was in a police battle then he must have done something illegal.I don't feel sorry for the guy.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mdiinican
reply to post by Dramey

Well, it's more a case of the government not wanting people to get their hands on the particular model of armor vest that they use, so that they can know when a soldier has stolen one or illegally sold one off. You can buy level III soft armor, and you can buy the plates that bring it up to level IV. You just can't get the particular brand of IOTV that they use.

As a civilian, you can even order that dragon skin armor everyone's all worked up. Of course, in the same size, for the same level of protection, it weighs even more than a standard vest. But that's the price you pay for comfort, form fitting hard armor, and slightly better multi-hit survivability

Also, to be fair, the military style vests that can actually stop rifle fire are bulky and weigh about 18-25+ pounds, and only do so on an an ~11x14 (for large) area on the front and back of the chest, with optional add-ons for a bit of the sides. That's really not something anyone is going to wear without living in constant real danger

[edit on 28-1-2010 by mdiinican]

thanks for clearing that up with a detailed explanation, much apreciated

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira

I don't see any reasonable need for ordinary citizens to start wearing body armour in public.

I guess that settles it. Since you dont see the need, people shouldnt be allowed to own kevlar.

How about those who may need it that arent cops?

Executive protection personnel?

Armored car drivers?

How about those freedom loving individuals who want to own one simply because they can?

I know tons of civilians that own them, Security Guards, Meter men, Real estate assessors, Store clerks, etc.

Secure

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join